The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you like Dover Saddlery's new website design?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's an improvement!

12 22.22%
  • The old one was better!

23 42.59%
  • Eh, who cares?

19 35.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Dover Website- Yea or Nay?

So what do you think of Dover's new website?

I think they made a huge error. I have to scroll right on my netbook to see all the tabs! They did not scale it for viewability at 1024 pixels wide- seems like very poor design

Far too many tabs- should have major categories and subcategories. Too busy, too much going on.

I like the old one better too.

OT but....is that Captain Canada on the cover of the catalogue?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

It looks cheap. The other one was much simpler, much classier.

I thought the old one was dull and disorganized. They needed an update. Not saying this one is great or anything - it's hard to make big shopping websites look great, I think. They tend to be rather generic which this new one certainly is.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Is it just me or do old and new Dover sites take both forever to load? My computer doesn't seem resistant to other sites. I'd be psyched if their pages just loaded faster.

What is the meaning besides "Don't spend money you don't have on stuff you don't need with peeps who can't do customer service?"
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Is it just me or do old and new Dover sites take both forever to load? My computer doesn't seem resistant to other sites. I'd be psyched if their pages just loaded faster.

What is the meaning besides "Don't spend money you don't have on stuff you don't need with peeps who can't do customer service?"
    They just have the slowest servers ever.

I don't have any problem viewing the whole site. I kind of like the tabs. I want a blanket I click blanket, I want a bridle, I go to bridles. I don't like to wade through a bunch of layers.

I also like the phone number displayed at the top but I don't see why they need to put a picture of a model on the chat link. That looks tacky.

I also like the option to view all the items on a single page. I don't remember if that was available before but it's a huge plus for me on any site. I scan quickly and get impatient waiting for each page to load.

Irrespective of their design, the site is very slow. That drives me nuts. Nuts enough to hit the big red X and shop somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I don't have any problem viewing the whole site. I kind of like the tabs. I want a blanket I click blanket, I want a bridle, I go to bridles. I don't like to wade through a bunch of layers.

I also like the phone number displayed at the top but I don't see why they need to put a picture of a model on the chat link. That looks tacky.

I also like the option to view all the items on a single page. I don't remember if that was available before but it's a huge plus for me on any site. I scan quickly and get impatient waiting for each page to load.

Irrespective of their design, the site is very slow. That drives me nuts. Nuts enough to hit the big red X and shop somewhere else.
    I was sucked in and started shopping, lol! Unfortunately for them, the peeps want to charge me $10 for shipping two small pairs of rubber bell boots. Um, no thanks. Hit the big red X.

The layout and functionality are fine, but it looks very inelegant. Needs a good designer to pretty it up and make it look professional.

I think it is plain but very clear and serviceable.
    Artistic designs are fine, if they don't clutter.
    This site is sure not cluttered with any other than the merchandise and that is what they are all about, right?

I don't remember the old one, but didn't use it much anyway.

Three horse people, five opinions, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    It looks cheap. The other one was much simpler, much classier.
    I agree... and I thought the old one was more professional looking.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

It's viewable on my computer, but did take about 5 minutes to load everything on the home page. I don't know if their servers are slow, my dial up is slow, their photo sizes are too large, or what. Very frustrating.

I do like the live chat function. I don't mind all the tabs and kind of like the "most popular searches" feature. The home page seems functional and directs me to where I need to go. I didn't go deeper into the site because I feared it would take forever to load the next page, too.

I voted who cares. I generally look at the catalog and then type in the number I want. I can't be bothered with scrolling through a website. Or, better yet, I just head over to the Dover store 15 minutes from my house.

definitely a step back in the aesthetics, and adding all the blinking flashing nonsense doesn't' help their load times either...I vote for the old site. This one looks circa 2003-2005 shopping cart. There are so many gorgeous new ways to build carts...such a shame they went backwards.

The one improvement I see is that I can indeed SEE the text. My eyes weren't THAT bad

They should hire ME to fix it! I would make it look oh so pretty!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Matches their Smith .Bros site now. You know, where the same stuff costs less.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

They should have spent the money on coming up with a new shipping structure that might make them competitive with VTO, Smart Pak, Farm House...

I am a big time comparison shopper- and nothing ever is cheaper from Dover when shipping gets factored in. Notably, I had the same issue with Eddie Bauer- liked their clothes, but they too shipped by order cost- it was high and slow. Notably they are bankrupt....

I am starting to really like Farm House...like I like VTO...scary.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Default Oh, so it's not just my system ~

Same here, the site takes so long to load I run out of patience waiting. When I get email notifications of their deals of the week, I won't even bother to click on that, unless I'm trying to kill a bunch of time while waiting to go to an appointment.

What makes me nuts is those deals they seem to scream are such good bargins. You click on a desired item and it's for some insane size, color or brand no one ever uses, so what's all the hoopla about?

Anyway, true, the absurd shipping costs negate any real savings. I rarely shop Dover any more. Ebay and Smart Pak are MUCH better.

I would have been much more impressed with a site that loaded faster :\ I was so annoyed with how slow it was yesterday I just gave up!

I also dislike the "live chat" model pic...makes me feel like a desperate single

Anyway, I don't use Dover much for 2 reasons; 1. shipping costs, which has been mentioned already 2. They ALWAYS mess up my order. Takes many phone calls/emails to get what I ordered