The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Humidity + Tack Locker = Yuck! Ideas?

Thanks to this lovely weather we've been having, my tack is miserable (just like me). Here is the situation: I have a tack locker where I board my horse that is similar to a wooden cabinet, which creates the following problems:
    1. It is not ventilated and I cannot drill holes in it or alter it in any way.
    2. It must stay closed and locked at all times because things will majikally disappear if it is not.
    3. My girth/saddle pad/helmet are not always completely dry when I have to lock them back up because of the disgusting humidity.
    4. I can't take my tack home overnight because I half-lease my horse so everything needs to be there for the lessee to use.
    Oh, wise COTH members, what do you recommend? I need something to absorb moisture to get rid of the funky/musty smell in there and to keep my tack from growing mold. Has anyone had any luck with something like DampRid in their tack lockers? I'd love any suggestions!

Yes, DampRid works great!

I don't know DampRid specifically, but those little things with the crystals or whatever in them that attract moisture from the air work wonders. One of the houses I rented had a bathroom that was very poorly vented and so it sort of had a perpetual musty/moldy smell until I took to keeping one of those things in there all the time.

I second Damp Rid. You can get refills for the containers. Even with that, if your helmet is really wet, take it home with you and let it dry out.

I had a bucket of Damp-Rid in my hand tonite and put it back on the shelf. I'm having a problem with all of my tack getting moldy. We have had a ton of rain this past week and everything is steamy...ugh! To top it off, my tack stall is just that: a stall that I've converted into my tack/feed room since the other barn that housed my tack room had to be torn down. It's obviously not fully enclosed so I was wondering how much the Damp-Rid would work.
    Anyone have any ideas they could send my way?
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Where is DampRid sold???
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

Default 2 saddle pads

and each take one home to wash/and or/dry

or a bottle of real bleach [not the color safe, smell good, not really bleach] in the locker back corner with the cap left off [or just loose if the chlorine smell becomes overpowering]
    caution anything not stainless steel will corrode
    more hay, less grain

I got DampRid at Walmart anytime I had bought it in the past, or any grocery store
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Charcol briquettes can help and for the tack stall one , if you have electric close by, a dehumidifier really does the trick.

I love DampRid too in my tack armoire'.

Any Walgreens, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Home Depot or hardware store should have them. They come in assorted sizes too.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

A dehumidifier in the tack room will do wonders; so will an air conditioner.

You might try a local gun shop. There are many products sold to protect weapons from the ravages of humidity. You might find somethere there you can use.

Good luck!

G.

If many boarders were having this problem, you would think a responsible barn owner/manager would put in a dehumidifier, or modify the lockers to permit proper air circulation.

When we built the lockers where we use to board, we designed them for free flow of air. We used perforated pegboard for the backs and left 2" gaps at the top and bottom of the locker doors.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    I had a bucket of Damp-Rid in my hand tonite and put it back on the shelf. I'm having a problem with all of my tack getting moldy. We have had a ton of rain this past week and everything is steamy...ugh! To top it off, my tack stall is just that: a stall that I've converted into my tack/feed room since the other barn that housed my tack room had to be torn down. It's obviously not fully enclosed so I was wondering how much the Damp-Rid would work.
    Anyone have any ideas they could send my way?
    DampRid will help, even in open areas, if you put out enough. Boat places will also have good ideas. Although a dehumidifier will work best, a boat drier (also called a cabin drier) will also help. Very low temps, so no fire danger.