The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default Dumb as a rock but (leg yielding into correct lead)

    Imagine you have a horse resisting right lead canter.

    If you were going to leg yield into the canter to help set the horse up which way would you leg yield?

    I have been doing what I thought was correct with not great results then listened to "Cowboy Jim" at our stable and for kicks gave it a shot his way. Yeah and it worked every time but I am now a bit confused as it seams counter intuitive his way...



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Say you were coming down centre line, you would leg yield to the LEFT, meet the rail and ask for the canter right while the horse is still firmly on the outside rein and bent around your inside leg.



    Check out First level test 1 (I think?) for the correct way to approach it.

    NJR



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    It really depends on the horse. Whatever works for your horse is the right way. What you are trying to accomplish is to supple the horse, activate his lazy hind leg whatever it is, position his body so it is easy for him to take the lead, and sharpen his response to your aid.

    I have tried leg yielding from left leg along the wall, straighten the horse, then right lead canter. I have tried leg yield from right leg to the wall, then right lead canter. I have tried shoulder-in on right bend then right lead canter. I have tried haunches in for three steps, shoulder in for three steps, repeat, shoulder-in, then canter. All of them work and all of them help you to get what you want.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 7, 2007
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Depends where the resistance is -

    For right lead canter -

    Leg yield from the right leg would activate the inside hind, but if the problem is with the inside shoulder not being free/supple, this will not really help you.

    Leg yielding from the left leg would free up the inside shoulder (and activate the outside hind for the depart) Different solutions for different problems....



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2005
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    6,310

    Default

    Dittos, NJR!

    Is that how Cowboy Jim told you to do it?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    Say you were coming down centre line, you would leg yield to the LEFT, meet the rail and ask for the canter right while the horse is still firmly on the outside rein and bent around your inside leg.



    Check out First level test 1 (I think?) for the correct way to approach it.

    NJR
    That is what I was doing. Good hear I am not as dumb as a rock. Honestly this had worked for other horses I tried it on but not this gelding.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    It really depends on the horse. Whatever works for your horse is the right way. What you are trying to accomplish is to supple the horse, activate his lazy hind leg whatever it is, position his body so it is easy for him to take the lead, and sharpen his response to your aid.

    I have tried leg yielding from left leg along the wall, straighten the horse, then right lead canter. I have tried leg yield from right leg to the wall, then right lead canter. I have tried shoulder-in on right bend then right lead canter. I have tried haunches in for three steps, shoulder in for three steps, repeat, shoulder-in, then canter. All of them work and all of them help you to get what you want.
    Guess I should have asked you a few moths ago.

    I had done the leg yield left into right lead canter, shoulder in into right lead canter but neither worked for this fellow. I was allergic to haunches in due to my old mare using it as an evasion so I never tried it with current gelding but dang it I never would have thought to try leg yield right, into right lead canter.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Depends where the resistance is -

    For right lead canter -

    Leg yield from the right leg would activate the inside hind, but if the problem is with the inside shoulder not being free/supple, this will not really help you.

    Leg yielding from the left leg would free up the inside shoulder (and activate the outside hind for the depart) Different solutions for different problems....
    Okay smarty pants I tip my hat to you this was exactly what Cowboy Jim's comments were.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Dittos, NJR!

    Is that how Cowboy Jim told you to do it?
    Nope me, you and NJR are still cantering on the wrong lead with this gelding.

    Really though I don't think I will ever ignore unsolicited advise again.
    He is an old style western pleasure trainer. For the most part we do things exactly opposite but damn if he didn't just give me the key to my geldings right lead.

    Between the last two rides I asked his way maybe 25 times and got the right lead every single time.

    I will be leaving him a lesson fee and tip for that 20 minute impromptu miracle lesson.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2005
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Isn't that really similar to the old trick of turning the horse's head OUT as you ask for canter?

    L



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    Isn't that really similar to the old trick of turning the horse's head OUT as you ask for canter?

    L

    Funny I was so desperate I tried that a while ago with no luck at all.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    Isn't that really similar to the old trick of turning the horse's head OUT as you ask for canter?

    L

    Nay, if you turn the horse's head out to ask for canter, he is crooked and that kind of crookedness is rather hard to fix. All the leg yield, shoulder-in thinging either activate hind leg or free up the stuck shoulder so the horse can strike off canter balanced.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Dittos, NJR!

    Is that how Cowboy Jim told you to do it?
    Well, Ma'am...I can't say as I know any Cowboy Jim, but this is how those Swiss Cowboys Sven, Uli and Carlo taught me to do it.

    NJR



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    Well, Ma'am...I can't say as I know any Cowboy Jim, but this is how those Swiss Cowboys Sven, Uli and Carlo taught me to do it.

    NJR
    LOVE IT



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2005
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Nope me, you and NJR are still cantering on the wrong lead with this gelding.
    Now you're just cracking me up. Which might be because I'm . . . NOT on the wrong lead. I'm counter-cantering. Really. I meant to do that . . . Okay. I'm on the wrong lead with you (the only difference was I was leg-yielding out on a circle & that's really no difference at all!)

    Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    I will be leaving him a lesson fee and tip for that 20 minute impromptu miracle lesson.
    Very nice - that tangible kind of thank you doesn't happen nearly enough.

    I used to board at a horse show grounds where you would be amazed at what you'd see in the schooling ring. But some of it was really worth watching (as in, to learn something good) and some was worth watching (to remember to avoid the area when that show came back to town).

    And I saw some of the best horsemanship in some of the most surprising places. It's hard to listen some times, but so worthwhile when you do.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.



Similar Threads

  1. Spin Off - "correct" lead change - hunters v. dressage
    By FineAlready in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2014, 07:47 PM
  2. not picking up correct lead in back
    By Bastile in forum Eventing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep. 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
  3. Wrong lead in test: Do you correct it, or let it go?
    By myhorsefaith in forum Dressage
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jul. 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: Aug. 25, 2009, 08:30 AM
  5. Horse WILL NOT pick up correct lead tracking right.
    By CTRL ALT DELETE in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May. 8, 2009, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness