The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question do you have a tack locker?

do you have a tack locker at your barn? If so what do you keep in it?

My farm uses the locker system. In this I keep everything I would use on a daily basis. The system works quite well in my opinion and really looks nice in a finished tack room. Of course, it can be a pain to transfer things into the trunks while showing. I really like the system though!

Can I be the idiot that asks what a tack locker is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Ive never been at a barn that utilized the system, but I do think it would be neat.

At a barn I was at in Vermont they had tack lockers that you could fit your trunk in the bottom - it was a wonderful idea! Your trunk, saddle(s), bridles(s) and a shelf on top for saddle pads, sheets, whatever. The tack room always looked neat and tidy - I loved it!!

My last barn had lockers, and they were -wonderful-. Large (6' tall, approx. 30" wide, and 26 or 28" deep), with a saddle rack (some had two) and a shelf on top. You'd put your bridle(s) or halter(s) on the bridle hooks on the door or inside the door, and your brush box on the floor, and we also kept a rubbermaid tote for stuff like the bareback pad and extra saddle pads on the floor. On the shelf above, we kept medical supplies and show grooming stuff (clippers, showsheen, etc).

It was absolutely fabulous, and I hated hated hated moving to a communal tack room where all my things are out in the open for anyone to wander through and take if they're so inclined. Not that I'm terribly worried about this, because obviously people do it all over the country (if not the world) this way, and usually don't have problems... but I really liked my locker.

It's simply a large lockable storage area with saddle/bridle racks, and often times shelving if they are large enough. Most farms have them made of finished wood, not the metal school type ones. Think closet like structure.

I see. Thank you. That seems like it would be a very nice way to keep things organized. My tack trunk is always a mess, so I like the idea of hooks and shelves.

My barn has them, and I LOVE them It is so much easier to keep everything in there, neatly organized, than to have to dig through a trunk for stuff, or have it out to get "borrowed." They go almost up to the ceiling, so maybe 7' tall, with room for a grooming tote/medical box/clipper box on the floor, two saddle racks on the wall, and a small top shelf for boots, treats, tack cleaning supplies, etc. The door has two bridle racks, and I think most of us have some sort of additional hooks for lead ropes, etc.

As HJPony says, it's really more like a closet than a school locker. I think my tack locker is actually larger than my linen closet at home

Our barn has them for boarders. Each locker is shared by two people; it has two saddle racks inside plus a shelf on top, and most people add some extra hooks for bridles/etc. They sit about 2' off the floor, so underneath, people shove their tack trunks and extra stuff.

I wish we had enough room for us all to have our own lockers... my "lockermate" and I try to keep ours tidy, but it's a fairly small space for two peoples' stuff, so you can only do so much. But it's much better than having all your stuff out in the open for anyone to pick through.

With that being said, quite a few of us don't keep ours locked, because we have agreements amongst each other re: being able to borrow certain things as needed. We're all pretty respectful of it though; none of my stuff has ever gone missing unless I forgot to put it away, in which case I usually end up tracking it down in the student tack room.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Yes. Mine is a free-standing outside one; most of them are within one of two tackrooms-kids and amateurs.

Saddle(s), pads, bridles (not show ones), grooming tote, usually a scrim or dress sheet, whips, bottles and jars of stuff, extra wraps, vet supplies, etc. I have bridle racks and strings for towels and horse boots on the door. Metal shelving along one side holds bottles and jars. Whips and spurs and a tack-cleaning bucket hang. There is a big shelf at the top where I have plastic containers (mostly with pull-out drawers). Photo attached.

I also have a show trunk which contains, aside from show-only stuff, blankets that aren't being used and a few other things. Those I transfer into my locker when I go to a show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tack_locker.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	26165  
    The Evil Chem Prof

We have them at the show barn I board at and I like it very much. Has a saddle rack, basket, and two or three bridle racks. I keep my halters (My horses are outside) a half pad, bridles and martingales, boots, helmet and brushes. I take my saddle home with me and bring a clean pad everyday so that way I can wash and my boys don't have to have a nasty pad.

We have them- they are wooden, about 5x3x3 and are in the front corner of our stall. In mine I have a shelf, a saddle rack, hooks for bridles, halters, strap goods. Rubbermaid storage drawers for polos and boots, that my saddle pads sit on, and room for my grooming box. On top of my locker I have a smaller 3x3x3 wooden box that I can keep small items in. I also have a large Rubbermaid and a small Rubbermaid for additional tack and feed. Sometimes I wish I could have a 12x12 tack room, but they are fairly expensive and not close to my stall, so I just cram what I have into my lockers. Everything stays padlocked so that it doesn't wander off.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I am at barn that does not supply tack lockers but boarders are allowed to bring in their own tack lockers and/or storage systems as the tack room is quite large. My husband turned an old armoire we had into a tack locker for me when I moved to the barn. He installed a saddle rack, 3 bridle hooks, 2 hooks for martingales and several other hooks for hanging my helmet and bits. He also made a box for wraps/quilts on the bottom, room for first aid and bathing stuff and put a lock on it to keep my stuff secure.

It was fairly easy to put together inside the existing armoire. I thought it was a nice option for a tack locker since none were going to be supplied and I didn't have a tack trunk. I actually like it better than most tack lockers I've seen at barns too.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01555132xWCPfc
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01555132LwFaEs

My barn has them, and they're great but I wish they were bigger! There're two sets stacked on top of each other, and you can comfortably fit one saddle and a tack box in one. I have two saddles and stack them on top of each other somehow, (as well as 5 saddle pads) and every time I go into my locker I basically have to take everything out to get something. It's very annoying, but at least nothing disappears!

Have been at barns that have them and some that don't.

1. My favorite set up was the big double lockers that hold 2 saddles and everything you own. Fabulous. For the younger set with less stuff or those with only one saddle there were single lockers in a tack room. School horse tack kept in a convenient separate tack room with no lockers, saddles and bridles on the wall. Great privacy, things walk away a lot less often, no cats or dogs scratching saddles.

2. One barn had tack lockers that was a corner cut out from the stall--so annoying. It opens outside in the aisle so the sliding door of the stall would block the tack locker door and it was very inconvenient.

3. Another barn had tack stalls that opened INTO the horse's stalls--I did not like this either--the latch sticking out in the stall seemed like a safety hazard.

4. Current barn has no lockers, 4 tack rooms with saddle and bridle racks on all the walls. You better have a big trunk. I would rather have a locker, but I like it better than 2 and 3.

My barn has them in the superfancy newer barn attatched to the new arena (ok, well, these aren't new but they're new compared to the rest of the barn. the new arena and barn on the side was built in 2004) and theyre solid wood built in. Theyre VERY big and spacious. I dont have the $$ to board my pony in the new part of the barn, but I get along just fine in the other barn. I have a tack trunk, a laundry basket, and a rubbermaid bin for my coolers, clean saddle pads, girths, and martingale. (i dont like hanging girth on top of saddle and dont like hanging martingale with bridle. i know, i don't make sense. but it's annoying for some reason haah)

Actually, I like the barn i'm in right now because no one locks their trunks, so I don't either. We can leave our stuff open and no one will take anything. I don't think anyone takes anything in the newer built barn except that all the lockers do have locks on them, so I dunno. I only lock my trunk when I take it to a show. *shrug* I mean, I kinda wish i had a nice big locker because it is very convenient for every-day things and such, and it would make life easier for show packing (i hate digging through my trunk deciding what I can leave behind, which I will put in the rubbermaid bin, where my pads generally go, etc.)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

at my barn we have full sized ones that are nice and roomy. I keep everything in mine! bridles (4), tons of bits, all grooming stuff, bathing stuff, paddock boots, half chaps, extra boots, extra chaps, extra breeches, usually a few pairs of tall boot socks, 2 helmets, halters, 2 girths, saddle pads, and probably other stuff that I can't think of. And amazingly all of it is hung up/in a container and organized!

Oh I love my locker!! I have a tack trunk too, and let me tell ya.. my daily question to myself is "Where did I get so much stuff!??!" Our lockers are 4' tall and probably about 2' wide and maybe 3'-ish deep.. not as big as some of you are talking about (thank God, otherwise my stuff would probably reproduce again. Like rabbits!). I keep practically everything in there though.. bridles, my saddle, pads, med kit, clippers, the pharmacy, the grocery store... lol

The last two barns I've been at have lockers, and so does the barn I haul into for lesson. I love having a locker (about 6' high, 30" deep, 30" wide) which easily stores all my everyday stuff. I keep my saddle, a couple pads, two schooling bridles, martingale, boots, wraps, grooming bucket, wash bucket, and first aid stuff in there. I also have a trunk with show specific stuff in it and a foot locker with off season stuff. I've been at barns with the open tack room style and didn't particularly care for it, seemed too easy for gear to walk away.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin