The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default squeaky saddle

My saddle has recently started squeaking, and it's driving me crazy.

It's about three years old if I remember correctly, and I bought it a year ago. The previous owner told me she had been lightly wiping it down after each ride with a little saddle soap, and occasionally oiling it. It looked fantastic, so I kept this up and it worked great until a month or two ago. Then the squeaking came. I've oiled it about three or four times in the same number of weeks, and it hasn't helped for more than a little while. It's definitely the leather, I isolated the squeaking to being related to that buckle guard flap thing and the inside of the flaps. You can make a little squeak with just your finger on the sweat flap inside.

Is there anything I can do to make this stop??? I'm assuming it means there's something not right with the way I've been treating the leather.

My western riding friends use baby powder to minimize squeaks. I've never tried it, but they swear by it!

one more try... I can't be the only person out there with a squeaky saddle!

Might try the baby powder if I can't find anything else - I'd be afraid it would get gunky.

My saddle starts squeaking when it needs to be oiled. Did you try oiling your saddle?

I hate to tell you this but the new little squeak from my saddle turned out to be a broken rivet on the tree. No other real signs anything was wrong except the funny squeak. An experienced saddle fitter picked it up right away.

I have had a bit of the same issue with my BRAND new Amerigo. I oiled it and the squeaking stopped for a little while. I tried the baby powder (which doesn't gunk up - shook liberally under flap adjacent to stirrup bar where squeaking is originating from) and again squeaking stops for a while but has returned (albeit less intensely.) I know my tree is in perfect condition. I suggest trying the baby powder and then waiting a few days to see how it is. If it still squeaks really loudly, I would have the tree looked at.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Thanks guys!

I have oiled it very frequently since the squeaking started, and it helps for a little while and then returns.

I definitely worried about the tree, but I'm pretty sure the squeaking is only the inside of the flaps and billet guard. If I hold those apart and move the seat around on a solid saddle stand, no squeak; if I just move the flaps when they are together, it squeaks. And even if I just sort of skid my fingers along the inner flap leather, it squeaks a little bit, even immediately after oiling.

The finger-on-leather squeak was what made me wonder if I wasn't treating the leather right. Maybe a build up of the glycerin soap?

I will probably be having a saddle fitter out in a bit to add some stuffing, though, so will have her look at it then.