The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB losing hair on face??

Has anyone had this happen? If so, what can be used for it??

Sounds like rain rot to me. Does the horse wear a fly mask, a halter, or anything on the face for extended periods of time?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Both of my TBs and also my Arab do this in the summer. They do not wear masks or halters. I have no idea why they lose their facial hair like this...The TB who doesn't sweat so well loses the most and it is most noticeable around his eyes and muzzle. It comes back when the heat gets less extreme. There's no evidence of rain rot or anything wrong with the skin. I read somewhere that anhydrosis can cause hair loss on the face, but the other two sweat normally and lose some facial hair, too, though not as much. It doesn't seem to cause them trouble, so I figure it's just cooler not to have a hairy face in extreme heat and humidity!!!

I noticed my OTTB today is bald from his eye area down to his muzzle - only on right side. Believe it is from his rubbing his face on the inside of his leg because of the awful flies! Should grow back as soon as the flies head south.

This is a VERY common problem in the summer, mostly caused by sweat/dirt/bugs. Keep it VERY clean. When you bathe him, be sure you really rinse his face well, not just wipe over it with a damp sponge. The hair will grow back shortly.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thanks all. I think mostly it's a "thoroughbred thing." He sweats fine and does not have any signs of rain rot. Yes, it is during the hottest part of the summer. I was just wondering if I was missing any miracle cures. I'm sure he's just as ready for cooler weather as we all are! Thanks again!!!