The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reitsport Alternative?

I have been trying to feed Reitsport for the months - my picky horse will eat it sometimes, and other times he leaves every bit in the bottom of the bucket. I'm sick of wasting money on this supplement...but I LOVE the ingredients in it. I've tried my best to get him used to it and Horsetech has been wonderful about trying different flavors, etc, but I think its time to throw in the towel.

I need a multi-vite, mineral, and joint supplement similar to Reitsport, but I would prefer something in a pellet form. Does anyone have any suggestions for comparable alternatives?

Thanks!

I use a small amount of oil to get the supplement to stick to his grain. That prevents him from "eating around it".

I know Horsetech will flavor their formulas for picky eaters. Call and speak to Ron (owner of the company) and see if he can help you.

Have you tried adding water to his grain? or applesauce? Just some thoughts, as my guys have often sifted thru their powdered supps too but adding water and thoroughly mixing made everything palatable again .

If that doesn't work, I do love Smartpak's supps. SmartMSM has 10,000mg of MSM per serving and I use that plus Flex Force HA (thru Valley Vet) for joints. Mega-Cell is my multi-vite of choice. All three are available in pelleted versions. Smartpak has a wide variety of joint supps... may be worth a shot to compare them to Reitsport to see who is similiar.

Good luck. I know how difficult it can be to make sure your horse gets all his supps... try dealing with a barn where they refuse to add water to supps, so like lots of $$$ goes down the drain every day because horse wasn't eating supps. That's been resolved now though .
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

kaboomeventing Guest

yup. time to add some moisture.

Give beet pulp or oil a try before throwing in the towel.

Taryn - we've done the flavors. His supp is flavored w/ molasses now, the only one he wouldn't boycott his entire meal over!

I will try the liquid method. We started out using water and that worked ok - maybe I'll try a squirt of oil or applesauce.

Thanks!

Thumbs down

Well, since I originally posted, I've tried mixing the Reitsport w/ oil, water, etc. Nothing is working. My horse will eat everything around it and leave the supplement.

So - back to my original question. Does anyone have any recommendations for a comparable supplement in pellet form?

not pellet form but Platinum - PP or CJ - smells wonderful - like apples - both my picky OTTB's scarf it up. No issues with them eating it. Plus it has wonderful stuff in it.

http://www.platinumperformance.com/a...category_id=60

Why not completely soak his feed? We do it all the time, to get more water in them, and then my gelding had a mild case of choke and the vet recommended it. I feed a powdered supplement as well, and am going to try and switch over to Reitsport, and Oliver gobbles it up, mush and all. It's a bit messy, but at least I know water's getting in him one way or another. I've never known a horse to turn down food that's been thorougly wetted (of course, we feed Triple Crown Complete, which turns into a mush with water).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Honestly, I don't think oral joint supplements do anything. I give my guy Glanzen lite with MSM and Adequan IM. If the horse is on grain, I would think he shouldn't need a separate multivitamin supplement.

eventer-mi: He won't eat it completely soaked. A little moisture is ok, but mushy - he won't touch it!

luise - he doesn't get a fortified grain product. He eats Alfalfa pellets and rice bran, along w/ reitsport (or not).