The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The little things that make a great day

So I was having a very bad day. And I mean bad, personal life out the door horses to blame blah blah blah. Anyway here I am tired and miserable half in tears all day and I have my last lesson kid show up. Little 8 year old girl who only came to me about 3 months ago and she had ridden for about a year before that. Poor kid has been struggling to get the post down pat. No rhythm at all. Lesson after lesson she would hover above the pony sort of somewhere between a sitting trot and a 2 point. I had been doing a myriad of different exercises with her to try and get it.
    Well tonight she is on the lunge and had picked up the trot. I'm sitting there running over things in my mind on what to try next and it took me a few seconds to realize she was posting. She had a lightbulb moment and it all clicked. We grinned ear to ear the whole lesson.

It was that tiny little thing that my whole day worth it. I am still smiling. Thanks lesson kid.

Anyone else have one of those moments or events that just makes the the day all good?
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Default Thanks for making me smile

Just reading your post put a smile on my face. I love it when one little thing can turn the day around and make the day positive. And, when it involves a child, that's even better. I can just picture that "ear to ear" grin your student had--I love seeing those! Reminds us not to take things too seriously and appreciate the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by eventchic33 View Post
    So I was having a very bad day. And I mean bad, personal life out the door horses to blame blah blah blah. Anyway here I am tired and miserable half in tears all day and I have my last lesson kid show up. Little 8 year old girl who only came to me about 3 months ago and she had ridden for about a year before that. Poor kid has been struggling to get the post down pat. No rhythm at all. Lesson after lesson she would hover above the pony sort of somewhere between a sitting trot and a 2 point. I had been doing a myriad of different exercises with her to try and get it.
    Well tonight she is on the lunge and had picked up the trot. I'm sitting there running over things in my mind on what to try next and it took me a few seconds to realize she was posting. She had a lightbulb moment and it all clicked. We grinned ear to ear the whole lesson.

It was that tiny little thing that my whole day worth it. I am still smiling. Thanks lesson kid.

Anyone else have one of those moments or events that just makes the the day all good?
    I'm sure I could think of an answer to your question, but I just want to say that you've got me smiling too.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"