The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Major Jingles needed--Update he is gone

My 6 year old came down with 107 temp on sunday, no other symptoms...bloodwork all normal. Temp Mon highest was 104, down to 102, normal by last night, today 98. We have been pushing fluids since Sunday, but no improvement. He went down last night. My vet was here all night pushing fluids, he finally got up at 4, but went back down at 6...still down. We started iv tetracycline (type antibiotic) sunday night...he is just getting worse, extremely weak, maybe neurological...vets are a little confused, they seem to think that all signs point to neurologic herpes, problem is he hasnt gone anywhere in over a month to be exposed to any other horses, so I am having a hard time buying that...

Anyone else out there with thoughts? if it is herpes anyone have a horse come back from this? I am not at all optimistic to be honest. He is still down now, but trying hard to get up, he is mad that he is down...getting very hard to watch.

Know with the thought of herpes I am so worried about my other two in my barn...

I made the decision to let him go, he was so tired of fighting, I sat with him for over an hour until the vet came washing his face with a cold towel, he was so peaceful finally...I cant believe this...we are testing for herpes so will what the test comes back as.
    Last edited by hookedoneventing; Jul. 28, 2009 at 07:54 PM.

That sounds so scary! Lots of jingles for you and your guy......

Poor boy - I hope he will be OK. Best wishes!!

Jingling for you... I hate it when they do this and you don't know what's wrong!!!
    Last edited by LSM1212; Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

I'm sending you jingles and prayers with hopes of a complete and speedy recovery.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Jingles!

Default Sending jingles

I really hope you get some relief soon. Hope it turns around for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedoneventing View Post
    My 6 year old came down with 107 temp on sunday, no other symptoms...bloodwork all normal. Temp Mon highest was 104, down to 102, normal by last night, today 98. We have been pushing fluids since Sunday, but no improvement. He went down last night. My vet was here all night pushing fluids, he finally got up at 4, but went back down at 6...still down. We started iv tetracycline (type antibiotic) sunday night...he is just getting worse, extremely weak, maybe neurological...vets are a little confused, they seem to think that all signs point to neurologic herpes, problem is he hasnt gone anywhere in over a month to be exposed to any other horses, so I am having a hard time buying that...

Anyone else out there with thoughts? if it is herpes anyone have a horse come back from this? I am not at all optimistic to be honest. He is still down now, but trying hard to get up, he is mad that he is down...getting very hard to watch.

Know with the thought of herpes I am so worried about my other two in my barn...
    Jingles for your horse.

Did they take a swab to test for EHV?

I was at a barn two years back where two horses came down with neuro EHV, and they had not been anywhere either, so it is possible. Our barn went into quarantine for a couple of months and only one other horse (of 40) had any signs. It's a scary disease. I hope your horse recovers quickly!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

My understanding is that it's possible for a horse to carry the virus and be ok until stressed, and that that's how some outbreaks begin. Jingling for you.

Thanks guys for the jingles...he is not looking good, it breaks my heart to see him struggling to try and get up and he is getting weaker and weaker. I fear the inevitable is looming...we are trying a last ditch effort of steroids through the night but if he isnt up by morning I am afraid I will have to let him go.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I am hoping for a good outcome.

OH MY !!! I am so sorry to hear this about your horse. Madly jingling for you and your horse!!!!!!!! JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE AO ~ AO ~ AO Always Optimistic ! Good Luck & Thoughts and prayers for you and your gelding.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I am so sorry...I hope you will get some answers.

How horrible for you both. It sounds like you did everything you possibly could and made the tough decision when the time came. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that. Godspeed.

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Unhappy so sorry

I am so very sorry to hear this, good for you for staying with him, and trying to bring him some comfort which, I am sure you did; you gave him the ultimate in care and love.I hope you can get some rest and support from those around you

hugs
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I'm so sorry for you. Godspeed, good horse.
    Click here before you buy.

i am so sorry....it just hurts like hell.

I'm very sorry he couldn't be saved. My condolences.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams