The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How was River Glen?

Was anyone at River Glen this weekend? How did it go?

This thread implies the XC is challenging...
    http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=213556

--
    Wendy
    http://pbase.com/wendysmoak/patrick

I've been wondering the same thing. The weather has been so wet I wondered how it affected the event.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

It was very wet (especially in the stabling areas). Overall, it's a lovely venue, but I don't think that the xcountry was challenging at all. There wasn't any ditch on the training course, the water was very simple (There wasn't hardly any water in the water complex at all. I think there were bigger puddles on other flat parts of the course), but I felt the course was very long for August (2500 meters, but I wheeled it at 2565, and they have some terrain as well). In regards to wheeling and measuring the courses, I wheeled my training course a little long, but my friend wheeled her prelim course almost 400 meters short. We discussed whether the course designer had in fact wheeled at all or just estimated. Her posted distance was 3200 meters exactly, and mine was 2500 meters exactly which seemed very odd to me.

There were lots of issues in SJ, but most of it seemed to be due to bad riding (myself included, having a horrible trip, but completely due to backwards riding and nerves) rather than course design. My friend won her prelim division and had a lovely trip all around. I had a pretty dismal show, but at least I know what to work on for the next time out.
    "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

My barn is 15 minutes from River Glen, so I've been there a lot(didn't get to go last weekend though. ). The XC isn't very challenging, but if you don't have a lot of experience with varied terrain it will seem tough. There are lots of hills. Also, when the ground is wet, it can be a nightmare. The dirt is red clay, so it gets VERY slippery. My trainer has had 2 horses fall from slipping and not being able to get their balance back.

Default River Glen needed to build an Ark (and I should know)

I ran this past weekend, and found the organizers/secretary/volunteers/etc. VERY nice, helpful, and willing to do the right thing for all competitors <big smile>.

I also agree that the fences were very small for all levels--the Prelim course looked like a NC Trng course. The rain, however, on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday killed the xc course---not just wet, but complete mud bogs in areas that looked flat/firm until you galloped into them and sank 6 or more inches. I also agree with the previous poster that the Trng course was longer than wheeled (probably closer to 2600m than 2500m)...as there were far too many time penalties at 420mpm for horses who have run courses at 470-520mpm earlier this season on comparable or hillier terrain. That said, I graciously accept my time penalties, as my horse was barefoot, at his first event after fracturing his ankle in March, and I was a wee bit obsessed with the bogs--not that it matters anyway as he strained a flexor tendon somewhere on course and is back on stall rest <sigh>!

Overall, friendly atmosphere and great people, but very small courses for their level. Great place to move up, though (especially Prelim and Int).

Abbey

My daughter ran the training course and was also complaining about the size of the cross country course. I also thought the course was longer than posted - we wheeled it closer to 2600 meters.

The show jumping course caused more problems than we expected - don't know if it was harder than it seemed (bending lines, longer distances between fences to allow horses to get flat). My daughter had one of the few clean training rounds (although had a rub at the last fence but it stayed up). She finished in 3rd so was thrilled, but wished the cross country was more challenging. Although, with the wet conditions it may have been a good thing that the course wasn't too tough!

We always enjoy going to River Glen. It's a very laid back environment.

This thread implies the XC is challenging...
    http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=213556
    ummm... no, that thread implies the SJ is challenging. The XC is generally very straightforward (apart from the rain !)

RayRay's daughter's experience is exactly as I'd expect.

Any chance that the CD made the course a wee bit easier considering the weather??? It just seems ironic that everyone is complaining about the jumps being on the easy side and the weather causing things to be muddy & slick in the same breath
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Any chance that the CD made the course a wee bit easier considering the weather??? It just seems ironic that everyone is complaining about the jumps being on the easy side and the weather causing things to be muddy & slick in the same breath
    I've only been there once, but the course was easy (and the weather was supposed to be nice- freak rain). BN was a series for speed bumps over some varied terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Not in my opinion--the jumps had obviously been set weeks before the event and mowed around (as evidenced by tall grass under/around them in places), and the course designer was not on-site to make last minute changes because of the rain. Also, the ground jury made no changes in either the course or speed (N-I)--I think the BN speed was dropped a bit.

That said, there's nothing wrong with having events that are easy for the level...I think many riders at this particular event were disappointed that it was so easy (especially this late in the season and right before the AECs). It also adds to the current discussion about the huge variability in courses around the country--for example, each of those courses (BN-I) was one level easier in terms of height/width and question asked than we would expect to see on a recognized course in NC (not a judgment, just an observation).

1 members found this post helpful.