The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Do pregnant mares ever exhibit heat signs? i.e. tell me she's still pregnant please

Ok, I've never owned a mare before, so bear with me--I'm probably having novice breeder anxiety or something. Maybe some mares just act this way all the time? But I've had the mare at the farm (post weaning) for a couple days now and while not blatantly in heat (peeing, winking, etc.) she is acting a bit like she did when I saw her in heat this summer.

The first night she got my gelding (who I'm 99% sure is proud cut--or at least hormonal--and can act very study at times--although not necessarily requiring a female presence) ALL worked up--and he normally totally ignores the mares over the fence line. I couldn't 100% see what she was doing because I suddenly found myself with my hands FULL of hot and bothered boy (I was leading him by the fence and was stuck with him in the alley between her and a corn field). He's NEVER done that before--very naughty (crest up, piaffe/passage on the lead/erect). I was kind of like "Really--Seriously old man?"--and here I'd sooo wanted a picture of me holding my two horses when I had photos taken later this month *sigh*

Then last night she was showing some signs and doing her lip curl, which I think is her signature, "where's the boyz?" move (at least it was this summer).

But no pee/wink activity. Not that I saw her do that this summer either...

Tell me I'm being silly please and just don't know anything about girls--because the only girls I've ever dealt with were other people's horses I was riding. *sigh* She is on regumate and goes in on the 15th (day 55 post ovulation) for a hormone check and we will check for a heartbeat.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Default could be...don't worry

I feel your pain, I remember my anxiety when I had my pregnant mare last year. Poor girl was under a microscope for 11 months and I over analyzed EVERYTHING she did.
    From my very limited experience.... My mare showed heat signs for the first few months after being confirmed in foal. She would holler the boys and fling her tail up as they walked by. I was so worried that she had slipped that I even had her ultra-sounded before winter just to be sure! I know its hard to wait...but..um...get used to it, there is a lot of waiting involved for you and her over the next year!
    good luck!

My mare started showing signs of heat around 3 months, and it continued for a good couple months. She had silent heats the spring I bred her (a first for her, she had always been just obnoxious and a complete hussy before that). But at 3 months in foal, she was winking and peeing and such. Her filly is now 16 months old

Cool

Oh thank goodness--of course I'll know more in a little over a week, but still I was a bit suprised. Didn't want to have drunk the celebratory "we finally got her pregnant" wine bottle too soon and all.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My mare was winking at the neighbor's stud when she was 10 months along and delivered a perfect colt a month later. But she's a major hussie

If it will drive you crazy, get her checked again just to be sure but I think it's normal in plenty of mares.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

It's actually pretty common from around 90 days to around 120. I forget which hormone, but it peaks then. I have found that with my one mare, she shows heat with girls and acts studdy with boys. (i.e. sex of the foal) Same mare will *act* like she's in heat (stand, squirrel tail, squeal and stomp all prissy--but not actually squirt) late in pg, or, again, show pleghmen, scream and trash talk and mount mares like a stallion right around 10 months through foaling...

Of course, I'm the one that spent 3 weeks fretting over a false pregnancy last month... So take THAT for what it's worth.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)