The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mix and Match Schooling Event Area 1 Aug 16

We will be running another one of our Mix & Match schooling events here at Flatlands in Rehoboth, MA Sunday Aug 16th. This schooling event runs w a unique format. Pick your dressage test and show jumping height independantly. Show jumping fences are the advertised heights and have quite a few different shapes including barrels, wall, pannel, planks etc.

For XC, riders design their own course of 10 to 12 fences in a 3 acre fenced in schooling field. Fences range in height from 18" to 2'11 w the majority of the fences being 2'6. Types of fences include a cordwood, brush, roll top, ditch, bank, dog house etc. You leave a start box just like a recognized event - jump your fences - then pass thru the finish when you are done. Penalties are scored like recognized events however if you have problems at a fence, you are not required to re-present to it.

This is the second in the series of three of these events this summer. We will be offering year end prizes to the horses w the best scores in 2 or the 3 events. For entry forms, go to the website at http://www,flatlands-equestrian.com or email Lindsey at Lj1310@msn.com Entries close Monday August 10th.

Joan from Flatlands

Really cool. I have always wanted to be able to do something where I pick a different level for each phase. Wish I were in your area.

It really is a fun format! With the "design your own XC", its fun to watch the green horses and riders progress from the 18" telephone pole piles to the 2' cordwood then the 2'6 dog house as the smile on their face gets larger and larger! We dont need to know the course in advance - basically they can play in the XC field until they have jumped 12 fences if they dont want to jump a pre-designed course then pass thru the finish flags. We have been doing this for about 5 years now and it has been very well received!

Joan from Flatlands