The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question To sell or not to sell... my used saddle. Input please!

I have a 6 year old lightly used saddle that is in good condition that I'm not currently using. However, I'm not sure if I want to/should sell it or not. I also have an alternative to selling it. Care to lend me some guidance?

I don't have a horse right now, so the saddle isn't being used. I currently ride school horses who have their own saddles. It's a Bates CC with the gullet system, so the nice thing about this saddle is that it should be able to fit any horse I may ride, if the need arose to use it.

...But I really don't like this saddle. It's comfortable, but it looks terrible on every horse I ride. I hate the way it sits and I hate the high cantle.

Since I'm not using it I'm letting my cousin who can't afford a saddle borrow it in the meantime. Normally I'd let her buy it for me for cheap, but the saddle doesn't fit her well as her legs are way longer than mine.

Eventually I'd like to get a new saddle, perhaps a dressage saddle if I ever consistently ride a nice dressage horse, or perhaps a new CC if I'm still jumping, but in the meantime I have a saddle that I don't use that's just getting older and cheaper, while I don't even want to use it.

Should I hold onto it as a back up? Sell it? Or let my cousin buy it for cheap?

I'm not sure if I sold it to someone else right now that she could afford to buy a new one... (Or find a used cheap one that still fits her.)

I you LIKED the saddle but simply weren't using it right now I would say to keep it. (I still regret selling my OLD Pessoa...) Especially right now you won't get a ton of money for your saddle and if you liked it, you wouldn't be able to replace it for something of similar "value" with what you did get for it.

However, since you don't love the saddle to begin with, I'd let it go. In this case you don't really want to ride in it anyway and you don't currently NEED your own saddle.

So in this case I vote sell. If you liked it more, I would vote keep.

Hope this helped
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I traded mine out on usedsaddles.com. If you liked the saddle, I'd keep it but why hang on to something that you don't really like to begin with? It's just going to lose value over time and require maintenence.

It's nice of you to loan it out but again, it's currently a newer saddle that you might get some money for. I'd hate to see you loan it to your cousin and just lose value.

If you want to help your cousin out and sell it to her cheap, she could turn around and trade it in for something that suits her better....

Default sell it

I had an old saddle that I kept for many years past when I last really used it. It took me around Prelim event courses and went to my A Pony Club rating. It was never quite right for me - a little big and very hard on my seat bones. It had to be cleaned and took up room on a rack (I have too may to bring them all inside when not in use - hubby is going to start counting one of these days). It got moldy in the tackroom if it didn't get touched. Sometimes I cleaned it, sometimes I paid a kid to clean it. In the end I sold it for 85. I wish I had sold it when it was worth 450. I used it for breaking horses especially lunging them but I do have other saddles. The saddle I replaced it with is so much nicer. A custom saddle that is more H/J than event. It is now sitting in my house waiting for a narrower horse to wear it! I should sell it but there's a lot I like about it.

The Bates saddles are still somewhat of a hot item. "Hot" only lasts until the next cool thing comes along. I'd advertise it here or on ebay and sell it to someone who wants it!

I would sell it or trade it in, since you dislike it. And while its generous of you to lend it while you're not riding in it, that is just causing more wear and tear on the saddle and possibly lessening its value. Definitely sell it.

I still have my first saddle--an old Crosby Soft Ride--and I don't anticipate selling it anytime soon. However, I love that thing and it fits me like a glove (the horse, not so much). I don't think I'll ever sell it. Maybe give it away to a deserving barn kid or something like that. I would sell it to your cousin, since she's using it anyway.