The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default does a slow twist, french link, dee ring bit exist?

Just what the thread title says, does such a bit exist? I've seen lots of Dr. Bristol bits with a slow twist, but no french links.

I've done numerous Google searches and cannot find one. I found one labeled as such on Ebay the other day, but the bit looks like a Dr. Bristol to me...

A friend of mine insists such a bit exists, but I'm having trouble finding it. Any input?

Thanks!

Yes, they do exist. I have one but can't remember where I got it. Sorry I can't help more.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Quote Originally Posted by KristiKGC View Post
    Yes, they do exist. I have one but can't remember where I got it. Sorry I can't help more.
    Thanks! At least now I know my search isn't futile! I am coming across lots of bits listed as french link slow twists, but they are actuall mis-labeled Dr. Bristols. I found french link slow twist half cheeck driving bits, too... I will keep searching!

A client has such a bit . She got it from Jay Shuttleworth.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by half seat View Post
    Just what the thread title says, does such a bit exist? I've seen lots of Dr. Bristol bits with a slow twist, but no french links.
    With a D-ring, it doesn't matter whether it started life as a French link or a Dr Bristol, the horse is free to rotate it into the French link position.

A Dr Bristol ONLY works as a Dr Bristol (EDGE against toungue) if there is something (Baucher, full cheek with keepers) to prevent the horse from rotating into the French link (no edge against the tongue) position.

I suspect you are confusing the distinction between Dr Bristol and French link (which refers to the ORIENTATION of the center piece) with the distinction between a "flat center piece French link", a "figure 8 center piece French link, and a "bean center piece French link".

Suggest you look at the illustrations for "French link" in the Dressage and Eventing sections of the rule book.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Yep sure do, I have a couple but they are older, gosh knows where I got them!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    With a D-ring, it doesn't matter whether it started life as a French link or a Dr Bristol, the horse is free to rotate it into the French link position.

A Dr Bristol ONLY works as a Dr Bristol (EDGE against toungue) if there is something (Baucher, full cheek with keepers) to prevent the horse from rotating into the French link (no edge against the tongue) position.

I suspect you are confusing the distinction between Dr Bristol and French link (which refers to the ORIENTATION of the center piece) with the distinction between a "flat center piece French link", a "figure 8 center piece French link, and a "bean center piece French link".

Suggest you look at the illustrations for "French link" in the Dressage and Eventing sections of the rule book.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll take a look. That makes sense and I agree I am probably just confused.

I had my local tack store order mine! Went in and looked thru their retailer catalog and showed the owner the exact one I wanted and they ordered it with no problem. So yes they do exist!

Calabasas Saddlery should have in stock off of the shelf! 818 591 0292 is their number.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

The other thing about the "Dr. Bristol" dee is you can just turn the bit over and voila, it's a French Link as you've changed the orientation of the plate to flat from edge on.

Tryi it.

Default Custom bit

I second the Jay Shuttleworth suggestion. I have a mullen mouth fulmer snaffle he made for me and I use it every day. Costs about $200 to have him make you a custom bit. If you know it is what you want, it is worth every penny.

Another Jay Shuttleworth vote. He made two beautiful slow twist, dee ring bits for me that were/are works of art!
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.