The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default input needed from COTH community regarding EAT programs

We are about to roll out our program on a grander scale and as we are putting together our list of "qualifications" for equine, volunteer and instructor inclusion into our program we felt it would be good to get a feel from the horse community on some things. This is, to me, one of the best places for a wide range of experiences and input so I am hoping you will all weigh in heavily.

This is what we already have in use:

In determining inclusion of a facility we have made a provision for our veterinarian and farrier to inspect each facility to ensure that the horses needs are met and meet our standard of care.

Horses offered for inclusion in the program are subject to a veterinary inspection and 60 day trial that will include training and evaluation for inclusion. The program covers these costs. If the horse is not suitable for inclusion it will be returned to the owner/donor.

Horses coming from established 501c3 equine organizations such as rescues will be given first priority for inclusion. It is our goal to work in a partnership with these groups to help horses in need. Should the horse not be suitable after the 60 day evaluation period, it is our hope that the training and evaluation it receives will benefit the horse in finding a permanent home.

Horses that are accepted for inclusion will be provided a home for the rest of their lives. A retirement situation has been arranged to meet this need.

We require instructors to be NARHA certified (or be an instructor in training) or to complete formal training such as CHA, Pony Club, 4H or have letters of recommendation from trainers etc. They will also be evaluated in a series of sessions with children and horses.

We require volunteers to attend a two day training that covers equine best practices, an intro into working with the special needs community, HIPPA and emergency procedures. All volunteers will be required to wear provided program shirts and/or jackets, clean jeans or breeches and appropriate footwear.

Participants will be required to wear safe riding appropriate clothing, footwear and will be assigned a helmet or have the option to purchase one for their own use.

We require facilities to be clean and free of obstructions that may prove to be safety issues for the special needs community. Proof of insurance etc. is required.

Those are the basics of course, and there are some other details as well but I don't have room here to list them without boring you all to death But they are some basics that we have found lacking over the years. We feel we have one chance to make this the very best it can be and if we start out right we will have no regrets as we move forward over the years to come. Our instructors will be paid and we will offer our volunteers incentives toward their education, discounted riding lessons and so on. We feel that it is important to take care of our staff!

So please, if you could, weigh in some of your thoughts. We have been doing this for many years but this is our first time on our own as a new program. We know what we want to achieve and what we need to avoid, but there is ALWAYS something that someone outside the program can shed light on or offer as insight.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    We are about to roll out our program on a grander scale and as we are putting together our list of "qualifications" for equine, volunteer and instructor inclusion into our program we felt it would be good to get a feel from the horse community on some things. This is, to me, one of the best places for a wide range of experiences and input so I am hoping you will all weigh in heavily.

This is what we already have in use:

In determining inclusion of a facility we have made a provision for our veterinarian and farrier to inspect each facility to ensure that the horses needs are met and meet our standard of care.

Horses offered for inclusion in the program are subject to a veterinary inspection and 60 day trial that will include training and evaluation for inclusion. The program covers these costs. If the horse is not suitable for inclusion it will be returned to the owner/donor.

Horses coming from established 501c3 equine organizations such as rescues will be given first priority for inclusion. It is our goal to work in a partnership with these groups to help horses in need. Should the horse not be suitable after the 60 day evaluation period, it is our hope that the training and evaluation it receives will benefit the horse in finding a permanent home.

Horses that are accepted for inclusion will be provided a home for the rest of their lives. A retirement situation has been arranged to meet this need.

We require instructors to be NARHA certified (or be an instructor in training) or to complete formal training such as CHA, Pony Club, 4H or have letters of recommendation from trainers etc. They will also be evaluated in a series of sessions with children and horses.

We require volunteers to attend a two day training that covers equine best practices, an intro into working with the special needs community, HIPPA and emergency procedures. All volunteers will be required to wear provided program shirts and/or jackets, clean jeans or breeches and appropriate footwear.

Participants will be required to wear safe riding appropriate clothing, footwear and will be assigned a helmet or have the option to purchase one for their own use.

We require facilities to be clean and free of obstructions that may prove to be safety issues for the special needs community. Proof of insurance etc. is required.

Those are the basics of course, and there are some other details as well but I don't have room here to list them without boring you all to death But they are some basics that we have found lacking over the years. We feel we have one chance to make this the very best it can be and if we start out right we will have no regrets as we move forward over the years to come. Our instructors will be paid and we will offer our volunteers incentives toward their education, discounted riding lessons and so on. We feel that it is important to take care of our staff!

So please, if you could, weigh in some of your thoughts. We have been doing this for many years but this is our first time on our own as a new program. We know what we want to achieve and what we need to avoid, but there is ALWAYS something that someone outside the program can shed light on or offer as insight.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    It looks to me like you have all the basis covered and who could ask for more for there horses. It is also a fantastic opportunity for some of the horses coming out of rescue, a chance at a second career. Now, if you can fundraise enough to do all of this, more power to you. I think you are in a good enough area and have established yourselves well enough that this is feasible. And, if those who can pay do, or medical pays for those who can, so much the better.

I am praying for you guys and wishing you all the luck and funding needed comes your way.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement