The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is this an attractive hunter photo?

If a hunter prospect's ad led with this photo, would it appeal to you? Not a pricey horse (sorry, no more details as I don't want to cross into advertising). I'd like to gauge whether I'll need another photo shoot. Thanks!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/...d67d1c830d.jpg
    Last edited by LarissaL; Aug. 9, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

It's not terrible by any means, but if I were marketing the horse, I would try to get a photo with the neck a little longer and lower and the horse a little cleaner.

For me, I'd like to see the horse super clean. I'd also like to see the rider super clean (not hunter show outfit, but at least a nice polo. (and I comment on the rider, not to critique, but because I think the rider completes the picture....a distracting rider takes away from the horse)

As for the movement of the photo....I wouldn't be too excited about this horse based on this photo...I don't know if she actually is, or its just the angle, but the horse looks like she's leaning into her circle.

Her ears make her look slightly irritated...and she's not in any sort of frame (in MY opinion). More just an average looking horse.....

I think you need to get photos that make your horse special. Make her stand out in the crowd. In this market, that is super important.....because the buyer can be extra picky about what they're looking for.

home: Warm Beach, WA college: Amherst, MA

I find the rider and background a bit distracting. Perhaps she would be more invisible in a polo shirt and tall boots? The long whip could go away too. The grass is long and objects in the background are noticeable. Also, I'd like to see the horse CLEAN! White markings, pulled mane. If you are advertising it as show-ready, it should look like a show horse! The horse looks great in the photo, that is the correct 'moment' to take a picture of the trot at; mostly because you can hide if it's a good mover or not. So perhaps include a conformation picture as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
    I would try to get a photo with the neck a little longer and lower
    Hah, he's an Arab/Saddlebred so that's always a good thing to keep in mind Thanks!

Hate to say it - but I'd do another photo shoot. You know the old expression, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression," and while this photo is not downright bad, I think you could do better.

I agree.
    Firstly, I think the background is pretty distracting. Like the block thing and swingset(?) on the left.
    The horse looks pretty good... since your marketing him/her as a hunter, you want their head long & low. Also, the horse should be turned out as really clean (not saying he looks abused dirty! But if we're talking ads). Maybe give him a bath, pull his mane and clip him up a little.
    Nextly, the rider looks pretty good, however I'd suggest maybe wearing your field boots and a clean polo. If you can, it would be great to put your horse in a bridle that matches the leather of your saddle or vise-versa.
    Good luck!
    EDIT: Went back and looked at the previous post..I pretty much said everything that was stated above =P

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. Bummer, as I have limited use of a photographer and would have liked to reuse a photo, but I'll have to turn up some extra resources to get it done

As for the clean, I have a newfound respect for you guys and your hunter chrome with this horse. I swear he's stained himself straight down to the skin with that red dirt.

Also, one thing! Maybe if you can loose the dressage whip just for this photo session? If possible! Nothing bad with dressage whips, but it would just make the picture less distracting, IMO

Maybe for your photoshoot, after a bath if he's still not sparkling white....baby powder might work to 'cover up' the red dirt??? My horses don't have much white, so I don't have this issue, but its just a thought

where are you located at?

If your close enough I might be able to help you out with a photoshoot.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Additional, fussy details:

If you can, use a fitted pad that shows an even 1" around the saddle. The one you have is distracting because of the bulge of pad behind the flap.

If you can, I would put the horse in a D ring snaffle and make sure the bridle fits correctly with all the straps neatly contained in the keepers. Full cheeks are not out of bounds in the hunter ring (in fact, many would say they are traditional,) but they aren't what's in. If you were asking a training question, I would not even mention the bit, but in this case, you are trying to represent a rather unconventional animal as a hunter and "dressing for the party" will help to convey suitability.

For that reason, I also echo the comments about the rider's attire. If that were my horse, I might even put the show clothes on and braid the horse to give the appearance of being at a (hunter) show. You are trying to help the buyer picture your horse in the hunter ring, so the less you leave to their imagination, the better.
    Last edited by Lucassb; Aug. 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: fix typo
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by MDEventer View Post
    If a hunter prospect's ad led with this photo, would it appeal to you? Not a pricey horse (sorry, no more details as I don't want to cross into advertising). I'd like to gauge whether I'll need another photo shoot. Thanks!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/...d67d1c830d.jpg
    If I were looking to buy another hunter <heaven forbid> looking at this photo I would ask the seller:
    1....how small is he/she. Cause to me the horse looks small with the rider.
    2....Why are you focusing on hunter prospect. The horse doesn't "look" the part with the head and neck up and tight and not soft in the back <think more long and low> The legs do, but not the overall look and that does include the ears.
    3...I agree that you need to lose the dressage whip, even though i ride with one for avertisment purposes, no

Overall picture needs to be a relaxed...lower frame horse whoe appears pleasant. the legs are good enough.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

An eventer to an eventer: I wouldn't consider this a good sale picture for any discipline, for all the same reasons every one has mentioned for the hunter market. When I get a horse ready to take pictures for an ad, I groom the horse as if he were about to go to a show- a good bath, mane neat and tidy, everything trimmed up, tail brushed out. He should look like all I need to do is braid him before he goes to the show ring. I worry SLIGHTLY less about the rider (usually me), but I try to put on clean britches and preferably my boots (but not always), and a clean shirt, preferably a polo (I NEVER wear tanks in sales pictures). If we take pictures in the ring, we drag the ring first, and if the horse is jumping, we build attractive jumps (usually with good ground lines so they really jump well). If we are doing pictures in a field, we try to not take them where there are distracting things in the background (though, you can always crop stuff out).

This is a silly picture and was just a snap shot as I was riding this horse to the ring for a set of sale pictures, but he's a paint and you can see how sparkling clean I got him for this (he was not fancy and was very, very green, but I "dressed" him up like he was the fanciest thing in the barn, like I do all of them)- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=840606599

This picture is another picture that I don't think we used in an ad (someone requested a confo shot, and I think we cropped some of the distracting stuff out of the background when it was sent). The mare is sparkling, shiny clean (I actually might not have given her a full on bath because they all typically look this good after daily grooming), her whites are WHITE, her tail is clean, brushed out, and neatly banged. Her bridle is clean and I'm in clean britches, clean boots, and a clean polo- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=840606599

Default Just to add

If you are going to use the full cheek snaffle, it needs keepers.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. Bummer, as I have limited use of a photographer and would have liked to reuse a photo, but I'll have to turn up some extra resources to get it done

As for the clean, I have a newfound respect for you guys and your hunter chrome with this horse. I swear he's stained himself straight down to the skin with that red dirt.
    I keep my Pinto/Wb body clipped all summer. Just makes it easier to clean and keeps the white, white. Just a thought to make it easier on you. As for the picture. I agree with the others, clean, pull mane, etc.

dirty horse and tail, sour expression from horse and rider, unkept pasture, poor riding attire, crop unhunter like, and helmet. screams backyard!!!
    Having said that I do like your horse's movement and head, have to get going or would say more, Good luck, get a nice picture and you'll be glad you did!

I don't care what the rider looks like. But the background is driving me nuts--it's too dark, especially around the horse's head where he has black--he blends in.

The number one thing I care about if I'm looking at pictures of horses is that the horse pops out. I don't care if he's show groomed, I don't care what the rider is wearing, I could not care less what equipment he's using, I want to be able to see the HORSE. My biggest pet peeve is conformation photos that aren't, with the horse fussing, standing in a hole, turned at an odd angle, etc. For a riding shot, a light background with no extraneous junk and a horse who's clean will make me look twice. Dark or blurry and I don't care if he's turned out to suit George Morris's taste.

And your horse is a cutie. Nice trot!

Call me crazy, but if it's a hunter prospect, I want to see him over a jump.

If he hasn't been started over fences yet, build a (safe-looking) chute and free jump him a few times.

If I were looking at an unconventional breed for a hunter, I would darn sure want to know if he jumps nice.

Hah, he's an Arab/Saddlebred so that's always a good thing to keep in mind Thanks!
    If you're aiming him at the hunter market, learn not to volunteer this information. Let them see the horse first if possible, and if the ad makes you list a breed list it as something like crossbred or sporthorse. If someone asks of course tell them the truth about how it's bred, but since it's an unconventional cross for the hunter ring you really want them to get an impression of the horse before giving them the automatic impression that it is not suitable due to its breeding.