The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default leg dominance/strength?

I know everyone has a more dominant/stronger side of their body, but how can I strengthen my weaker side, specifically my leg? Now that I'm riding a greener horse, I see just how uneven my leg strength is. I have access to a gym, so if weights/weigh machines are the answer, I can do it. I also have access to a fabulous school mistress horse that I can ride in order to help as well.

Thanks all!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Get thee to yoga class. :-)

Yoga/Pilates. I admit I never even realised I was putting more weight on my left seatbone/stirrup until I started taking classes. Then one day while riding, I had a Eureka moment. Life's been better since then!

Default dropping stirrup

I have the same problem! I call it my "ghost leg". Its there... and it doesnt really move (its not loose) but it just isnt as effective as my right leg. On a suitable horse, I will drop my inside stirrup only and work on posting and 2 pt. trotting and cantering. Then, the other direction, I will drop the inside stirrup again and do the same. I even used to do trot sets with only one stirrup out on the trails (I'd alternate which foot had the stirrup). It worked, I was eventually able to jump 3'9" grid without stirrups for my A rating and I was so much more even than before.

Yep, yoga.

I have had various issues throughout the years and esp as I am getting older they were harder to work through. . . until yoga!

Just to be perverse you might consider if the problem could also be that your strong side it too strong. Strength in riding is often as much about being able to be still and NOT do something as it is to physically push the horse to do something! Example: Drifting (like in front of a fence) is commonly "fixed" with more leg on the side the horse is drifting toward, but often can be fixed by using LESS of the opposite leg. In other words unbeknownst to the rider the "strong leg" is engaging and pushing the horse over and the horse is doing exactly what it is told. "They go the way you ride them" and I HATE that!

Anyway I too am riding a greenie. Since I'd like him to grow up and be light to the leg I'm trying to be very careful about how much I use strength to make him do stuff...Less is More. ugh!

subk- you may have a very good point there... though I don't know if the problem is one leg too strong or the other too weak. All I know is they are not creted equal!

I lost my yoga buddy for the summer (no, I cannot go to a class by myself. that would just be HORRIBLE!) while she was visiting family... now that she's back in town maybe I can motivate myself to go again! And maybe some one stirrup work on my good old schoolie buddy.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound