The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff*** Flat class pet peeves

So, in lieu of all the flat class posts... what are your biggest pet peeves of a flat class?? Mine is FOR SURE (this happens more at open shows than A shows) but someone who parks themselves in front of you at a trot or canter and then SLOWS DOWN!!! I hate this. Or, I also hate someone who consistantly rides to your inside, especially when the judge is in the middle. I dont mind passing people or whatnot, but in order to get around this person you have to alter your horses gait, which is what you DONT want to do in a flat class. Generally, I LOVE flat classes (ha mostly cause i have always had the not so well moving horse and my new mare actually moves quite well, so winning or even picking up a ribbon in the flat is this new and bright and shiny experience for me!) but these kind of people make it not quite so much fun. What are your petpeeves?

The trainer who (loudly) rides the horse by remote control from the rail. Then bitches about the judging, just as loudly.

The adult who *gets mad and yells at her horse* coming into the line up and then gets pinned ahead of my pleasant one. I'm not sure who was the better mover or the prettier horse, but if the rider needs to get made at the hunter on the flat, that's not the horse you'd like to chase after some hounds for 3 hours on a Sunday.

Yes, I suppose some of my self-righteous jealousy should be directed toward the judge. But who yells at their horse in the ring at the end of a flat class? Even if he needs a correction why bother to make in the last 15 seconds of a class and with anger... and in front of God and everybody?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My most recent experience that is a peeve of mine is when you're passing someone on the rail with good distance, and someone comes around you (thus boxing you in almost with a horse on each side) and then promptly decides to cut you off(and usually the person on the rail as well) making you have to pull up on your horse. This always happens to me RIGHT in front of the judge too when my horse is going great. I just think thats rude. Look behind you and check for space. I always do that before I take a spot on the rail to make sure I have enough space for the rider/horse behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvyFilly View Post
    My most recent experience that is a peeve of mine is when you're passing someone on the rail with good distance, and someone comes around you (thus boxing you in almost with a horse on each side) and then promptly decides to cut you off(and usually the person on the rail as well) making you have to pull up on your horse. This always happens to me RIGHT in front of the judge too when my horse is going great. I just think thats rude. Look behind you and check for space. I always do that before I take a spot on the rail to make sure I have enough space for the rider/horse behind me.
    That is no accident That's called someone making you look bad right in front of the judge to knock you out

I have several, The freight train that runs right up your horses butt! You know the one puffing tank that they call a horse, that rides right up behind you and has the horse puffing and snorting on your horses butt until your horse starts pulling his head up and puffing trying to take off? Then they politely pass you at which point your horse thinks it would be fun to follow? Yeah that one.

The people who pass you so close you could stick out your pinky on your reins and touch them. As they pass you and your horse snarls so they yell at you.

My old horse who would get a beautiful long trot going and decide to break into a canter when the judge was looking at you (I was younger I realize it was my fault to but what a disappointment)

In an open show with western riders. That warm up ring is scarier then any hunter hack or jumper warm-up ring. and while this doesn't happen in the ring it still drives me nuts.........The riders who cut you off at a lope because your jogging....they then proceed to slam on the breaks and RUN back wards with out looking as a way to punish their horse. holy scary! Also at western shows. The girls who are mad they didn't get a ribbon (and even those who did but are still mad?) They spend the time while everyone is exiting the ring to get their ribbons... loping, stopping, running backwards, rinse repeat....(and the running backwards is considered "backing"

My pet peeve? My horse refuses to walk when he is supposed to!

When I showed many moons ago it was being boxed in! I remember at one show (not rated, but open), my mare and I had been doing quite well in all the flat classes and winning most or being pinned. It was a particularly good day and there was one person who kept boxing me in and finally I said something to her as she passed, not mean, but it did cure the problem.....as she knew I knew what she was doing.

In addition to "bad driver syndrome" as stated above, I hate when the ring is small and they don't take the outside lines down. You have to weave and wiggle around all the jumps and you never get a nice long line to show off your horse.

My pet peeves in a flat class:

A sloppy lineup

Being deliberately cutoff

People who cluck

Riders who pass to closely with unfriendly horses

People that race into the lineup

Waiting in the lineup forever for results
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

When I did hunters I rode a big mover with a big stride. She really covered ground during the hack. Therefore, my biggest pet peeve was: after having successfully maneuvered myself into a nice big open space where I could really let my mare move out and show off, the stupid inconsiderate judge would call walk and reverse so I was promptly right back behind all of the horses I just passed.

When I cut across the ring to get away from a crowd, someone else in the crowd does the exact same thing.

Being near the horse that is misbehaving.

When a horse won't stand still in the line-up...oh wait that is usually my horse that won't stand still.

My two biggest pet peeves would have to be the horse that always has its ears pinned and tries to bite every horse that passes winning. Also, when the horse is over framed in and U/S class and wins. U/S classes are supposed to be about you and the horse being relaxed with a relaxed neck and rein. Therefore a pissy horse probably is not relaxed, and a horse that is over framed is definitely not relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Serah View Post
    My pet peeves in a flat class:

People who cluck

I dont like this either! As I stated earlier, I already have enough trouble trying to get my pony to walk. Its even more difficult when I am surrounded by cluckers, and my pony thinks its me every time!

PEOPLE WHO SEE-SAW THEIR HORSES FACES!! It does not work and it is hideous. If you want your horse on the bit, learn to do it properly and not by wagging their head so they have no other choice but hide from the bit.

People who ride their lame horses but say its 'off balance because it's green?' Okay then, whatever you say

I can not stand it when riders enter their spazoid horses and expect it to become suddenly perfect in the show ring... too many times I have heard "Riders please walk" when some idoit thinks that even though their horse bucks and bolts at home it won't do it at the show ring and for some odd reason when its time to canter, it bucks and bolts! ... often their ignorance can lead to riders and horses getting hurt and ruining the showing experience for everyone...

Barking dogs. Big barking dogs. I love dogs, I have them myself and they do bark. But when horses like my own, who are afraid of barking dogs, see a barking dog... it does not end well.

On the horse with a lovely (if somewhat big) canter transition and canter I try to get all alone, near the judges line of sight at the end of the trot. Just as the call is make to walk, the (choose from one of the following) a. lost child on pony who has been circling or b. overmounted woman on the bucking dressage type warmblood or c. girl on a schoolie with big spurs and a kimberwicke suddenly take either the track right in front of me or between me and the judge. They are sure to not only prevent my horse from showing off his great transition and gait, but will crowd him and possibly kick him in the process. At least one of them will then pin in front of me because horse will have been forced to take at least 3 trot steps to avoid armaggedon.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

In the lineup when I have carefully positioned my horse as far away as possible from the mare in heat he's been reacting to all day (not a stallion; just ambitious) - and since the mare is fussy and won't stand still, the rider decides to move her down to the other end, right next to me again.
    Incredible Invisible

Here are mine:

When my firecracker-type mare decides that when we all come down to a walk, that it isn't exciting enough and decides to make a lovely jig for the judge

Loud trainers who give directions to their students from across the ring

When people get so close to the wall their stirrups clang against it

Capable adults competing against children

The folks who ride their horses 2 inches behind the one with a red ribbon in his tail :rollseyes:

I understand. Been there, done that. Had trainers tell their riders to block me in because I was the favorite from other hacks. Some big hack classes, I feel like Mike Smith (jockey) waiting to make a break in a pack at the Santa Anita Classic to the finish line, lol. In big classes, my head is spining around to see who is behind and can I position myself on the quarter line for my 5 secs in front of the judge only to have some dumb blood in front of me going no where, screwing my chance to get into position.

People that go RIGHT down the middle of the long side of the ring, trying to show off their good mover.

It's awkward.

People who try and pass between you and the wall when there really isn't any room.
    People running up RIGHT behind you.

When the person in front of me goes deep into every corner, even though there is no one in front of him. That is my only chance to create a little space between us!