The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freestyle Music/ Music to ride to

I know there are the sites where you match your beat etc... but sometimes those songs are very obscure. I'd like to try to create a playlist of songs that are current/popular/very recognizable to ride to and give out to my other horse friends to use in the ring.

Any off the top of your head?

(yes... I'm well aware that not ever horse has the same beats... but there are songs that just match much better than others... like Tequila.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Several years ago I saw a bridle-less dressage horse at Equitana "dance" to the Cotton-Eyed Joe- very cool!

I think it would be fun to ride to "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" (Queen) , or what about that silly "Move It" song from Madagascar?

Some others- "All Star" -Smashmouth
    "Unchained Melody" -Righteous Brothers
    "The Ballroom Blitz"- The Sweet
    "Lola" - The Kinks
    "Beast of Burden" - Rolling Stones

Mr. Harvey Horse likes Elvis vs. JXL, "A Little Less Conversation"/
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I'd like to try to create a playlist of songs that are current/popular/very recognizable to ride to and give out to my other horse friends to use in the ring.
    And good luck to you! It has taken me over ten years to compile over 1200 timed music selections on www.equimusic.com So plan on putting some time into your project.

P.S. You'd be surprised how much current/popular music is not suitable for horse's tempos. I've looked at a lot of it and it's very hard to find unless you have a studio to modify the music appropriately. However, I keep looking each month as I update the data base.

P.P.S. I'm getting ready to add some FUN dance music from the 50s and 60s to my data base. Why so old? Because it was written as DANCE music and has a distinct tempo and great rhythm for horses.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thank you Mike for responding to my thread!!! I've been to your site before and its very very impressive. All of the FEI freestyles I've ridden I've done myself and they usually take me about two years to get the right music to put to the horses tempo... so I totally understand what you're saying and appreciate it. I think my next one I'm going to have my professional DJ "mix" up for me, as long as its not toooooo techno! I digress...

Right now I'm at a breeder barn where there are 3 of us riding breeder horses. Id like to pop in some music to first, get them use to it, and second, to give them something to "pop" to. Many of them are a bit unsteady and some music may help them with their consistency.

But any songs that people can think of that have a good beat to.. something that could drive you to move... would be great. I've seen quite a few people use the Pirates of the Caribbean music well, thats quite a beat!!

Thanks again Mike!!! I love your site! Have you ever thought about also having an option to organize by genre? So if someone attempts to use some of your extensive research, they can stay in the same thread of music, even if they aren't familiar with it off the bat?
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I have a whole playlist on my iPod called "Trail Mix;" specifically songs that I enjoy riding to (on trail, as the name suggests, but occasionally for arena work as well).

My horse's "favorite" seems to be You Sexy Thing by Hot Chocolate (off The Fully Monty soundtrack). He also likes just about anything by Johnny Cash.

Some other favorites on my list are Stand by Me by Ben E. King, Lose Yourself by Eminem, All These Things That I've Done by The Killers, and Wake Up by Arcade Fire. However, I have about 10 hours worth of music on that playlist, so I just put it on shuffle and ride accordingly.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Whether you like Parelli or not, he usually has some pretty good music to ride to in his demonstrations. These are the ones I wrote down from a demo I went to a few years ago:

Black Magic Woman, Santana
    Every Breath You Take, The Police
    House of Blue Lights, Asleep At the Wheel
    Just in Time, Dean Martin
    Miles and Miles of Texas, Asleep At the Wheel
    The Pink Panther Theme, Henry Mancini
    Route 66, The Cheetah Girls
    Spirit In the Sky, Norman Greenbaum
    Take It Easy, Eagles
    When You Carry Me, Mary Ann Kennedy (written specifically for Linda Parelli but you can buy it off Mary Ann's webpage)
    Where You Lead I Will Follow, Carole King
    (You Give Me) Fever, Buddy Guy
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

Some folks would hate it, but my mare really seemed to like the polka band that was performing in the grandstand next to the horse arena at our local fairgrounds.

Mike,

Could you explain why your BPMs are half of what the actual BPM usually is? That really threw me for a loop when I visited your site and I had no clue what to do with it.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I like all kinds of music and my iPod is loaded with a cross-section:

Trot Work:
    Mac the Knife by Bobby Darin (my ultimate favorite. Wonderful trot beat)
    Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol -- tons of Idol's songs are great for trot work
    Get In Line by Bare Naked Ladies -- this one runs a little fast at 165 BPM. I use it for inspiration and getting myself in a forward mode.
    Bring Me To Life by Evanescence -- I like this one for f/d/o to trot warm up
    Johanna from Sweeney Todd (Movie)
    A Little Priest from Sweeney Todd (Movie)
    Route 66 from the Cars Album (original one)
    Sh-Boom from the Cars Album
    Over the Mountains from Alexander, the movie
    Titans from Alexander, the movie

Just some of my favs that haven't been mentioned.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

There is an interesting new website that would match the style of music that you like and automatically will find and play similar style songs for you - FREE

Check it out: http://www.pandora.com

If you like an artist, just enter their name and listen to many, many choices of similar music!

Default Les Boreades

Beatles Baroque is excellent! You may have to do some internet searching to find it, but it is fantabulous instrumental versions of the most popular Beatles songs.
    Eleanor Rigby
    Norwegian Wood
    Piggies
    Martha My Dear
    Yesterday
    The Fool on the Hill
    Lady Madonna
    Because
    She's Leaving Home
    Dear Prudence
    Good Day Sunshine
    Blackbird
    Penny Lane
    Mother Nature's Son
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Roan View Post
    Mike,

Could you explain why your BPMs are half of what the actual BPM usually is? That really threw me for a loop when I visited your site and I had no clue what to do with it.

Eileen
    Actually my BPMs are exactly what they should be if you go back to the original book of riding to music - Dancing With Your Horse by Mary Campbell. Her husband was a musician and came up with the idea of counting the beat of ONE footfall at the walk, trot, and canter. Since then others have chosen to go with counting TWO footfalls at the walk and trot. My problem with that is a 74 bpm trot then becomes a 148 bpm trot and when you go to look for music, a selection at 74 bpm is going to be a lot different than one at 148 bpm. It's a matter of personal preference but if you use the two footfall technique, then just half the bpms and you get the bpms to match the music in my data base.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thanks again Mike!!! I love your site! Have you ever thought about also having an option to organize by genre? So if someone attempts to use some of your extensive research, they can stay in the same thread of music, even if they aren't familiar with it off the bat?
    The problem with organizing by genre is people have different ideas about music and what genre selections might belong in. That's why I have not organized by genre.

Glad to hear you like the site! Feedback like yours keeps me motivated and working on adding new selections to the site.

You can ride with music you like or you can ride to music that "fits" your horse. There is a BIG difference and people who ride to music that "fits" their horse can feel it - you and your horse are in total synch with the music. I see it all the time at my "Ride to Music" clinics. Find the right music and two things happen: (1) the rider has a BIG smile on her face, and (2) the rider and horse are totally transformed by the music - they are "dancing"! The other thing that often happens is I hear "I would never have expected that music would be the type for my horse!"

Dressage Art - thanks for the link to the pandora site!

Just to give you an idea of the FUN music I will be adding to the next update to the data base, take a listen to this 72 bpm trot piece "Baby Workout" by Jackie Wilson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJVcgP9ve-c

And here are the lyrics - are they not perfect for a freestyle? Just think of the choreography that you could match to the lyrics.

Hey, you!
    Come out here on the floor.
    Let's rock some more.
    Come out here on the floor,
    Honey, let's rock some more, yeah!

Now when you get out here
    Don't you have no fear.
    Put your hands on your hip
    And let your backbone slip
    And work out.

Oh, my momma, move up (first step),
    Party move back (second step),
    Shuffle to the left (third step),
    Wobble to the right (fourth step).

Now it's plain to see
    You put a hurtin' on me
    But it's a natural fact
    I like it like that,
    So work out!

Yeah, baby work out (work baby, work out)!
    Honey, work out!
    Ah, baby work out!
    Shout and turn the joint out!
    Work out!
    Work out!
    Work all night long!
    Yeah, yeah! (round and around and around and around)
    Baby, round and round we go.
    Don't you know, don't you know?
    Round and round we go,
    Where we stop, nobody knows.
    The band is swinging on the stand,
    We're moving in, we're moving out.
    Then we'll step back now and end this dance with a shout,
    So work out!

Now when I tell you to shout I want you to jump at it!
    Yeah, let's shout, baby, let's shout! (shout baby shout)
    Honey, let's shout!
    Baby, let's shout!
    Yeah, shout and turn it out, baby!
    Let's shout, let's shout, shout all night long!
    I gotta have it just one more time,
    Now here we go!
    Round and round we go,
    Now work out, work out, work all night long!
    Work out, baby!
    Work out woman!
    Shout and turn the joint out!
    Work out, work out, baby, baby...
    [fade]

This music is what I ride to, I find these in particular put me and Trickster into a really really focused state AND he seems to like these too, at least I am guessing he does when a song comes on and we have alot more suspension than we did to the previous one! Plus, I find they just fit his rythm and tempo, they may seem obsure, but if you listen to them, you will realize you know them!

The Assassin's Tango - from Mr & Mrs. Smith
    Theme from "The Great Escape" (the 1940's movie, military beat)
    Lute Suiet in E minor - J.s. Bach
    Waltz from Sleeping Beauty - Tchaikovsky
    Habanera (Carmen) - Charlotte Church
    Tango flamenco - Paco de Lucia
    Por Una Cabeza - Tango
    Egyptian Waltz - Strauss, Johann
    Classical Gas - Eric Clapton
    Cavatina (The Deer Hunter Theme) - John Williams
    Prelude from the Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007 - J.S. Bach
    Irish Music - Loreena McKennit
    Cesaria Evora - Tango To Evora 1 - Loreena McKennit
    In the Hall of the Mountain King - Wagner 1
    The mIght of Rome - Hans Zimmer
    Jessica's Theame - Man from snowy river

Well, there is a bit of my play list; Enjoy! I hope you take the time to try some of them out.