The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry HELP Abandoned Horse Dying and no one will help

My daughter who is a sheriff's deputy received a call about a "stray" horse who had wandered into someones yard and was clearly in mortal distress. The horse although in good flesh, was clearly colicing severely, throwing itself on the ground to the point blood was running out of its ears. Her boss will not permit her to shoot the horse, animal control guy is "on vacation". Livestock board doesn't see what they can do. No vet will help. Horse rescue people are also "on vacation".

ANY IDEAS????? I am really upset that this poor sweet old horse is going to die in agony because nobody can or will do anything, plus the horse is now out by the road and someone could get seriously injured if they hit it.
    Second place is first loser.

What state are you in?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

New Mexico

oh oh oh... that's a very sad situation, and everyone will have their advice and opinions, but I can already hear the train coming and I don't have time for it right now...

Seriously?! you really believe that internet is the place to look for help in case of emergency? What does that mean "no vet will help"...?
    The time you spent typing this message is that much less time you spent trying to help this horse!

Sorry to be so tough.... but forums are not here for emergency situations! Go take the horse out of the road!

I have had this happen. I gave the horse 20 cc of Banamine - 10 in the vein 10 in the muscle. Put in a safe dry lot and called my vet. I would rather administer aid than allow the animal to suffer. The mare recovered. It escaped from a neighbor and wandered 2 1/2 miles to get here. Must have been looking for help

In Illinois i would call the Dept of Ag - New Mexico - I would not know whom to call.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

The horse is not mine, I cannot afford to be held liable. There are only two vets in this area, one will not answer the phone ther other declined to come out since there is no owner available. Also I live on the other side of the county. My daughter called me to ask for help, since she had run out of ideas. She would shoot it, but her supervisor will not authorize it.

How about some ideas instead of criticisms????

PS although my animals are well cared for I am not animal control or the livestock board, nor do I wish to be. If the horse belongs to someone else, I am not going to open that can of worms by treating or shooting it. Same reason the vet won't come. I guess it will just have to make it or not on its own. Sorry I asked.

Default ModeratorsPlease lock this thread

Have no desire to start train wreck. Just close the darn thing!!!!

Give it some freaking banamine. If an owner magically appears you don't have to tell them what you did. If the horses dies anyway hopefully it will have a little comfort in the process.

Read my post, the horse is not here. It is 50 miles away!!!

Ok then someone 50 miles closer give the horse some banamine. Personally I would be calling 911 as many times as it took to get someone to give a crap, but posting on COTH might be my third alternative. Not to mention your first post was 25 minutes ago, you could already be half way there.
    Seriously, what did you think you could possibly achieve by posting this? Did you think the colic fairy would appear and make everything better? Or did you want everyone else to feel helpless too?

Quote Originally Posted by firelizardfarm View Post
    Read my post, the horse is not here. It is 50 miles away!!!
    Is the owner of the property prepared to shoot it? Can your daughter ask her supervisor to come to the scene, and watch it suffer? It's easy to say, "we can't do anything," and then to have to watch the horse in agony.

I would contact all the barns in the area - surely someone can help - either by knowing where the horse came from - or could help in finding a vet - or help with pain relief.
    Find out who is in that area - even if means the phone book under stables or horses.

Good idea. I'll text her. Also she is the 911 response. She really upset about this, but remember, she can't shoot the horse, get fired, then have to shoot her horses cause she can't feed them.

Sometimes we end up casting for straws to get help. I would hope that if I was in a desperate situation that I wouldn't get the response the OP did. In the meantime, are there any COTH members in that area that might have some banamine or know someone who could help the horse?

Firelizard, couldn't you call the vet again and pay for the call yourself? Isn't it against the vets' code of ethics to allow an animal to suffer like that?

Pam

grayarabs, were are in the middle of nowhere, that means nearest public barn 90 miles. I am headed over there now to see what I can do. Probably it'll die, before me, my gun or my Banamine get there.

I'll post later to let you know what happens.

I've heard of situations like this before. Unfortunately, it can be a problem with the animal is lost and there is no owner available to authorize euthanasia.
    Sorry about the horse, and your daughter. It's a tough situation.

Another avenue could be the state patrol, or state police, especially if the horse is floundering around near the highway. At any rate, there would be another officer on the scene, with a gun, and a different chain of command. (If you speed there, OP, you may find one.)

Unfortunately, there are miles and miles of New Mexico with no people. Resources are spread thin, just like the people. And animals.