The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mini horse or mini donk?

Yup, this has been discussed before! But...farmette on parent's property is nearing completion! It will have very limited turnout---I own ONE horse right now, who is boarded here with me, 2 hrs. away. The farmette will have 2 stalls, a 24x 12 run in that will open into a sacrifice area, a small adjacent grass paddock, a larger grass 'dressage' arena to double for turnout, and a second larger size turnout on grass.
    My thoughts right now, are to begin to scan the ads for a mini or a mini donk...and to 'wait' for the 'right' one....( as in, happy to live alone, but also of a very laid back temperament, since he/she would live there alone where my mom now lives, but be 'company' for my gelding while/when he visits.)
    The farmette will be 'permanent' horse keeping when I move there later...but for now would be for frequent visits and stays.
    A goat just doesn't seem to be the best fit for a lot of reasons, so I've decided on a mini or a mini donk. I've designed the fencing to be mini accomodating....
    Experiences? Opinions?
    TIA
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I have had donkeys for over twenty years and from my experience, they are such sociable creatures that a donkey would be very lonely and bored without a buddy. They also form very strong bonds, so if your horse was coming and going, it would be stressful for a mini donk. And a mini horse might be the same, too. So how about one of each? :-)

Are you by chance in Texas? I know of someone with two mini-donks (one Jack and one jenny) that need a new home. They are the sweetest little things but the lady that has them is having some serious health issues.

Mini donkeys of course, they are friendly, sociable, smart, funny creatures. But you need two of them. So healthy and eat almost nothing, might as well have two! Have them broken to cart so your mom can have fun!

Definitely a donkey! They are so much smarter than ponies/horses. Go read the Full size horse living with minis thread. It’s full of horror stories about mini horses getting kicked in the head and ending up dead. For some reason there are no such stories that involve donkeys...

They are very (very) sensible & you won't believe just how affectionate they can be.
    Last edited by Creaghgal; Aug. 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

SIGH! --sickofcollege...I'm in Virginia!
    And, I do appreciate everyone's insights into 'two' being best. I do understand that, really (!) But, I'm in a situation of: I can haul my horse down for lots of visits and have HIM stress alone...or I can have one lil' guy there with lots of love from Grandma---but not two.
    I've known horses who are very content alone. My guy is NOT one of them. I was hoping to find one 'of them' in the little size, so not so much work on my mom, and not so much stress on the 'area' which is limited.
    Eventually, years down the road, we'll have two grown, rideable horses there, and hopefully, one little friend. Now, unfortunately, is not the time for two there full time. Which was why I was trying to feel out what might be best alone most of the time.
    Maybe it just can't be?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

We just got a mini horse as a companion for my competition horse, and I am SOOO glad I did. He is perfect. He is fine when my horse leaves, and would probably be fine without another horse there all the time. He is the cutest, sweetest thing ever! I can't be happier with him. I have clients who also have mini horses and are very happy with them....besides trying to keep the weight off them!