The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody in N GA feel the earthquake ?

Everything shook this morning about 9:40 - about 3.2 apparently. All the animals went weird too.

I'm Not from GA but usually I don't feel the smaller earthquakes like the 3's as an earthquake but a sudden wave of dizziness. Its weird and I'm not surprised the horses went a little kooky.

I felt it and no one else believed me. Thanks for giving me some credibility.

By golly, the Earth really did move. And I thought...
    Never mind.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    By golly, the Earth really did move. And I thought...
    Never mind.
    *snork!*

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

lol frank... lol
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

and here I was, pissed off at UT because they are budgeting millions of dollars towards a study of the fault line near chattanooga, because I didn't think an earthquake would happen
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Earthquakes are sprouting up in places they haven't normally been lately. I live in a part of Los Angeles that they have always said would be the LEAST affected by the "big one" (Torrance South Bay Area) expect the last few noticable ones have had the epicenter with in a few miles of me as close as 1 mile even...

I was in the bathtub for the 5.1 we had

3.1? That's it? Hee hee hee...

No, sorry, I shouldn't make fun because when we here in So Cal get a little rain we have 24 hour STORM WATCH coverage.

tothepointe--you're right about earthquakes occurring in unusual places lately. I felt the one you're talking about (I'm way out in Lake Elsinore) and when they said where it was centered I was like, "Torrance? Seriously??" But apparently it was on the same fault system as the Long Beach earthquake years ago.

I wonder if the horses here ever notice the ground rumbling.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

It had a rumbly sort of noise too. We don't usually have them around her. Centred at McCaysville I believe.
    AP report (with the wrong time)

Minor earthquake rattles southeastern Tenn., NC
    (AP) – 5 hours ago
    DUCKTOWN, Tenn. — A minor earthquake rattled the mountainous area of southeastern Tennessee, western North Carolina and northern Georgia on Saturday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
    The 3.2-magnitude temblor happened about 11 a.m. Saturday. Its epicenter was located about 55 miles east of Chattanooga, near the town of Ducktown.
    Becky Cearley, a dispatcher with the Polk County Sheriff's Department, described the incident as "pretty intense."
    "It shook the whole entire building for what seemed like forever, but it was just a matter of seconds," she said. She said she received no reports of damage or injuries.
    A dispatcher with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office in North Carolina, just east of the epicenter, also said there were no reports of damage or injuries, but a couple of people did call wondering what had happened.
    The U.S. Geological Survey received reports of light shaking as far away as Gainesville, Ga., about 60 miles to the south.

Actually, now that I think of it, did it crawl further north at all? Couple of girls in the early riding lessons suddenly got queasy and had to get off. Thought it was heat-related, but both were pretty hydrated.

Hrm.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Hmmm, I was in Canton at that time this AM...hubby was gone for work...but, we should have felt it, Im about half an hour from MCCayesville!!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Hunh, I live just north of Chattanooga & I didn't feel (or hear) a thing. Though there's a pretty sizeable river/lake between me and the epicenter, I wonder if that makes a difference?

No anomalies in critter behavior either, and I have a bunch here of various species.

Hubby just said he did feel it. Said it felt and sounded like a big rumble of thunder and lasted about just as long.

He said the kittehs did not show any additional weird behavior.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Didn't feel it up here in New York, but I'd would have had to be able to surface for air and remove my snorkel mask. We're drowning up here - cue the locusts please.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Hmmm, I was in Canton at that time this AM...hubby was gone for work...but, we should have felt it, Im about half an hour from MCCayesville!!!
    Sometimes you can just miss them somehow when they are small. I was living in Oakland and was on the bed watching the news. Our bird fell off her perch and started screaming about it and on the news they said "wow, did you feel that earthquake?" I didn't feel a thing.

A few years back we had one in middle Ga. I was asleep and woke up with my feet shaking like crazy and and noise that sounded like something banging really fast in my livingroom.
    Groggy, I thought those dogs (big) are in there playing but why are my feet shaking?
    Found out later it had been an earth quake and my dogs weren't even in. First and hopefully the last I ever experience!!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Nope. I didn't feel it, but I did feel the one back in 2003 or so.

We had a teeny one over here last Feb. Didn't seem to bother the horses, or most of my dogs, but the worrier dog was much more clingy than usual.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!