The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So I applied my first set of Equicasts

and now what?

It was actually FAR FAR easier than I thought it would be.

I was careful not to wrap bulbs, hairline or pull it tight.

It looks tidy.

What should I expect? Will it finally wear away around the toe in a few weeks?

Will a miracle foot appear under?

Will he leap tall buildings in a single bound?

Will he win the next Derby?

I have a client that I am thinking of casting so decided to test run on one of mine.

I am looking at him and thinking-ok now what?

Mine lasted a week. Slipped off perfectly, shoe and all. Farriers first attempt with it.

I still have thoughts of making a candy dish out of it.

Or maybe bronze it like baby shoes.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

What now...

well, as we've discussed, if he's got another abcessing brewing you'll know sooner rather than later!

otherwise..

what did you put under it? Anything?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Why do you think Casts make abscesses appear sooner?

Just curious.

I actually did not put anything under it. I did not want a pancake flat surface so opted not to use a pad.

I wish I had purchased some kind of impression material to fill around the frog-but I guess that would have made a flat bottom as well.

Actually it is pretty flat anyway!

I just went down to give hay and his legs are still attached but no signs of leaping tall buildings yet!

I think they do because they encapsulate the entire foot other than the coronary band.. JMO/E. Surely they limit hoof mechanism a bit.

When you use impression material or equipack under a cast, you don't fill the entire foot.. just the back two thirds, and you can fill more or less. So no, it doesn't create a flat bottom. Certainly you don't have to, I was just wondering, because I see more OH WOW from the horses when you do.. and you had asked what to expect.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yes I can see the oh wow factor would be much greater with packing.

And yes I am certain mechanism is limited is well-probably why some horses feel better with casts.

It was fun to try! I was worried it would be very complicated with lots of adult language. Not a bad word in the barn-went speedy fast and done.

Now that I understand it I would feel more comfy trying it with packing or pads or something next time.

they really are very cool things.

I agree w/you about the hoof mechanism. I also find that in horses w/less concavity, even two weeks or so in casts can make a big difference.

As far as how long they will stay on, I have some clients whose horses are wearing them for 5-6 weeks at a time. The average is 4. The better the hoof form is, the longer they will stay on IME. If you are starting w/crap foot (which I know you are not) then only a few weeks is not surprising. I am trimming/casting a horse now who only held them for 10 days at first.. then two weeks.. then three weeks.. now four... and I think the latest will go 5. By then he should be out of casts and back into shoes.

So now that you have a dremel.. and casts.. the next thing is an Vettec gun and some Equipack..
    ---

Is the Equipack your preference for packing?

I love Equipack, at least partially because of the copper sulfate already being in it. So no thrushy issues. Although even when I use ACS or plain silicone I don't have a lot of problems with that as I prep pretty carefully. Otherwise, yes. It's not firm enough to cause issues for the horses who have issues w/sole pressure but it still obviously provides cushion and support (based on their reaction to it). It's easy to work with, other than the fact that I think the tips and guns are wayyyyyy overpriced and the tips are so long there is a ton of wastage. I whack them off sometimes w/my nippers and have never seen any difference in the quality of the product when mixed less so not sure that's a potential factor. Still, I only do that when I'm using it on my own horses.
    ---

They make little individual tubes! Unless you are using lots of it, I didn't notice a huge price difference-a little more but whoa way easier to use.

They had little Adhere singles...I bought those but no packing...

I was too chicken to Adhere this time so the cast may flop off in a few days.

I will have to make another trip for some Equipack I guess!

They make extra tips for those little Adhere packs too...they come in handy. I think if you buy 6 of the Equipack cartridges, you get a free gun. I can't remember where I got mine..might have been off the Equipack site itself.

I haven't seen any real miracle cures with Equicast but it does help a thin soled horse a lot. I like to use them for horses coming out of shoes if I suspect at all that they might be sore. I have used them for a mild founder also and that went very well. Horse was very comfortable.

I've done lots of casts on Libbey. I never glued them on. I used Equipak once and HATED it. It was fine, until about a week later the horse came up dead lame and was rocked back on her butt unable to walk a single step. I cut them off, and the Equipak was as hard as cement. It was like hard rock in her foot and when I pulled the Equipak off, a thick layer of sole came with it, as did a thick layer of frog. Never used it again. That was the little individual tubes.

The 2-part impression material from Epona is great, but their order form isn't functioning at the moment.

She always wore through the toe a bit, but really not that much. Never lost a cast, and the longest I left them on was 5 weeks, I think. Her feet grow so weird that after 3-4 I'd pull them off and trim her, then reapply.

Have you noticed any difference in HOW the foot grows during the casting time compared to without it?

In other words Milo does not grow a lot of hoof wall down-his walls stay worn off close to the sole but he will flare.

I am wondering if something is locking the foot in this hard as rock casting 'locks' the foot from splaying? So it won't flare as much but grows down?

Or is it just not as hard as it seems?

Has anyone actually ridden in them? I think EqT has horses ridden in them?

I am still a little worried about traction but I guess I will know soon enough.

The casts are not going to flop off in a few days, despite not having used any glue

Yes, in a few days you may see the toe worn though - Rio did.

Glad you did it! If nothing else happens, it's a great experiment

Also-do they provide any benefit to a horse with navicular?

I have a new client (some of you have seen the rads and photos)-his hoof form is...well...bad.

His coffin bone is pointing down and not much sole at ALL below the tip of P3.
    Sky high heels.

Would Equicast help or hurt a horse like this?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The casts are not going to flop off in a few days, despite not having used any glue

Yes, in a few days you may see the toe worn though - Rio did.

Glad you did it! If nothing else happens, it's a great experiment
    Yes I can see how the toe would where through-in just a few hours on hard ground I can see a difference in the toe.

I have a funny feeling there WILL be adult language when it is time to remove them?

Yes it is a good experiment!

I never noticed a difference in growth pattern, but then I was dealing with a foundered horse. I've also used casts on a couple of other horses for only one cycle. Not enough to notice any difference in growth.

Riding - yes, I've ridden Lib plenty of times in casts, but only on soft dirt and grass. No traction issue, but the kind of riding she does can't exactly be called challenging or risky. We have trotted and cantered in them and had no problems.

Adult language when removing them - ABSOLUTELY! Haaaa. I have had my husband help me every time. I just get so frustrated. You have to rasp through the whole wrap all the way around the foot, then nip down the back then pry them off with pliars. I'd rather pull shoes, and I dont like that job either! haa

P.S., and a note about rasping through the wrap. You will be creating a cloud of fiberglass fibers so be careful about breathing the stuff in.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I have a funny feeling there WILL be adult language when it is time to remove them?
    Not if you remember to rasp the bottom surface first

When you start to see it wearing fully through at the edges, then you can get your knife under there, cut around the edge on the sole side, and you'll be able to peel it off, more or less.

It's EASY if you're doing it right, so if you're struggling, don't continue to struggle - step back and figure out how to "open the door" instead of "busting through the wall"

You are actually telling me to open a door rather than bust through a wall?

Are you confusing me with someone else?

Ok, let's see...

A2 - very weird about the Equipack. I've never had that happen and I use a lot of it. Bad tube maybe? I did have one that didn't mix quite right and I threw it away...

I go thru a lot so no little tubes for me I should become a Vettec dealer.

No strange foot growth but you will probably be shocked about HOW much foot they grow... you are used to them wearing down while bare.

Taking them off - yes, there is a way to do it that works well and is quite easy. Take a deep breath and step back anytime it seems hard..

but don't use a good rasp

The toe will wear thru very quickly, don't worry about that and don't take them off because of it (as one of my clients did)

I ride in them all the time, haven't had any issues with slipping now that I set them down in kitty litter or sand.
    ---