The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rant... People posting facebook photos

Why do people always post horse photos from facebook that dont work?? If your horse photos are set to private, or your account is private... the photos will not work. Do they not realize this??

THANK YOU. UGH that drives me nuts.

I don't even click image links that are from facebook anymore. Really people, is it that hard to use an image hosting site?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Default Thank You!

It drives me crazy too. I don't have a Facebook account, so probably 50% of the photos posters link to from this BB are unviewable for me.

How am I supposed to have an opinion about something I can't see?

Default Ditto

What sublime said. FB et al. are verboten in my world. Sorry if that offends the masses, but, yuck, no can do.

I have to use Facebook for work. It drives me nuts! Webshots links are another pet peeve of mine. That site is so slow to load.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yep, I don't need to add any more internet sites to waste time on even though I have a batch of my ex co-worker/friends that are keeping in touch on FB. DD put together a Photobucket account so we could share pictures with Grandma easily and that is as far as we go.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't mind the gratuitous Facebook linkage that seems to occur on some forums, particularly the H/J one, but I can't say I really understand why people don't just use Webshots or some other site instead for photo sharing.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

People are just putting the wrong links when they link to their facebook photos...

For facebook users who didn't know this already: when you're looking at one of your photos, at the bottom of the page you should see this, in smaller writing "Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link" and a link...use that link, not the link from the address box. It is possible to see photos from someone's facebook even if they are private, you just have to use the correct link.

I don't use other sites for photo sharing because I don't really see the point. I have my facebook and upload all my photos there, why would I want to spend the time uploading all my pictures to yet another site?

Same with the "Chronicle of My Horse" pages.... if you aren't a member (and I have no reason to be), then you can't see the posted photos. I've yet to see anything that sounded compelling enough to join just so I could see the pictures.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The sad thing about COMH is that I know a lot of people who signed up for it yet nobody I know, and I know a lot of people, actually uses it anymore. One thing that annoys me about that website is that you can't do ANYTHING without EVERYONE else knowing you did it. There doesn't seem to be much privacy control on there short of not doing anything.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

There IS a public link for photos, you just have to use it.
    When you select a photo, DON'T just copy the URL, that is linked to your account and subject to however you have your settings set (redundant).

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and in teensy tiny print (or maybe it just looks tiny, as I am OLD) there is a link that states that it will make your photo visible to anyone regardless of your settings or viewers FB status.

Use that one.

So don't stop clicking on FB links....they might work.

And now that I have written this all out, I see that there is a post above that I missed that explains this. Duh! Well, I am going to leave it, if it gets repeated another 7 times some people will remember it.

You can also change your language to Pirate down there in the tiny links. More people would visit facebook pages if they knew how funny it was in Pirate. Arrgh!

FB photos can be set for public viewing. Here's a recent one of my TB. If non FB users can't see it, please let me know. Everyone should be able to view it. That's why most people don't hesitate to post FB photos. They assume everyone can see them just fine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=56ccc19b8a

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    FB photos can be set for public viewing. Here's a recent one of my TB. If non FB users can't see it, please let me know. Everyone should be able to view it. That's why most people don't hesitate to post FB photos. They assume everyone can see them just fine.

I can see it and I can't generally see FB pages.
    Beautiful picture and awesome gray horse.

I usually prefer to use Flickr because webshots always has made my photos look reeeeeeally dark when I've posted to it. Plus, like someone else said, they're really slow, too. I never use Facebook, because frankly, there are some wackos out there and I'm not entirely comfortable not being "somewhat" anonymous. I've been stalked from other websites before, and it isn't cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post

I don't use other sites for photo sharing because I don't really see the point. I have my facebook and upload all my photos there, why would I want to spend the time uploading all my pictures to yet another site?
    So people who do not have access to facebook can see them! How is that for a reason?

My company, like many companies I am told, does not allow us access to facebook. So any photo that is posted from facebook is not accessible to me.

I am sure it is a wonderful photo, still can not see it though.

It is very frustrating.....

I can't see anything posted from FB or Webshots.

We have the Barracuda filtering system at work, so I can't access either of those two. It's kind of random though, because I can see Photoshop and Flickr pictures.

I keep telling people to STOP trying to 'friend' me on FB, because I don't have access to it. They get mad when I don't respond, even after I've e-mailed them and said I can't access FB, Twitter, et al.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Aug. 3, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Yeah, ppl who are behind a firewall at work will NOT be able to see FB pics.

Nancy, I can see yours fine but am NOT behind a firewall.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm not going to post my pics multiple places; most people I know are on FB and that's where my pics go. So sorry if you can't see them, but no skin off of my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I'm not going to post my pics multiple places; most people I know are on FB and that's where my pics go. So sorry if you can't see them, but no skin off of my nose!

No skin off mine if I can't see 'em, either!

I think FB is a waste of time. First it was MySpace, now it's FB and Twitter.

What happened to keeping in touch via IM and e-mail?

I think I'm just getting old and crotchety, because I don't see the need for more crap to take up bandwidth.

I actually find it a relief not to have internet at home. I tend to spend more time with my horses and horsey friends that way.

You kids get off my lawn! I know where you live!!!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.