The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Are you interested in renting or owning horse book CDs

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you would be interested in renting CDs of books

8 50.00%
  • Yes, you would be interested in buying CDs of books

3 18.75%
  • You would be interested in renting to own book CDs

1 6.25%
  • No, you would not be interested at all in books on CD

5 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Horse books on CD

Hello, all.
    Since I seem never to have time to read the horse books I've bought over the past few years, I've wished they were on disk. But they're not. So, maybe I should do that, not only for myself, but for others to enjoy listening to horse books of all kinds while they're driving.

I'd like to know if this idea appeals to you - would you rent or buy a CD (or set of CDs) to be able to listen to horse books? Please do not limit yourself to stories, either fiction or nonfiction. I, personally, want to be able to listen to the training books I have. I also realize that pictures/illustrations can't be recorded; but it is a factor to consider that the illustrations would, of necessity, have to be left out. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

If the answer is yes, please list your top ten faves that you would like recorded.

Also, if you have suggestions regarding other fora I could publish this same topic, please let me know.

I know there would be an issue regarding copyright, etc. I'm married to a lawyer well versed in intellectual property, so I don't need advice in that regard.
    Last edited by Twiliath; Aug. 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: left stuff out.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

If you do this, please consider making them available on audible.com . -Wendy

That is always a next step. First I have to record them!
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I might be interested. However, if it was an audio of a training book, I would only be interested in it if the pictures were included as an insert. If it was a fiction book, I would need to be able to hear a clip before I bought it since, in my experience with audio books, the quality of the reader can make or break it
    Last edited by RockinHorse; Aug. 6, 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

I walk and jog alot with my Ipod and sometimes listening to a book would be a nice change from music. I think that I would be able to concentrate on learning some details as I have nothing distracting me other than moving my feet.
    The American System of Foreward Riding would be agreat choice as would some of the physcology ones.

RockinHorse - Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines: that maybe the illustrations could be included as a separate insert or something.

I definitely agree about the quality of the reader. I've listened to books that the reader is kind of irritating, and others where the reader truly makes it a great experience.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I would definitely be interested in horse related stories on CD/MP3, I listen to books "on tape" (CD imported to itunes, then on ipod) while doing stalls- makes it go a lot faster!

I'm not so sure I'd be into books on training so much, most of the time when I'm listening to a book versus reading one it's when I'm not able to devote 100% of my attention to it. If I'm mucking, or cleaning my own room, doing laundry, mowing, etc, I'm not able to focus on the information to the degree I would want to really "get" anything from a training book. I'm a fairly visual person, so not being able to read the words in the book I wouldn't absorb as much info long term. Not being able to see the pictures as I'm listening to that exact chapter/description would also be a bit frustrating for me- and having pull out images would bring me right back to high school bio class, trying to make sure I'm looking at the right slide of wobbly squiggles that match the description I'm listening to being read in pig latin . I also like to be able to revisit certain passages and chapters in training books, and trying to find that in an audio format would be hell for me. Maybe less so for someone more tech savvy? (Although I think it's worth mentioning that I AM of the iPod generation, and my big brother is a programmer :P).

I would say I would certainly buy/download anything from Black Beauty to that novel about the adult woman who becomes a working student after a divorce... I think there was something about a cult (and no, not "colt") as well? To true stories involving horses, and probably even guilty pleasure types that are full of horsey mistakes, but oh so good anyhow! ]

I also second the comment about quality of recording and reading, I have a lot of freebie download audio books that I wont listen to (and need to delete) because the sound quality either sucks, or I just can't stand the actor/acting.

Good luck! This sounds like a really awesome project!

I'd like lots more people to respond to this. Thanks.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

will I be able to uploid it to my iphone or ipod?

Audible.com and iphones and ipods are definitely to be considered. I haven't gotten that far with it. I need to find out if it's viable at all. If I go to the trouble and expense to do it and then find out no one really wants the product, then I've wasted my time.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Thanks to all who responded and took the poll on this thread. I now have a pretty good idea of the popularity of the idea.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Absolutely! I already have some Jane Savoie training CDs that I listen to especially on the way to the barn! I just bought Herbermann's book on CD (Thank you Dressage Extensions for such a FAST delivery!)....

It is hard enough for me to have the time to watch training DVDs.... CDs would work for my lifestyle (Long commute to work each day)......I would love to have Jane's other books, "It's not just about the Ribbons" and "That Winning Feeling" both on CD.

Fiction would work for me too!!!

I love audiobooks - I pretty much read all day for work (with my eyes) so I have nothing left for pleasure reading. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on all kinds of subjects at bedtime, while doing chores, and in the car. Horse related ones would be great - there aren't many out there. It wouldn't work so well if it was a photo-based book, obviously, and I won't buy or listen to an audiobook with an irritating narrator, as others said. In fact I bought a really boring book on economics just*because* the narrator had a soothing voice. I use that one when I have insomnia. Seriously!!

I usually buy audiobooks from audible.com, but there are free ones (stuff that's out of print and out of copyright) on LibriVox (librivox.org) which is lots of fun, too. There's a horse training one there somewhere - crazy stuff from the 1800s. And A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains, about a woman who traveled the west on horseback in the 1800s.