The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which length whip do you carry?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 110 cm / 43 in whip

24 64.86%
  • 120 cm / 47.2 in whip

13 35.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do you carry a 110 cm whip or 120? Why?

I'm about to go whip shopping so I wanted to know if the length of the whip really makes a difference. I'm ride several horses, from 15 hands and up, so I'm looking for a whip to be used with anybody. I know to factor in the grip type, and the flexibility, but I want to make I'm getting the right length, and since I can't bring my horse to the tack shop, I can't tell which length is more comfortable.

Is a 47.2" whip ever too big for a horse? Is there any reason *not* to get a 47.2", provided your horse isn't whip shy?

I use the shorter whip, in large part because that was the legal size. I didn't want to have anything different on show day.

Interestingly, if you watch the Carl Hester Master Class (google it), he does not train ANY horses with a whip consistently. Of course, he also admits to mostly having hot horses.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I carry the shorter whip only because they haven't fallen apart yet and I didn't feel like buying all new whips just because the legal length changed to longer (but I do still have some of the old 120s somewhere).

I like "Fleck" brand whips. They are like a fine instrument that you can have a lighter touch with. http://www.fleck-co.de/produkte/e_reitgerten.html

I don't see any 120sm whips in the local tack shops, so my whip was originally 110sm. Now it’s even shorter since I took off the whisk end - those have a whiplash and sting horses when whip is used. I mostly use my whip in the rhythm of the footfalls to encourage continues activity - so I'm interested in "tapping" it more than "whacking". I also like this kind of whip ends: http://www.fleck-co.de/produkte/e_dressur3.html
    Last edited by Dressage Art; Aug. 2, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

I like longer whips because I have to move my hand less to use them.

I always thought the shorter rule was stupid. If your intention is to beat your horse w/the whip, you can do it no matter how short/long the whip is
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Mine are all longer as my horse is big and has a long back. With the short whips I have to move my hand out of position to use my whip if my horse is bent to the opposite side of the whip. My new favorite whip is the Fleck soft-touch whip. The end has a padded tube of leather instead of a lash. It makes more noise and has a solid touch but it doesn't sting unless you use it really hard. (I tried it out on myself first of course.)

Shorter.
    Don't want to risk taking a too long whip into Eventing dressage.

Also never felt a need for a longer one.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The only time that I use the very long whip (even longer than 120sm) when I work on the half steps, then I can touch the hind legs of my mare. Also no whisk at the end. I also use "Fleck" brand very long whip that more resembles a bamboo, than a whip, since I don’t want my horse have ANY discomfort doing half steps – I try to make them fun with slight “tapping”, rather than drilling with constant "whacking".

I have a couple different lengths of whips. I use whichever one fits best.

it depends on the size of the horse I am riding
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

As Rudy Rostek of the SRS said at a clinic: "Why are you American riders training with a short whip?" His point was you often need the longer whips for training. I use one of the new SRS 130 cm whips on my longer backed warmblood. Allows one to touch the hind legs, if needed, without much hand movement.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

that works out lovely when you train your own horse from cradle to grave. when someone else teaches the horse to be scared to death of the whip, it works out a little better to use a short whip sometimes. Too, if the horse is a big mover with a lot of engine, the rider might not have the steadiest hands, a shorter whip is easier to control.

I ride with a 120 at home. I prefer the Superflex Fleck. However, I use a 110 in the ring, just because I don't want it to be measured over.

I have a Morgan who is not so big, and the shorter whip is just fine for its primary use, which is flicking flies off him . It is also fine for tapping behind my leg when he decides to blow off the leg aid.

When I ride larger horses (17 handers) I do like a longer stick.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    that works out lovely when you train your own horse from cradle to grave. when someone else teaches the horse to be scared to death of the whip, it works out a little better to use a short whip sometimes. Too, if the horse is a big mover with a lot of engine, the rider might not have the steadiest hands, a shorter whip is easier to control.
    Ah yes, this reminds me of selling horses..

me screaming "DROP THE WHIP! DROP IT ! DROP IT!!!!"

as they whack my horse unintentionally..

Just remembering those things makes me need a cocktail!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Is there a reason to need a cocktail? I mean, really.

Seriously, I was once told, by someone who I consider to be a pompous ass, that carrying a whip is like carrying your sabre into battle; it is just DONE! I have several lengths of whips in the barn, but generally, I carry something longer, and with better "feel". If I need to whack 'em, I don't want to touch their mouth, and I want to get the appropriate area in gear...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I like to get inexpensive whips in multiple lengths = ) I honestly feel that even a 42" whip is too long on my appy, but he's a short backed horse and very forward anyway. I like a 39" on him. However, on bigger horses, a 42" or perhaps even a 47" feels best. It totally depends on the horse.

And there is DEFINITELY a reason to need a cocktail with some of the riders that come in to ride sale horses... YIKES! They want a big moving warmblood, and they swear they ride at FEI. Then Mr. Big WB starts trotting, and a look of sheer terror spreads across FEI Ammy's face. Hands and butt start bouncing in unison and then the crop and spurs get in on the action too, haha. Poor Mr. Big WB can't understand what the heck is going on up there and may produce a buck before you can get FEI Ammy to drop her crop, take off her spurs, stick to the posting trot or maybe just the walk... Then FEI Ammy may proceed to tell you that this horse clearly does not have the talent for FEI because his trot just is NOT big enough and that you've wasted her time and should reimburse her for her flight, hahahaa.

Selling horses often requires MULTIPLE cocktails, haha.

ROFL... Love the word picture....
    I prefer the balance of the whip over the length as a determining factor but honestly I do not know the brands of the whips I have now...I buy all at Dressage at Devon usually from the vendors there each year. Gloves, whips, stuff like that.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

The shorter, mainly because I still haven't figured out how to carry it properly and not inadvertently tap my horse on occasion.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Wink

I try to ride without a whip and do so increasingly- as I really believe in Carl Hester's philsophy of truly forward/in front of the leg horses- that never lag and never are allowed to lag- thus reserving the whip for special work- like some Pi/Pa and corrections...

so in essence the whip length doesn't really matter...!~
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman