The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Welts from cinch!

My gelding keeps getting welts-they are kind of squishy, maybe fluid filled bumps- under his cinch, after it is off. I never noticed them with his old saddle, which did not fit. He is now being ridden in a saddle which fits, and the bumps appear. We were using a felt Easy Cinch, but today I tried a neoprene and the same thing happened. Maybe an hour after the cinch was off he swelled up in spots. It was only a 2 hour ride. So do I try yet another cinch, leave the saddle on longer after a ride, or try a different saddle? Anyone had this happen or have any ideas?

These are not galls/sores, but bumps here and there where the cinch was, and they go away in about a day, sometimes less. Very frustrating.

Horses can be allergic to neoprene (I found out the hard way ). It causes basically just a lot and lot of swelling.

Just something to consider.. That might not be it if this has happened with a couple different girths.

I know this sounds kinda nuts.. but.. how tight do you do up his cinch?
    I've seen this once, on a friends horse, she used to reef his saddle on so tight, it ended up being the cause, regardless of cinch type.

Also you can try to check that skin isn't being pinched somewhere (armpits)

the other option is he is either allergic to some material in the cinch, or could also be reacting to his own sweat trapped under the cinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Agree with previous poster. Check how tight you draw the cinch. I usually tighten gradually- just enough to keep the saddle straight, walk out to where I mount, tighten again, etc until I feel it's secure- but I can slip a few fingers between the girth and skin. I also stretch the front legs to be sure nothing will pinch.

if old saddle + old girth = no bumps.... and new saddle + old girth = bumps... and new saddle + new girth also = bumps, I'd pay attention to how tightly you are girthing him.

Its possible you're girthing too tightly, but equally possible you're not girthing tightly enough. A new saddle that fits will likely shift around less so you'd be less inclined to check the tightness once mounted and warmed up, also, the new billet and latigo could be stretching some and the girth not nearly as tight as you though when you mounted up.

A too loose girth can often be just as bad as a too tight one from the constant shifting with each step. I learned that the hard way

ride the new saddle + old girth and check your tightness every 15 minutes. If you're appropriately tight, but still getting the welts, go back to the old saddle and girth and see if they go away. If they do go away, then you can pinpoint the new saddle as the cause... either shifting, or perhaps even the leather/tanning of the new saddle has a coating or chemical that your horse is reacting to?

Get him a string girth (cinch). I don't know why but a string girth completely ended sores on our grey TB.

see about getting a mohair cinch, they breathe better than synthetics.

I agree- I have seen this twice and the horse was cinched/girthed too tight in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    I know this sounds kinda nuts.. but.. how tight do you do up his cinch?
    I've seen this once, on a friends horse, she used to reef his saddle on so tight, it ended up being the cause, regardless of cinch type.

Also you can try to check that skin isn't being pinched somewhere (armpits)

the other option is he is either allergic to some material in the cinch, or could also be reacting to his own sweat trapped under the cinch.

I have actually seen these type of girth galls (cinch galls in your case) caused by a girth being too loose or too tight. I accidentally gave a huge one to my warmblood during a trail ride because I had borrowed a friend's saddle and girth. The girth was too big and I could not get it tight enough. Huge gall the next day, I felt horrible. Went away quickly after icing and Corona ointment.

I've also seen them caused by cinches being way too tight. Just put the cinch tight enough to keep the saddle from rocking side to side. You don't need to pull it as tight as you can. Best of luck.

We no longer have the old saddle, so can't see if he gets welts with that one. I thought maybe I was too tight the first time, but I really don't think I was with the Neoprene cinch. I never tightened it once we started either, bc I was worried I might overtighten. I will pay attention though in the future.

Also, I am considering the mohair cinch, bc if it is a reaction to his sweat the breathability might help. Only reason I haven't yet is bc I may get a different saddle for him. The current one was bought for hubby, but I have taken over the horse and would like a different saddle.

Augh!