The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need foster care near Delaware Park for CANTER horse

Hi all,

There is a horse in need at Delaware Park that needs to be removed from the track immediately.

http://www.canterusa.org/midatlantic...ngs_depark.htm

The horse is "Here Comes Sydney".

Unfortunately the situation is complicated by the fact that he has recently bowed a tendon, on top of an old bow on the other leg. So he will need stall rest, or perhaps turnout in a small paddock. We are arranging to work within CANTER to support him; one of the volunteers, who also works at the track, is willing to sponsor him, and I want to pitch in as well. CANTER doesn't have the facilities right now to take him in, so we are trying to find a private facility that can take him. If anyone knows an affordable, responsible place relatively close to Delaware Park, please let me know. Or if anyone wants to donate to his care, let me know and I will provide the information. Hopefully we can find him a place to rehab, and after that we think we have a home for him.

Thanks!
    Melanie
    Canter Volunteer

I have a pasture that's not being used right now but it's not a small paddock. You could run electric closer to the shed, there's no stall. If someone wanted to rent the barn I would donate the rent money back as a donation.

You can use it for a month or two. I'm very close to Fair Hill. Will someone be working with him regularly, I only feed in the pasture 1 X daily. My board for that pasture is $250 a month or renting the pasture for $250 for 2-3 horses. I would donate that money to CANTER but would want a tax deductable receipt. If you only want to turn him out till you can find another place that would be fine too, no charge, maybe for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Hi all,

There is a horse in need at Delaware Park that needs to be removed from the track immediately.

http://www.canterusa.org/midatlantic...ngs_depark.htm

The horse is "Here Comes Sydney".

Unfortunately the situation is complicated by the fact that he has recently bowed a tendon, on top of an old bow on the other leg. So he will need stall rest, or perhaps turnout in a small paddock. We are arranging to work within CANTER to support him; one of the volunteers, who also works at the track, is willing to sponsor him, and I want to pitch in as well. CANTER doesn't have the facilities right now to take him in, so we are trying to find a private facility that can take him. If anyone knows an affordable, responsible place relatively close to Delaware Park, please let me know. Or if anyone wants to donate to his care, let me know and I will provide the information. Hopefully we can find him a place to rehab, and after that we think we have a home for him.

Thanks!
    Melanie
    Canter Volunteer

Sent you a PM.

kcmel is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks guys. I am going to try to find out more about the status of the horse, what care he will require, etc. And we are still trying to see if we are going to be able to work with CANTER on this. I will know more later.