The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blue eyes anyone?

My 3 month old bay pinto filly has one blue eye and one half blue-half brown eye. It is very striking, especially because she has a white blaze in the shape of an upside wine bottle, and the white does not go out to her eyes.

She is out of my bay pinto mare ( I rescued her when she was a weanling, so I have no idea of her breeding) by a bay (homozygous for black) GRP stallion with very little white.

So my questions are:
    Are blue eyes popular, do people not care about eye color, or do people dislike it?

Are blue eyes marketable?

Does it make any difference if she stays a pony?

Here are some photo's of mom and baby. The first one shows the right eye which is completely blue. I will look for a photo that shows the left eye.
    http://gs177.photobucket.com/groups/...view=slideshow
    Last edited by kealea31; Aug. 9, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: photo's added

I had a colt who's eyes were 1/2 blue 1/2 brown and it was a huge disadvantage in marketing him in the sporthorse market. Part of it, of course was the excessive white. People like bling, but most do not want excessive bling. He was a nice colt that sold for a fraction of what he was worth.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

The blue is from Splash, which Mom most certainly carries (and she is LOVELY btw!!!)

Some people hate it. Others LOVE it. Others couldn't care less.

The filly is just adorable!!! A Tobiano with more dark than white is sooooo fancy, I just love it. And, I love her blue eye. If I had $$ and space and time, I'd buy her from you in a heartbeat!

Some people hate blue eyes. I don't really care about eye color or coat color - a good horse is any color, imo - but I think blue eyes are kind of cool.

I am definitely in the "does not like blue eyes" category. I'm not fond of white sclera either. Wouldn't stop me from buying the perfect kid's pony though.
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Ditto not liking the blue eyes and white sclera. But wouldn't mind it so much either on a pony if it was a good pony. For the safety of my kids I don't care if the pony is purple polka dot as long as it is a good "babysitter" and trustworthy.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I loff blue eyes. I think most folks either love them or hate them. Few are in the middle. BUT... having said that, even as a pinto person, I am not a fan of a lot of white sclera or a 'human' eye. Which doesn't make any sense, since I love ghost eyes, or glass eyes, or marble eyes...

My tovero medicine hat mare has sky blue eyes, with eyeliner.

The Colonial Spanish filly is Perlino--so completely different genetics at work, and hers are actually lightest *lavender.* It's the coolest thing.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I have a Paint gelding with blue eyes. He is tobiano, but he has a big blaze that does not cover his eyes, so he must also have splash.
    He is actually the only blue-eyed horse I have ever found attractive, although I think your filly is quite adorable.
    I think if they are dark around their eyes it looks much better than white/pink.
    Pics:
    eye:
    http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=chiefeye.jpg
    lots of other pictures that show the eyes:
    http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v..._photos/Chief/
    Last edited by jumpergirl853; Aug. 9, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add pics

Checked out the pictures ... they are very cute! Her markings aren't extreme, so maybe it won't bother folks much.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I have a pinto wb yearling filly with one blue eye. She has a lot of white - I think she is considered a medicine hat. She is a hard sell for the hunter market.

http://www.glenhillfarm.com/2008Foals/RealityCheck.htm

I think the blue eyes look cool when it's on a dark or mostly dark horse. There are some Holsteiners that have had blue eyes over the years, even without much or any white. I think there was one famous international jumper mare with blue eyes but I can't think of her name.

Everyone's horses look adorable. And I think Reality Check is beautiful Glenhill! Def a tough sell for such a conservative crowd but she'll find her niche. Very pretty.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by genevieveg17 View Post
    I have a pinto wb yearling filly with one blue eye. She has a lot of white - I think she is considered a medicine hat. She is a hard sell for the hunter market.

http://www.glenhillfarm.com/2008Foals/RealityCheck.htm
    Shes a frame overo as is her sire, and her sires family, thats where all that white comes from, along with splash white.

Personally, if I had the money to care for a horse Glenhill I would pick her up in a second!
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

There was a total blue eyed homozygous black Knabstrupper snowcap born this year. The head is black and in this he has two total blue eyes. It looks beautiful.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

I thought I didn't like them until I had one with them.

Suddenly, it didn't matter anymore. He was a stunning animal, and eye color became something I didn't even notice.

I have a (keeper) filly this year that has one blue eye and one 3/4 blue eye. She's STUNNING and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. A good pony is a good pony.

(1st 2 pics are of the colt, third picture is my keeper filly)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSept1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	26215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autobrookheadneck01.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	26216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lacey03.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	26217  
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I use to not really like a blue eyes but it wasn't a deal breaker. Then I got my Colonial Spanish and I just LOVE her blue eyes. She's one of the most wildly marked overos I've seen and the blue eye just adds to it.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_7267.jpg

Now I'm in the 'I like/love the blue eyes" crew.

Your filly is absolutely adorable and if I liked a blue eye or not wouldn't really matter. Her markings aren't wild my filly's so it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and Glen Hill, I've loved that filly since I first saw her. I love the wild/extreme markings. But two young horses is enough for me.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

MD--WOW!

Genevieve, I've coveted that filly since you first posted pics of her... drool....

OP, I can't see yours, and I'm *dying* to. But it's requiring some sort of flash update and I can't download anything right now on my very fragile, screwed up OS.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Shes a frame overo as is her sire, and her sires family, thats where all that white comes from, along with splash white.

Personally, if I had the money to care for a horse Glenhill I would pick her up in a second!
    I would take her also if I had the money

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    There was a total blue eyed homozygous black Knabstrupper snowcap born this year. The head is black and in this he has two total blue eyes. It looks beautiful.
    Oh I bet that is cool. I wanna see a pic
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticDynasty View Post
    I use to not really like a blue eyes but it wasn't a deal breaker. Then I got my Colonial Spanish and I just LOVE her blue eyes. She's one of the most wildly marked overos I've seen and the blue eye just adds to it.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_7267.jpg

Now I'm in the 'I like/love the blue eyes" crew.

Your filly is absolutely adorable and if I liked a blue eye or not wouldn't really matter. Her markings aren't wild my filly's so it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and Glen Hill, I've loved that filly since I first saw her. I love the wild/extreme markings. But two young horses is enough for me.
    Your mare is stunning and her movement suggests she has some great conformation. What are her bloodlines?

I used to hate blue eyes. Then I saw this lovely light bay Hanoverian filly (sold, darn it!) that had blue eyes. Now, I love blue eyes *if* they are surrounded by the "color", not the white. For your filly, that's what hers is and I personally like it. I think that for marketing, generally it is not a good thing, however with the ponies I think you can "get away" with it moreso than with the horses. I don't know why, but you see tons of "colored" ponies showing in Germany/Holland where a Palomino/Buckskin/chromed up horse would stand out like a sore thumb. I'd like to see that change.

PS I think the markings on her face look much more like a right side up wine glass, than an "upside down wine bottle". Remember, blue eyes/brown eyes, better if the glass is 1/2 full, than 1/2 empty.