The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fast....Fast....FASTER!!!!

So the new jumper I'm retraining is one of thoses over excited types. I don't want to even look at a jump before he is listening TO ME about our speed Anyway I have worked with this type of horse before and have some ideas up my sleeve but I am always on the lookout for more training ideas. So what exercise, equipment......worked for your fast excited mount. Open to flat work ideas, pole exercises, grids or what ever worked for your horse. Eventually we will be jumping. He is just going in a plain D-ring snaffle now, would also love to hear at what point did you deside to upgrade your bit(if u did) From what type to what type? He has no saddle fit problems or pain of anykind just excited to be ridden again!

Thanks

Just a thought but what about putting up a grid with placement poles between the elements. This seems to be working well with one of our 4-year old jumper mares that gets a bit over eager to the fences. It makes them look at the pole and not focus so much on the fence ahead while establishing a rhythm through the grid.

Here is her page with videos at the bottom of her going through the grid with placement poles: http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=41

Good luck!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

What I used to do with my jumper mare who raced to the fences was pull her up before the fence. She did not jump the fence unless I told her to. It DID NOT cause her to stop at the fence - EVER....she just listened more.

No flatwork advice other than try to keep it interesting (not one hour a day on the rail!).

FYI - This only works if you can jump on your own, outside of lessons.

In my experience, many horses - not all, but a significant portion - that get way too into the jumping portion of the ride either because their flatwork is so routine that they are glad to be doing something else OR because it's at the end of the ride so they think they're almost done: "HOORAY, let's get this done as fast as possible so I can go eat/graze/have a bath/whatever." Or both.

Either way, you can combat that attitude or at least eliminate the above as a possibilities by interspersing your jumping into your flatwork. This works particularly well with young horses or horses in training, rather than horses that need to put all the elements together and get things polished. Obviously, those horses may need to school courses from time to time, or at least school the types of lines they'll encounter in a show.

So to get started, just do something like flatwork for ten minutes, then pull off the rail and hop over a gymnastic. Back to the rail, do some circles, ride the walk if need be, whatever you can do to get his mind under control if he's still in a hurry. Once he's quiet, pick a place to come off the rail, then jump another little gymnastic / line / whatever. And so on.

It teaches self-discipline to the horse ("you must come back to me after each fence, I know where we're going, this is not a huge deal, relaaaaax...") and gets him in a frame of mind to be listening to you after each fence, since he is not necessarily expecting another. Whereas if you just start the "jumping portion" of each ride and he knows "now we will jump for fifteen minutes," he could be doing the opposite - looking for the next fence instead of listening to you. Mixing it up teaches him that, regardless of how he may feel on the subject, you are in fact the only person who knows exactly where the two of you are going next. A good exercise in attitude and self-control too!
    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas