The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff of dog thread - how do you keep your house CLEAN?

Does anyone else (living on a farm) feel like all they do is clean their house?

The problem is the 3 inside/outside dogs. Well one is really just an inside dog and the other two are in and out. None are out totally.

The other day the two in/out dogs went on a jaunt (not allowed) and a few days later they were covered in seed ticks. Before we realized it they were already in the house.

And then there is the hair. My Dalmatian sheds twice a year for 6 months each time. The Coonhound is about the same, and the total mutt dog malts.

Our vacuum gets a constant workout.

How do you keep your house clean with dogs that live in? Do you sequester them?

Tile is your friend. Or laminate. Anything but carpet.
    I have all my dogs on Revolution, so no ticks or fleas thank God.
    But I do have lots of hair.
    i just make sure to sweep up every couple of days, and really get after the hair once a week or so with the vacuum that I can't get with the broom (under stuff and so on).
    I could spend 90% of my time in the house cleaning, sweeping and dusting, but I am not about to do that. So my house looks very lived in. I would rather be riding, hubby is deployed and I have a full time job so I keep the house livable and once a month or so do a really thorough cleaning. We have 5 acres, and it's mowing time so I do what I can and what I can't has to wait.
    But it does not smell (I cant stand a dog funky smelling house)
    Really, the key is don't try to make it house beautiful. There is only so much one person can reasonably do. If it is a rainy afternoon, I get house stuff done, or when it's too hot to be outside. It all gets done eventually.

People with spotless houses have no life, and life is too short to spend it all cleaning the house.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Roomba! It vacuums while I do, well, whatever!

Our 3 love to sneak down to the lake and come back smelling like pond slime - straight into the wash rack!

Their next favorite thing is to roll in something totally stinky - either dead critters in the woods or deer poo - straight into the wash rack!

I've taken up all the rigs, bare floors are easier and don't hold the doggy smell.

Yeah, when I complain about the house looking messy, my husband keeps reminding me we live on a farm

Oh and I too cannot stand dog smell in the house. I've got scented candles everywhere and I steam clean the carpet often enough so it smells fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Does anyone else (living on a farm) feel like all they do is clean their house?

The problem is the 3 inside/outside dogs. Well one is really just an inside dog and the other two are in and out. None are out totally.

The other day the two in/out dogs went on a jaunt (not allowed) and a few days later they were covered in seed ticks. Before we realized it they were already in the house.

And then there is the hair. My Dalmatian sheds twice a year for 6 months each time. The Coonhound is about the same, and the total mutt dog malts.

Our vacuum gets a constant workout.

How do you keep your house clean with dogs that live in? Do you sequester them?
    I live with 7 double-coated dogs. Bathing is my friend, a High Velocity Dryer was one of the best investments I ever made. A quick bath then the Dryer and wha-la, less hair.

I also took up all carpet.

I use my broom every.single.day.

I vacuum every other day.

It is a constant struggle and if I had my way, I'd have one, possibly two dogs. But daughter wants to breed another litter. It will simply have to wait till she can buy the broodie and raise it, then move out. I will keep the stud dog(s) and she can borrow him.

I love my dogs, I'm a good trainer and they are nice dogs but 7 is more than I ever wanted. By the time I get down to a reasonable number of dogs, I will have to be looking for a service dog!

Can anyone recommend an especially good broom/dry mop for getting up short hair in corners (and long)? I use the vacuum a lot, but we have hardwood floors in places and don't want to scratch it up.

Laminate and tile. Leather furniture that the dogs are not allowed on. I have a few cheap throw rugs that get thrown out when they no longer come clean.

I sweep up what I can and then the rest I go over with the vacuum cleaner with the attachment
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Dyson Animal Ball vacuum has been a big help. I abhor hardwoods, tile and linoleum - anything that I have to mop. Give me my vacuum and just let me go. The Dyson is not cheap but it is so easy to use and to clean.

Now, granted my carpets are 20+ yrs old except for the family room which was new a yr ago. I even have my kitchen carpeted. It was fashionable back in the 70-80's I think and I really liked the idea so I did it when I moved to the farm. Next yr I really do have to replace the LR, DR, hallway and stairs though and I'm not sure what kind of carpet I'll use.

A berber carpet is a really hard wearing carpet but the plush ones are more comfortable for the bedrooms.

I'm also fortunate that I only have one indoor/outdoor dog. No cats at present as the dog would kill them. I do bring some shavings and hay and horse hair myself though so I can't just blame the dog.

I try to vacuum a couple of times a week and I do generally shut off the additional 2 bedrooms.

But hey, hay is hay and hair is hair and there's really no stopping it.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

CLEAN?!?!?! What is that exactly?

My DH gave up, and hired a cleaning crew to come in every two weeks to give the place a good cleaning. The rest of the time, we either ignore it, or sweep/vacuum whatever we see.

This time of year with 5 dogs shedding, I am constantly bending over to pick up "tumbleweeds" of hair.

I will tell you that the person that invents a truely odor resistant, pee resistant carpet is going to be my new hero!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

My 5 dogs all live outside, so my house doesn't get all messy with their hairs or dander. I have a Dyson Animal which does its job well for daily dust etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post

How do you keep your house clean with dogs that live in?
    Simple - I don't.........

Well okay, I try, but my border collies are the type with that thick undercoat and I swear they shed all year round. I agree on the hardwood/tile. Carpet is just a beotch with dogs. Of course I can blame them for all the hair, but I probably track just as much mud in from the barn as they do The dusting, that's what really gets out of hand around here. I don't know who to blame it on......

At least without carpet you can give it a super duper quick run over with the broom if you are like me and suddenly someone calls and says they'll be there in ten minutes to visit and you haven't quite gotten around to cleaning anything other than stalls in the past few days.

I cheat, I have a house rule of one dog and one cat *only.* I've lived in the past with multiple indoor animals. And over the years I have decided that as much as I love animals, I also love a clean house that doesn't stink like wet dog or litter boxes. Or to be able to walk around not covered in more hair than the dog. And to not have to clean 24/7/365 to have those things.
    Meanwhile you'd think I'd learn to get a non-shedding or lower shedding breed, LOL! Although GSDs aren't known for being light on the shedding, after our Malamute he almost seems non-shedding.
    I do vacuum daily though...but takes all of 5 minutes most days so no big deal.
    I think the choice between carpet and hard floors is up to each individual. I have both, hardwoods in the halls and foyer, tile in kitchen and baths and carpet in living room and bedrooms. Had a house that was all hardwood everywhere. But the down side to that was that the dog hair is *really* visible all the time. Hair tumbleweeds floating by all the time, even right after I finished vacuuming. Not to mention really big dogs and real hardwood floors means a lot of scratches. With all tile, well a house tends to look like a hospital or warehouse with all tile floors. And you still have hair tumbleweeds. And tile and laminate floors show filth more easily. Carpeting is nice and comfy, but the hair sticks to it, all the dirt you can see on hard floors gets ground into carpet and it needs a lot of serious steam cleaning and replacing more often if you want it clean and stink free.
    Although a HUGE help is having a mud room. A serious large mud room, not just a small mud area. One with a low floor sink and hose for cleaning dogs off when they come in and that has a door or fence/gate for containing the wet clean dogs until dry. And big enough to have dog beds, a bench, a boot rack with mud tray, laundry, outer clothes storage, etc.
    I've been planning on having one built into my walk out basement eventually. As much for me as for the pets.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

MistyBlue - I agree about the mud room. We have a utility room that is very handy, but the dogs have to come in from outside and thru the sunroom into the utility room. Basically, the sunroom carpet always needs vacuuming.

The 2 dogs that are out more and get into stuff more sleep in the utility room. It is nice and big and they have their beds. It has a sink, but not a low one. All the dogs eat in there too, but they still manage to drool on the kitchen floor while I am preparing their food just enough so I can slip in it

A few rules help with keeping things cleaner. Dogs stay in the back room, EVERY ONE takes off shoes or boots to come past the back room doorway. I have some grippy rugs at strategic doorways, that catch lots of dirt, wash and dry quickly. Dogs have fleece blankets or old fuzzy saddle pads in the back room that they like to lay on, wash fast and easily. Have enough room for crates back there if we have a young puppy just learning the routine. Prevents accidents, destruction or chewed boots, other dog feeling crowded. Not a big room, but works well, before going on into the rest of the house.

All the family rooms are vinyl, only bedrooms are carpeted. I lived in one of those all-carpeted homes as a kid, was horrible to see the dirt come up when you cleaned the rugs, even often. That was a town house too, no farm dirt, just had lots of people in it. Would rather have vinyl!! You can see the dirt if it is there. Keeping dogs groomed weekly, brushed out, cuts down on hair shedding by the Corgi and indoor cat. Bouvier dog does not shed if kept groomed, but does need regular clipping like a poodle. We keep her clipped rather short except in mid-winter. They get regular baths year around, again helps with any dog smells and hair loss. I FEEL for the GSD owner and other shedding breeds, Corgi is enough shedding for us.

We love the dogs, but do not want hair wafting around, dirt tracked all over the house, so they are trained to stay in the back room. They do not sleep in the family beds, though the kid would really like that. Kid has to make do with the cat sleeping with her, who kept indoors, bathed and groomed regularly.

We are rather messy too, so the shoes off rule works pretty well for not tracking stuff thru the house. We get terrible mud and containing it is important. I have a Roomba, which works hard, does a fair job. I do move chairs and pick up small things to allow it clear access when sweeping floors. I have other vacs, for doing stairs and the couple thick area rugs we put down in winter.

We have very light color vinyl, which actually does not show dust or dog hair much. My mother-in-law told me about that when I asked how many times a day she swept with her black Lab mix. Her house always looked just-cleaned. So when picking flooring, I went with no-wax white that has speckled colors in the various rooms. Really does NOT show much except mud clumps. Lightens up the rooms as well so they look bigger.

I don't worry much about company, house is designed to clean fast and easy, for real working farm people. I would consider our standards of housekeeping relaxed. But we do have some standards to prevent losing the battle!! I could not tolerate a dog or cat stinky house. Vinyl is SO easy to clean, doesn't hold smells. Get a mop bucket with a handle squeezer so you can use HOT water, go faster, save your hands, like janitors use. Dogs not allowed on furniture, cat sits on laps or on her own small blanket on couch that she likes best.

I like my dogs a lot, don't need to treat them like children or have them sleep with me to prove it. Dogs accept the rules of the house they are raised with.

how do you keep your house CLEAN?
    We don't. Our house sits with the front next to one arena & one end next to another arena. Add in dusty arenas, wet/muddy/green with cow poo dogs (4 of them) and it's quite beyond me. I'm allergic to dust (perfect place for us to live, huh?) and have difficulty vacuuming or bending over due to physical problems & you have a house that gets spot cleaned most of the time and really cleaned only when we have company over - and then it depends on who's coming. When my mother was able to visit it would get "Mother Clean" before she came but for the most part it's always in some state of dusty. We have no air conditioner except a tiny one next to the computer, so the windows are open with fans on all summer & often in the winter. My hubby is a never pick up after himself, puts things away or picks up after the dogs have gutted a stuffed toy and after 39 years of marriage he's not likely to change. I've given up, frankly. Hiring someone to clean is out of the question as we simply can't afford it.

No carpet. Floors get swept regularly. Roomba runs when it can. Doggie door leads to fenced in yard, but before the grass, there's a 20' x 20' square of gravel with a gate. That means the dogs run in from the grass and have to walk over the gravel before they can come in the house. This gets lots of mud off their feet. The separate gate allows us to just keep the dogs in the gravel area if we need to, like when we've just mowed the yard. That way they don't track grass into the house. We have four dogs, and we've killed a couple of Roombas. It's still not clean enough, but we try.

Just say no to carpet! We fluctuate between 2-3 dogs. Right now we have two big hound mixes that shed, shed, shed. We have hard wood everywhere but our bedroom. I Swiffer (dust, not mop) the floors about every three days. Vacuum once a week. I have throws on everything, and shake them out every couple of days, wash them every week or so depending on use. I wash their beds once a month. When we're not home (I work PT), they get confined to the room above the garage. I do not let guests up there. We steam clean our bedroom about once every few months.

We have a dog door in the basement that they go in and out of. They're trained to check in with me when they come in, so I can usually catch them if they've been digging or are dirty. I have one of those tupperware under-the-bed storage containers on my deck for paw washing/foot baths.

I use those "Citrus magic" 60 day air fresheners you can get at Target (not plug in or spray, it's like a wax cake in a box) meant for basements and pet areas in our basement and in the room above the garage.

Floors get mopped and tile gets bleached about every 10 days, more often if the weather is bad.

When I can, I talk my hubby into taking a shedding blade to them. But that's not often.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My husband and I were just talking about the flooring dilemma with dogs, he said the ultimate would be concrete with a center drain, and just hose it down!

We need to replace the living/dining room carpet due to the dogs (puppyhood angst) and we don't know if we should go with laminate (that we did put in the kitchen and hallways) or another carpet. Carpet would be easier and cheaper, but won't last as long. Laminate more work and expense, but might last longer.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Housekeeper...

Mohawk laminate...cheap at Costco. Indestructible with a lifetime guarantee.