The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Library Magazine Subscriptions

I have lived here in this town for nine years now, and was overjoyed to find out soon after moving here that our little library carries subscriptions to "Practical Horseman", "Equus" and "Horse & Rider".

Checking out each of these magazines once a month is something I look forward to. I go in and pick them up and then treat myself to lunch at a restaurant where I can sit and read to my heart's content. Okay, for "Horse & Rider" I mostly look at the pictures, but I enjoy that, too!

Today while I was waiting in line to check my three magazines out I noticed a sign explaining that their periodical budget was cut in half recently and asking for patrons to sponsor a subscription if possible, so the library can continue to offer the magazines. I checked the list and ALL three of my horse magazines were there!

My dressage lesson was canceled this morning due to horrible weather and I still had the cash in my pocket. So I went ahead and used it to pay for a years subscription on each of the magazines. I paid $39.95 directly to the library and that will cover another year for each of "my" magazines.

I would urge anyone whose local library carries a horse magazine to ask if they need a sponsor. If you can afford to offer the help, it really does help the local horse community. Look how long I have benefited from the library's subscription! And I am sure I wasn't the only one.
    Sheilah

Kudos to your generosity. In bad times library budgets are often hit hard, and the more lightly used titles, such as most horse books/magazines tend to be, are usually among the first to go.

I hope other readers think about your wonderful example within their own local communities.