I think we should hear more about the situation for the person who would take the grey TB. It is great to think of another horse getting a home, but it is a reality that they cost money from the minute you own them.
And what is the time frame (if any) that the broker would hold him if he knew there was interest in the horse?
She's done rescue before and like my case, I have the means to take care of Rally, just couldn't put up the full amount for his ransom and everything else. This was her response which is what led me to post here that someone was interested if we could help her...
"I looked around the AC4H website and found a grey TB that really
caught my eye...he looks a lot like my grey Standardbred. I emailed
Christy about him..I'd love to help keep him from being sent to
slaughter...he's with the brokers now (ARGGGGHHH). I cannot afford to
'buy him', since my own rescue expenses keep my funds pretty slim, but I
would take him in and foster him if they could raise his ransom (I could
help a bit....just not all of it)....I didn't hear back yet, but I'm sure
she is busy and I know they are 'in' Wed-Fri, so I hope to hear something
back.....You should go take a look...he is a recent rescue."
Her name is Tammy and I sent her the link to this forum and told her to sign up as well. Rally is doing awesome and whinnied to me at dinner time which was a first. He also made me laugh when I did my last night check (around 1am) gave him an extra flake of hay and came in. You can see the stairway light in my house from his stall and the second I shut the light he let out a very loud neigh. I felt so bad and was very tempted to sleep in the barn (but what would that have taught him?) He's doing great though. Added electrolytes to one of his buckets but he's still hardly drinking any. Hopefully he'll get the hang of it soon.
The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.
First I would like to say what a pleasure it is to ‘meet’ you all! I found this website through Jessica that recently rescued the ASB. I met her by trying to help with her transport needs for the gelding. “There are no coincidences! Things happen for a reason!”
Anyway, I am an approved foster home for Standardbred Retirement Foundation (SRF). I have been fostering for them for the past 5 years…after moving to my own place…a 10 acre private farm in Germansville, PA. I’ve had horses my entire life and I adopted my first horse from (SRF) 13 years ago…she’s still with me, of course!
When I went to check out the gelding that Jess was rescuing it absolutely broke my heart, as I would love to save them all. It’s a disgrace and so very sad what happens to these beautiful creatures! Anyway, the grey TB gelding caught my eye…he looks a lot like my grey Standardbred gelding. As much as I’d like to ‘save them all’ (as we all would!), I have learned to accept that I cannot…BUT, that my helping even just one is something!
I have the room and the means to take him in and take really good care of him; however, I do not have the funds to ‘buy him’. I am actually taking in a TB gelding next week as I have a Standardbred going out for adoption.
I do not know how to reach the brokers directly….and I’ve tried to reach Chrissy about trying to save this grey TB gelding by getting his ‘ransom’ raised, but I haven’t heard back from her yet. I will do what I can…I can get him transported from New Holland…I can give him a stall and a home and love…I just need to get the financial help to get him saved from slaughter! I welcome any questions you have….I saw that someone said he is scheduled for Thursday…GOD, I hope that is next week and not today!!!! Please let’s ban together and get him another chance at the good life he so deserves!
Again…nice to ‘meet’ you all….I look forward to getting to know you and actively participating on the forums!!!
Here's the LINK...Grey TB going to slaughter..needs help NOW...
Here is the link for the grey TB I am looking to collect ransom for! His ransom is $800.
His 'number' (God forbid they allow themselves to use 'names'!!!!) is 7-21-08.
Since I don't have the heart to go to New Holland and select 'just one' to save, while seeing all the others that are sentenced to death and innocently waiting for the trailer ride from hell to get to 'hell' to be brutally killed and consumed...this is my way to do it! The horses I have rescued were going to be sent to the sale...and ultimately stood a good chance to be sold to the killers/brokers....but I intercepted their going there. I totally commend the folks that regularly visit the sales and either out-bid the killers...or go to the killer pens after the sale and 'pull some out'! I wish I could, but I know myself and I don't have a tough enough skin for it...that and I'd probably get arrested for my interactions with the many horrible people that aren't there to rescue...but to sell and/or slaughter bound buyers....
Anyway...I'm new to this website and the forum...but I agree, if we could post a new thread about this 'rescue effort', that would be great. I'm not sure where the best place to post such a thread would be. If someone can start one, great....OR, if someone can point me in the right direction...I'll do it.
I also posted on the other thread, I believe this horse has been purchased from the dealer and is going to a rescue. His name is Storm Exchange. That was the arrangement from last night. He was supposed to leave today.
Well I'll be quite confused. I know here we thought he was rescued but in the other forum....
#29 Aug. 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Training Level Join Date: Aug. 5, 2009
I just received this from Christy "I just got off the phone with the broker he went down to the barn to look and said he is looking at the horse he is still there and no one has helped him. He still needs a home." So if anyone is interested in donating let Christy know. email@example.com
ETA On AC4H's site it says this next to his pics "Coth Forum is sending payments for this horse to go to his home. " So what's the verdict?
Last edited by JLMet; Aug. 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.
Due, no doubt, to the assertion made by Hitch, that somehow AC4H was not a bonafide 501, the other thread was pulled. The grey gelding is still at risk- and he is available. Sadly, Bev's information was not about this gelding, apparently- I hope another one got saved.
In any event, I have PM'd the Mods, to ask for some clarification.
If it is necessary for us to donate to AC4H, rather than simply send funds, and have the horse pulled, we will need to have our potential adopter approved. This will also allow all donations to be tax deductable, and you will receive a receipt from AC4H for your taxes. Tammy, I would suggest that you fill out the necessary forms on AC4H's site, and we can do this according to Hoyle. At that point, we will be working to save a horse directly through the process, and, while there will still be those who do not agree, we wll be in line with the fine print of COTHs requirements.
I just now saw this discussion about the grey TB gelding. He was tentitively ID'd as Storm Exchange (I would not represent him 100% on that ID but I'd say it's highly likely that is who he is). I asked Christy about him the other day as he's been available for two weeks- there was only one private inquiry on him and nothing came through/no further interest.
Not sure if he's still available as there was a load of horses that did ship. Will check to see one way or the other.
Marli I think people were questioning the status of the potential adopter, not AC4H.
eta...I just read the post from ASB_Stars, I guess I spoke too soon. Sorry about that!
"If it is necessary for us to donate to AC4H, rather than simply send funds, and have the horse pulled, we will need to have our potential adopter approved. This will also allow all donations to be tax deductable, and you will receive a receipt from AC4H for your taxes. Tammy, I would suggest that you fill out the necessary forms on AC4H's site, and we can do this according to Hoyle. At that point, we will be working to save a horse directly through the process, and, while there will still be those who do not agree, we wll be in line with the fine print of COTHs requirements."
I completely agree!
I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques
Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.
just posted on the other new discussion- but I see now what the situation is. Tammy needs to complete the requested info for AC4H if there's going to be any attempt to save this fella (references/approval to adopt).
That's right folks, to comply with the forums' guidelines, the proceeds from any fundraising activities conducted here must go directly to a 501c3 organization.
If AC4H sets up a fund for the TB, someone is welcome to start a new thread about it.
ETA: We do understand some COTHers concerns about the idea of sending donations or promoting horses that profit a broker and we have/continue to debate the where to draw "the line" on issues like this.
At this time, if a 501c3 organization is able to legally accept funds as tax-deductible donations, it passes muster per our current rules. We have currently allowed AC4H broker listings in general under a similar framework as we do OTTB trainer listings with other 501c3 organizations.
We very much understand the differences in these situations and why people would prefer to support one situation over the other, and we continue to examine the best, most fair way to establish rules to govern these situations on the forums.
We don't want to sidetrack this thread with a debate about the topic, so please feel free to PM or email me with your thoughts.
Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 7, 2009 at 09:29 AM.