The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "New Vocations "anyone???

Anyone adopt from New Vocations? Experiences? Opinions? I was curious because I've not seen this OTTB rescue mentioned, at least not in the last several months that I've been here.

I have looked into their program because of their work with at risk youth but I don't know anyone who has adopted.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Here's a thread from last year:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...=new+vocations

One of their satellite facilities is near me. They do a nice job with the horses, and get some nice horses in. My only beef with program in general is that the prospective buyer/adopter is not allowed to try the horses out. You can watch one of the NV staff ride the horse and can play with it on the ground as much as you want, but I guess for liability reasons they don't want buyers riding. You can however return the horse pretty much at any time if things aren't working out once you get it home.

Thank you saje for the link (I'm still working my way around this BB), and thanks also to equineartworks for the reply.

I actually adopted a horse from NV last fall, and kind of panicked when I hadn't seen any comments on here about them. I'm happy with the boy I got - in fact, he's turned out to be such a cutie. I adopted 'sight unseen' after I got approved - and while he's a horse I probably would've walked right by in person, I feel that he 'was meant to be mine.' Funny how things work out that way

As an aside, a horse I had been drooling over that got adopted within seconds is one I've been wondering about ever since - anyone adopt a horse named "Morgan's Creek?" He took my breath away!!

Adopted Butters last year from them. The sweetest horse on the planet. What 3yo, just broke allows a hubby to go trail riding on him???

I have two from New Vocations, KT Shannon and City Gone Mad. Both are great horses, and I have nothing but good things to say about the program.

Yes, I adopted through New Vocations and had a great experience. I've had the STB I adopted through them for nearly 6 years now and couldn't be happier. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I found they were very honest and forthcoming with me when I adopted. The adoption process was thorough, but pain free.

I adopted a TB from New Vocations. I actually ride where they used to stable all their horses. They do a great job with the horses, their trainer is wonderful and patient. I know that they even have a chiropractor and an acupuncturist out for their animals. If anyone has more questions, feel free to pm me.

Default callmegold

Hi Anna, how is Gold?

We have several NV horses, including Irish Era and Crown Royal King, and I have also served on the board of directors. This adoption group is absolutely incredible, it started with Dot Morgan whose family is hip-deep in standardbred racing. Dot said her heart broke every time she saw a st'bd shipped off to slaughter because he/she was no longer winning money, and started this organization from her house. Both daughters and several friends in other states are now on board and operate adoption centers. I am still in awe of how well NV matches horses and new owners, and I can tell you because our family has donated former st'bd horses to the program that almost all owners keep track of their donations through the new owner updates.

We also sponsor a class each year at the NV show in July in memory of our beloved friend Dawn who died of cancer at the age of 50. Dawn had a retired race horse (not from NV) and was a special and wonderful friend and horse pal.

The contract recently (2008) changed so that after 1 year the adoptor has full title to the horse. Other adoption groups do not offer that option. Also, if the placement does not work, you can return the horse to NV within 60 days, no questions asked.

PM me with any questions, I can't say enough about this wonderful organization........