The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are your pet peeves?

It can be about riders, horses, whatever.

Mine would have to be when people think they are better riders than they are because then they don't listen to anything and end up getting hurt.

Another one is horses that are heavy in the bridle. I like a horse that is light and responsive.

What about you?

Horses that use me as a personal scratching post. My mare constantly tries to rub her head on me whenever I take her bridle off. I never let her get away with it. I'm the only one that rides her too. So, why after owning her nearly 8 years, does she still try???

When I am running late to get tacked up for a lesson and my horse chooses that day to be completely encrusted in mud from head to tail. It never fails, I tell ya!

People who think that the fact that I wear a back brace means that I have an unfair advantage in the equitation. I suppose it arches my lower back a bit more......because it helps to keep my spine aligned...it's not just for fun and ribbons.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Kimberwickes.

People who complain about how others do things just because they are not how they would do things.

People who don't do their courtesy circles, or who don't finish them. I understand if it's an equitation class or a handy hunter round and you might have to go directly to the first jump, but if it's just a simple hunter round, take the extra 10 seconds to show off your horse's best gait. If he has a great canter and a mehh trot, walk in, canter a circle, and go to your jump, and vice versa for a horse with a nice trot or whatever. But the wort part is when people don't FINISH their circles! They go straight from a canter to a walk when they're halfway across the ring from the in-gate! It takes up a lot of time, and it's annoying.

Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

People who ride with their hair loose under their helmets. I don't care if you don't put it UP but at least pony tail it or braid it. Ugh. So sloppy - drives me nutso!

People who don't look where they're going. At home, at shows, everywhere. I notice it a lot more now that I have a baby with minimal steering and brakes. I try to stay out of the way, but look up from your horse's mane to see where it's headed.

Dirty tack

Unswept aisle

People who mock or otherwise disparage beginners
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    Horses that use me as a personal scratching post. My mare constantly tries to rub her head on me whenever I take her bridle off. I never let her get away with it. I'm the only one that rides her too. So, why after owning her nearly 8 years, does she still try???
    Because she has an itchy face from sweating under the bridle !!!

I always have a towel handy when untacking and let my mare rub her face on the towel. A minute or two later she'll give a big sigh and relax and stand patiently.

Imagine if your face was itchy from your helmet and you couldn't rub it.

Riders that are lazy and riders that have excuses for everything

OMG!!! I HATE that!!! My horse tries to do that that, but I never let him. He is aloud to scratch his face only when I am rubbing his face with a towel.

- People who groom their horse, then leave all their sh*t in the aisle when they go ride.
    - Boarders who think they are perfect and nit-pick everything that happens. Like when their horse got hay 30 minutes late because we were having a torrential downpour with terrible lightening.
    - Boarders who put in extra shavings and don't pay for them. Then we all end up paying more to offset their theft.
    - Kids who leave their stuff all over the tack room floor so everyone has to step over it.
    - People who “borrow” things and don’t put them back. I hate playing the “Where’s my ___” game while tacking up.
    - The queen who almost always comes late to her flat/dressage lesson, and ends up riding during our jumping lessons, and is ALWAYS right where we want to go.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Creek View Post
    Because she has an itchy face from sweating under the bridle !!!

I always have a towel handy when untacking and let my mare rub her face on the towel. A minute or two later she'll give a big sigh and relax and stand patiently.

Imagine if your face was itchy from your helmet and you couldn't rub it.
    I always brush her face with a soft curry right after I take the bridle off. The problem is my mare doesn't like to wait the 5 seconds it takes for me to take off her bridle and grab the brush. She usually attempts to rub on me while I'm taking the bridle off. She's very impatient that way...

Default Rude Tack Shop Employees and Owners

My local tack shop in Santa Rosa, California changed ownership about a year ago. Their return policy is now that items must be returned within 14 days to exchange for something else. No opportunity after it's purchased to ever get a refund -- though I always need something so exchange is fine....but 14 days ?!?!

Well, I work full-time and live more than an hour's drive each way from my "local" tack shop. It's not an area that I get to often, so by the time I got the unused tack that didn't fit my mare back to the tack shop I was beyond the 14 days. I was rudely told by the clerk there that there was nothing they could do for me. When I expressed shock that their return period was so short and they wouldn't even let me exchange for the correct size, the clerk barked "Read your receipt !" When I said that wasn't acceptable customer service, I was told I would have to call back and speak with the owner.

So I spoke with said owner who told me he had "20-something years in retail" and that I should read my receipt. Nothing he could do for me to exchange for the correct size, but he would give me a credit after deducting a "40% restocking fee." Fine, forget it, good luck with that attitude Mister Saddlery. I grew up in PA and Palm Beach and we LOVED our tack shop people. They were always sooooo helpful and seemed to genuinely appreciate our business, all our business (even when as a child I would stand in there for hours and hours just STARING at the beautiful tack)...and for that we never abused them, and I certainly spent every penny of my allowance and birthday money there

Where does this horrible customer "service" behavior come from ? Wouldn't you think in these difficult times there would be an even elevated sense of customer service ?

I will not again patronize a local tack shop. Thank goodness for online shops. I swear the good folks at SmartPak have the customer service thing just nailed. They, State Line and Dover get ALL my business from this point forward...and did just get a couple of big orders from me.

Such a shame, I really hoped to help support the local guys more during the downturn.

Anyone need a pair of Size 2 Mac Boots ? PM me and I will donate to anyone's good individual or non-profit cause. I bought them for my mare who is having a problem keeping her shoes on. Please note that a Size 2 in Macs is COMPLETELY different than a Size 2 in EZ-boots. Sadly, I didn't get that advice and, well, you know the rest of the story.

If anyone is looking for a good business idea -- open a tack shop in Santa Rosa, California and focus on customer service...I'm betting you'll have the entire area's business.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Creek View Post
    I will not again patronize a local tack shop. Thank goodness for online shops. I swear the good folks at SmartPak have the customer service thing just nailed. They, State Line and Dover get ALL my business from this point forward...and did just get a couple of big orders from me.
    I love all those online stores you mentioned. Very helpful customer service. I also recommend VTO Saddlery. Especially for trying saddles. If they don't have the size or tree width you need to try, they will order it and let you try it for no extra charge! Love it!! Especially with my horse's annoying narrow self.

Default Ahhhhh...

I always brush her face with a soft curry right after I take the bridle off. The problem is my mare doesn't like to wait the 5 seconds it takes for me to take off her bridle and grab the brush. She usually attempts to rub on me while I'm taking the bridle off. She's very impatient that way...
    Mares

I always grap the towel before I start undoing the bridle.

My horse gets his faced scratched with a towel. When I had a little horse or pony I did let them get away with it. My boy that I have now is a bit bigger and can knock me over. Also the Irish horses at the farm try to do it they knock you down.

My boy does LOVE getting his face washed now. I wash it and treat it for a fungus during the summer. He thinks his face washing is massage time now. He will close his eyes and lean into my hands. Yeah..he is that spoiled.

People who own a horse yet find every excuse under the sun not to ride. It's too hot/too cold/to wet/too dry/don't like the arena/etc. I mean if you buy them to just be a pet, then admit to that. But don't put on the "I'm serious about my riding" face and then groom your horse for an hour or two and then go home.