The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Laminitis with rotation

Today my 17 year old mare (likely insulin resistant...awaiting blood work) was diagnosed with laminitis in both front feet with 6 degrees of rotation. She is now on soft bedding, getting only grass hay that has been soaked and will be getting Soft Ride boots (she is currently barefoot). Do any of you have experiences with rotation and what has worked for you in regards to treatment and rehab. My main hope is that she can regain comfort, I do not mind if she is not rideable. Thanks for any input, both positive and negative.

I do! My older (in his 20's) IR horse has foundered and had about 5 degrees of rotation.

I kept him bare and trimmed him myself and he recovered just fine. He was actually able to go back to being ridden at the time it happened.

I have to keep an eye on his diet of course. I keep his feet in the best form possible.

Do you have rads? Is there any coffin bone deterioration? Are you in a position to strictly manage his care?

Success really depends on so many factors. I had a good outcome. I have a friend with 2 metabolic horses that had good outcomes.

My initial reaction was "6 degrees is not that bad" and I still don't PANIC at it...but that does not mean it is not a little bit of a road to travel.

Diet, environment and hoof care are very important, as I am sure you realize.
    Last edited by LMH; Aug. 4, 2009 at 09:48 PM.

Yes - there's no reason why she should not regain comfort with the right diet support and trim. How high are her heels? Do you have photos to share?

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Do you have photos to share?
    Only share photo's if you are of a very strong constitution!

As freaked out and scarred as I am about this, I will gladly take any and all input and will post photos asap.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    As freaked out and scarred as I am about this, I will gladly take any and all input and will post photos asap.
    JLR1, my heart goes out to you and your mare. Keep your faith, this could be a journey for both of you. Trust yourself, your resources around you and your mare. She wants to get better too.

I am a big believer in Flower Bach Resue remedy for yourself. It helps clear your mind to be able to absorb all the information and/or emotional feelings that you may be dealing with. Add it to your water or direct.

It sounds like you are on the right course to find the right treatment for your mare i.e., (likely insulin resistant...awaiting blood work. Thyroid also may be something to check....

Blessings !

Default Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    JLR1, my heart goes out to you and your mare. Keep your faith, this could be a journey for both of you. Trust yourself, your resources around you and your mare. She wants to get better too.

I am a big believer in Flower Bach Resue remedy for yourself. It helps clear your mind to be able to absorb all the information and/or emotional feelings that you may be dealing with. Add it to your water or direct.

It sounds like you are on the right course to find the right treatment for your mare i.e., (likely insulin resistant...awaiting blood work. Thyroid also may be something to check....

Blessings !

Soft Ride Boots are GREAT!

Hopefully your vet recommended them, and you're vet's a good one. IMHO that's the best way to rehab one of these- with the help of a great vet.

Here is an article you might find helpful :

http://www.hoofrehab.com/jessica.htm

Too, the laminitis article on the same website is very valuable as well. Good luck !