The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Cleaning

Oh no! Not cleaning tack!

So, I have been digging around tack stores, trying to find something to clean my tack that works the absolute best - to no avail! It is either I have a very high standard, I am just retarded in my methods or nothing truly works

So my question to you is - what do you use to clean your tack and make it gleam?

Vaseline

Well, this is kind of an aside, but Fredelka Leather Dressing is AMAZING. It's advertised as a cleaner, but I've only ever used it as a restorer or to break in new leather. Will turn anything butter-soft.

Tattersal's. Love it. Stock up on it whenever I see it.

Leather Therapy
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Default Saddler's One Step

I've been a Murphy's Oil girl for about 25 years! In the past year or two, I've started using Saddler's one-step. LOVE IT! I still use murphy's when I feel like my tack needs a good washing - but I use this stuff for every day cleaning - I keep the sponge clean by rinsing in a bucket of water, then just pour a bit of this on the sponge. It cleans, conditions and does not create a build-up. I've been darn impressed.

http://www.jmsaddler.com/products.php
    If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or you asked the question wrong.
    www.golightlysporthorses.com
    www.golightlysporthorses.blogspot.com/

Dawn dish washing detergant, the blue kind (not the bleach). Works the best, doesn't leave that nasty feel to the tack either. And I won't use glycerine on my black tack because over time it takes out the dye. For oil I use Hydrophane works great, and doesn't leave the saddle to slick.

Swipe with a damp sponge to get all the dirt off, then apply Passier Lederbalsam to keep it soft and supple (or spritz the Passier bridle cleaner on my thinner strapped tack like bridles and breastplates, etc.)

A few years ago I was given a large tub of Belvoir tack soap, and I love it! My tack is clean, soft and supple... smells great too!

Passier, passier, passier!

Default The best daily tack cleaner!

I used to be a groom for a top notch rider and this is the best I've ever used for a daily tack cleaner.

I dip a bit of Lexol conditioner on a sponge. (Put the sponge up to the bottle and turn the bottle over until a little bit of the conditioner has soaked into the sponge) Then rub the sponge once or twice over a glycerine bar. Then apply this to your tack.

The Lexol is a liquid so just using it all the time will dry your tack out slightly. Just using the glycerine bar with water on the sponge will cause your tack to become gunky. The lexol takes a bit of the gunkiness away and the glycerine reduces the drying effect of the lexol to create the perfect daily tack cleaner.