The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaning Tall Boots?

I have a pair of pull on Ariats and I have a show this weekend and they're dirty from riding and being at the barn. The seams are dusty and they just needs a good cleaning. Any advise?

Um, clean them? I would wipe them off, dry them and polish the h--- out of them.

Do people use soap on their tall boots at all? I only use mine for showing so they don't really get that dirty, just dusty - I wipe them down with a damp rag, then polish them. But if they got really mucky, would some saddle soap wreck the finish on them? Obviously you'd have to polish after.... Just one of those things I'm too chicken to try on my own boots

Glycerin soap, a rag, and then boot polish. Do NOT use polish on the insides of your boots (the side that rubs against the saddle.)
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

First, keep in mind that I have my own place and no hubby to wring my neck.

I take mine to the deep kitchen sink and brush off with a brush if there's mud. Then I use cleaner like Lexol and clean. Then oil as needed and/or polish.

For just inbetween rides, brushing them off is usually sufficient.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Scrub off the muck GENTLY with a soft nailbrush under running water, and pat dry.

While they finish drying, google "spit and polish" or similar on how to condition your boots and get them really shiny.

If you want shiny boots, follow the instructions and only use proper boot polish, not anything meant for cleaning tack. But if they don't need to be super-shiny, go ahead and use tack cleaning stuff. They won't be shiny, but they will be well-conditioned.

If you polish them up properly, the layers of polish protects the leather and makes them much easier to maintain.