The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question The mechanics of a dressage whip's lash

I just bought a new nylon Fleck dressage whip. I love the length and snappiness, but the only thing I do not like is the fact that you cannot replace the lash if it becomes too frayed.

I am thinking about supergluing the tip of the lash, or perhaps burning it since it's nylon, but I had a couple of questions before I make such a plunge.

Do you want the lash to be at all frayed? Some lashes I see sold are advertised in the supplier's catalogue as being frayed already, so I assume it must be somewhat desirable.

Could someone explain to me the degree to which you want the lash to be frayed (if at all), and the best way to prevent fraying?

I have never even thought about it...is this a serious question?
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    ...is this a serious question?
    Yes, simply because I want to make sure that if I'm spending money on horsey equipment that I take the absolute best care of it. I definitely want all of my stuff to last.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're dragging it around on the ground, the lash will probably last just as long as the whip itself.

Could someone explain to me the degree to which you want the lash to be frayed
    ok then..... I like mine lightly sautfrayed med well
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

ooh... no. Rare, please.

Seriously. I've honestly never thought about it. I use a whip to tap. To remind, or in time with a leg for *more* (reach, sit, etc., depending on where I tap.) I really don't think the lash has ANYTHING to do with it.

I had to keep reminding (chastising) a teenaged student last week the whip is an AID, not a punishment...

But, I am nowhere NEAR ODG status. Not even quite sure I'm living DQ status. I think I might be WTD status...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

As long as you keep it away from small children and people who know nothing about horses, it will last forever with no "lash care".

None of my whips have ends anymore. My kids cannot resist drawing in the dirt w/them. Neither can adults who come here and don't ride. One of the first times I ever yelled at my working student was for dragging a whip in the grit arena, lash down. She is old enough to buy her own now and I hope feels bad, hindsight being 20/20 and all that
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My whips always lose their lashes as they hit the side of the indoor arena. The part where the stiff stops and the lash starts gets raggedy and frayed, and soon the lash part is dangling by a thread or two, then falls off, and you are left with only the stiff part, with the plastic sticking out of the thread covering. I only buy cheap whips, as this happens frequently. I have to buy 3 or 4 whips a year.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    As long as you keep it away from small children and people who know nothing about horses, it will last forever with no "lash care".
    AND CATS! The barn cats find them irresistable.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Is this a spin off of that mascara thread over in Off Course?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.