The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fleeceworks

35 28.69%
  • Mattes

38 31.15%
  • Beval or Beval knockoff

5 4.10%
  • Inexpensive foam/faux fleece such as Wilkers

3 2.46%
  • Shock absorber such as Thinline

21 17.21%
  • Another brand that isn't mentioned (please list)

17 13.93%
  • I don't like or use half pads

3 2.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Half pad favorites?

What is your favorite half pad for a little bit of cushion, but not necessarily to improve saddle fit. I am an AA who rides on and off, usually on school horses. I just want a nicer half pad for schooling.

I've used all the above on various sales horses, etc., and decided upon the Mattes when it came time to buy one for my own horse. It provides plenty of cushion and protection while allowing his back to breath.

I am a Mattes Girl through and through. I have used GrandPrix, Fleeceworks, Dovers, and kock offs and something about Mattes they do not break down, thee best by far! IMO

Supracore

Thinline saddlefitter w/ sheepskin

I like my Dover pad
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I really like the Fleeceworks half pad I use for shows, but I've also used the thicker wool/fleece pads like Wilkers and found them just as useful, depending on what you need out of a pad.
    If you are not the lead elephant, the scenery never changes.

I love Thinline and the Roma sheepskin half pads.

I have a Beval pad and a Thinline pad. I prefer the Beval for everyday use for lots of horses, but like the Thinline as extra padding for the show ring.

My next investment will be a Lami-Cell pad. Those are awesome and my newest favorite!

thinline ultra trifecta pad

I like both my Fleeceworks and Cloud Nine half pads.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I would just like to point out that half pads *should* only be used to correct/improve saddle fit. Every time I am talking with a saddle fitter, or watching saddle fitters, they have always mentioned this and noted that it's very important, how most of us think we're doing our horse a favor by adding some cushioning when often times it's not needed (if the saddle fits perfectly, that is. if your fitter says you need X pad to do Y then by all means you should be doing so),

That being said, I am cheap and use a foam riser pad to get the job done for my pony. For shows, we use a Fleeceworks shaped pad with inserts to lift my saddle in the rear a little bit, mimicking the half pad.

Anyway, I have needed pads in the past for other (skinnier/narrower) ponies and horses that my saddle was just flat out too wide for. Needed to fill the space a little. I really like Fleecework, Mattes, and Beval pads. I'm moving up to a horse soon, then I'm going to college. If a foam pad won't work for the horse I move up to, then I'll have to invest in something that *does* work, of course, but until I actually have a very long term horse (like owning, and that's going to be a long time from now) I don't plan on investing the money unless it's needed. I've usually got access to these nicer pads, though, as my barn has a few that we're welcome to use.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Hmm, I like Mattes the best I think. They're great quality and nice fit!
    I have a Fleeceworks and it's pretty nice to school in..except last season my old one blew up in the washer! So not great quality..Also, Roma's are nice, too! They're really thin though, but super soft.

I have always really loved the Mattes pads. They are definitely my favorite. And the color choices are hard to beat.

Mattes pads are really nice when you first get them. But the skeepskin doesn't hold up, or stay soft and whatever. It's silly and cosmetic, but if I'm paying $200 for a half pad than it better stay soft! If you look at my fleeceworks pad, bought two years ago and washed with MELP, and then look at my friend's mattes pad, bought two years and washed with something - you do see a differences. My skeepskin isn't clumpy.

I love my Mattes...it has just the right amount of cushion without being too thick (they are very fluffy at first but the sheepskin flattens out). Mine's regular, but I also like that you can use shims and basically create any figuration you need. I also like that it stays up off the spine.

I'm not a fan of Bevals...I think they're too thick and stiff. Just not my cup of tea.

I'd give the Thinline a try in a hearbeat.

I've had Bevel, fleeceworks, ovation gel pad, and now a grand prix. my favorite by far is the grand prix. I have the one that is fleece with the gel on the seat area. http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1249598165 My saddle fitter told me that is pretty much the best thing that I can put on my horse's back.

I have a Mattes pad and a Beval's Theraputic pad. I like the Beval pad more, as it fits my horse better. They last forever as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    I've had Bevel, fleeceworks, ovation gel pad, and now a grand prix. my favorite by far is the grand prix. I have the one that is fleece with the gel on the seat area. http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1249598165 My saddle fitter told me that is pretty much the best thing that I can put on my horse's back.
    $224 for that?!

I really don't understand spending THAT much money on a pad (unless it is for a very specific medical issue). Maybe I'm just cheap...though I prefer the term thrifty.

The Ovation version is only $150 from Horseloverz and Equestrian Collections. I found it on Equishopper.com
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    I would just like to point out that half pads *should* only be used to correct/improve saddle fit. Every time I am talking with a saddle fitter, or watching saddle fitters, they have always mentioned this and noted that it's very important, how most of us think we're doing our horse a favor by adding some cushioning when often times it's not needed (if the saddle fits perfectly, that is. if your fitter says you need X pad to do Y then by all means you should be doing so),

I'd just like to point out the fleece, or sheepkin shaped pads are interchangeable with normal, non-shimmed, plain fleece half pads. Half pads are used when you want the fluffyness/padding of a full sheepskin or fleece pad but do not want the bulk under your leg of a full shaped pad.

Contrary to modern belief, no pad is needed at ALL for a correctly fitting saddle. The main purpose of a saddle pad is supposed to be to absorb sweat so it doesn't stain your expensive saddle. If your saddle causes sores when ridden in without any pad then the saddle does not fit your horse. Most people (myself included) cannot afford to buy a saddle custom made for their horse's back and so we use saddle pads to adjust the fit and make it comfortable for our horse.

I use a Fleeceworks or Equine Comfort Products half pad on my gelding but not on my mare. I am using a fleece pad with a keyhole pad on her until I can get a different saddle for her.