The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anybody see Ace of Cakes? (yes, HR)

1) footage of Duff riding was pretty funny
    2) who was the cake for? Jessica Springsteen?

I'm dying to know who the cake was for, too. My money is on Georgina Bloomberg, whose daddy is a Hopkins alum.

grayarabpony is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I was rather disappointed when the identity of the birthday girl (?) was not revealed. I was wondering if anyone would recognize the horse! That was a beautiful shot the bakery had to work from.

EMR Guest

OK Duff riding was too funny! I have the episode recorded. And it was a very horsie night on the food network; Alton Brown was riding in his episode "the big chili" which started at 11pm (less than an hour after duff rides). Oh and the pic that they worked from was very pretty.

anyone have a picture of the cake?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I LOFF that show!
    I don't have cable/satellite myself but watch whenever I visit friends who do.

I just emailed Charm City Cakes to see if they would send a picture I could post here.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I loved the cake too and am dying to know who it was for. But a couple things bugged me about it. First, the jumps were different heights, which I thought looked weird, and second, the reins attached to the bridle up by the browband, and there was no bit on the bridle. I thought that looked so weird! If they were looking at a picture to make the horse/jumps, why didn't they pay attention to those details?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mex View Post
    I loved the cake too and am dying to know who it was for. But a couple things bugged me about it. First, the jumps were different heights, which I thought looked weird, and second, the reins attached to the bridle up by the browband, and there was no bit on the bridle. I thought that looked so weird! If they were looking at a picture to make the horse/jumps, why didn't they pay attention to those details?
    pickypickypicky
    they are pastrychefs not horsepeople - they got the Big Picture right but missed a few details only horsepeople might notice, no Biggie
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I know, but if it were MY cake I'd be annoyed. I'd probably scream and refuse to eat it, stomp my foot on the ground and send it back in my private jet kidding...

But when you see them make other cakes like those with a designer purse or something, they always pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Love that show...Duff is a kick in the pants, as are his employees. They talk and act like they're all on pot or something, but manage to make it happen, with perfection

Didn't see that show, but I'll look for a rerun. Thanks for the heads-up.

So did anyone else expect Duff to jump up (after falling off the horse) and say "That was AWESOME!!!"?
    I was a little worried when he didn't!

Original Poster

That's true, there was just a pause (a fall from a horse is further than falling off a snowboard, on hard ground to boot), then "That was fun" in a not very convincing tone.

Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I was wondering who it was for as well. I believe the email said for his wifes birthday. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post

That was hysterical!!! LOVED the one with the tongue sticking out!!! Hahaha!!!

I have a tiny bit of inside info about that episode!

Maryland Saddlery outfitted him for the day, the dismount was not planned and they had to get everything dry cleaned.

It was taped just up the road from the saddlery. Someone from the camera crew knew the manager of that farm, so she helped get it together.

Apparently camera crew were in tears holding their laughing in as to not get it on tape.

From Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes bakery)
    Finally, for the record, I DO know who got the horseback riding cake that was the "secret client" on last night's episode. But I'm not telling. The cake arrived at its undisclosed location just fine, and the client and his wife loved it. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
    Trying to find a photo of the cake....
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I loveddddddd it!

Soo funny. But the reins were funny. And I thought I was going to die when Duff fell.

I really want to know who it was. One day, maybe we'll find out. I want to know why the secrecy?! hahaha

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    the dismount was not planned
    You don't say...

From Mary Alice: "Finally, for the record, I DO know who got the horseback riding cake that was the "secret client" on last night's episode. But I'm not telling. The cake arrived at its undisclosed location just fine, and the client and his wife loved it. That's all I'm gonna say about that. "

Well, it figures that someone must know who the secret client was. The mystery continues...

The evilness of COTH! I just got home after a 7 hour trip from pony finals and hop on to read for a few minutes and now, thank goodness for having a season pass on TIVO so now I can see the cake everyone is talking about!
    ~ Unexpected ~