The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tell me why I have this damn farm again?

Heatwave- I'd rather sit by the pool and drink beer.

So what I did today.

-Moved 2 tons of hay from the lower barn to the upper barn, by pickup.
    -Made about 14 200 ft trips through brambles and killer trees up and down the embankment to the creek, trying to get the creek well pump working again, so I could irrigate the top pasture. (I also fell in the creek once during this- that part wasn't so bad)
    -Emptied and scrubbed out 4 500 gallon mosquito hotels aka water tanks.
    -Replaced the fence post that Zach the wunderpony had ripped out of the ground on his desperate flight to freedom this morning to across the farm lane (a whole 20 feet)to visit his buddy's paddock
    -Spent an hour or so rerunning the electric wire in one of the mare's paddock- the electroproof horse who chews on live electric and rips it all off the posts when she's bored. Obviously I'm just as bored, I keep putting it back up.
    -Chased the yard goat around for 45 mins until he gave up and surrendered to the indignity of being put back in his pen.
    -Washed the blood off the cat while evading claws and teeth- lordy knows what the hell he picked a fight with this time.
    -Spent a while staring at a tractor tire and wondering where the jack was before I remembered it's last stowawayed safely place and then got that changed.
    -picked an interesting variety of burrs and tree parts off the dogs and myself before we all could come into the house.
    -I then took a massive slip slide across the laminate floor, which was soaking wet courtesy of the kids who'd been running in and out of the kitchen from the pool while I was pretending to fix stuff all day.

Whoever says farm life is boring obviously has never been to my house

then I went to the pool with my beer and ordered pizza- no way I'm cooking today.
    phew!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

I'm beginning to wonder too! Just got back from a mini-vacation to Charleston, SC where I sat around in a beautiful home, ate fabulous meals, just did absolutely nothing.
    Then....yesterday I came home to find my filly with diarrhea. Tonight I thought she was colicing. Now she seems okay. Is nursing, munching some T&A. Hate this part of it. Love the wonderful horses, farm life normally. Just hate the ill horse part...
    Also hate this hot hot hot weather. Wears me out.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thanks for sharing your "day in the life." I really enjoyed that - ummm, especially the beer!

You have a pool? We just have the farm part and accompanying chores. I am really envious!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'm with you on the heat wave thing! We have a record now of 10 days above 90, and counting. The barn where my poor horse is boarded registered a temperature of 112 on Wednesday!!! Zoiks, that's hot! And now, the humidity is picking back up and thunderstorms on are the way. Forest fire weather approacheth....

Today, I picked paddocks, swept the barn aisle and filled the water trough--all before 7 AM, trying to beat the heat. Mr. CC and I picked the last of our blueberries, then I went for a run (middle age demands constant exercise--and I'm losing the battle!), came home and made blueberry muffins. Then my MIL and I went across the county to pick up my horse trailer from the repair shop. By this time, it was 90 degrees.

Picked more paddocks, moved fans, fed and watered horses.

Drove across the county again to go ride my horse, but honestly, it was 94 degrees, so we sweated while working at the walk and called it a day.

Came home and watered the garden, picked zucchini to feed to the chickens, picked paddocks, watered and fed horses. Hopped on the tractor and mowed weeds and brush hogged a paddock.

Finally, as it was getting dark, and still above 80, I had to hitch my trailer back up, that Mr. CC had gotten stuck in a bad, bad spot as he tried to turn it around so he could unhitch and use the truck...and move it to a spot where I can wash it tomorrow. Along with the bajillion blankets that need to be scrubbed....I love my farm!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Oh, that was a funny post, especially the slip n' slide on the kitchen floor. I can see that happening here. You should write a book, not that you have time.

What's up with all the hot weather? We barely made 70 today, and there was a cool wind. Not breeze, wind. In fact, we haven't had many days in the 80's this summer. I had a light sweatshirt on all day.

This is exactly why I only have two horses (stupidly looking for #3), NO goat, desite my son's pleas, no chickens although I would like to, do not bother with running, would only attempt to wash the cat from a distance (think power hose), have two longer haired dogs to maintain and one low maintenance short haired dog--oh wait, he rolled in some stinkbutt cow crap yesterday but I threw him in the shower with my husband--, and yet I am always horribly busy too.

It's so nice to hear other people are on the brink of insanity as well.

My typical Saturday plus some extra excitement... and I don't even own or live on the farm!

- up before 7, but lay in bed because my back needs fixed again.
    - dressed, ate, drove 33 miles to the barn
    - helped finish feeding and watered horses with broken waterers
    - brought my horse in to attempt to put the recently found iceboot on his swollen hind leg.
    - got put on and ice down it. Horse chucks off boot while I run outside to give one of the mom's money to buy more ice.
    - trainer puts a lip chain on him and puts the boot back on
    - horse has total meltdown
    - nice mom with ice returns and I start putting it in the boot.
    - meltdown #2. One muck bucket casualty. No more icing.
    - give jerkface his bute and SMZ.
    - start cleaning some stalls while lessons begin.
    - watch children tackle dog to ground for bath.
    - lunch. Thank god.
    - clean Charlie's stall and lunge him a good bit.
    - tack him up and lunge some more.
    - get on him on with trainer lunging. Charlie is a stubborn-butt with issues about going forward. Charlie likes to hit the brakes. A lot. I eventually get off so trainer can administer some discipline to the horse without me getting dirt down my jods.
    - hose of Charlie and put him away.
    - get my horse out to walk and job him bareback. Helped bring down the swelling more. Made me feel better.
    - lunged a younger kid for a bit.
    - went home, dropping off another kid on the way.

I came home and slept for over 2 hours after dinner.

Why do I do this again?
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

All I will add is that anyone that uses hot wire to keep animals in or out deserves what happens to them.
    Hot wire is fine on top of some kind of permanent fence, no matter how wimpy, but selfstanding, that is for masochists.

We had cattle behind hot wire and spent all the time fixing the wire, when the wind blew, when it was dry, wet, icy, all the time the wire had some excuse not to work, adding that antilope and deer don't respect it at all, they seem insulated to electricity, never saw them back off any hot wire, they walk thru it like it is not there.

We just went thru two weeks of 100+, had two weeks of storms and are back to more 100+ from today on.

I need to look into that pool thing...

Around my farm it is the never ending battle with grass...mowing it. Weeds too. Something on this 26 acre farm always needs mowed. We have had 90%humidity and highs in the 90's with heat indices in the 100's..and sitting on a hot tractor mowing in that heat ain't no fun at all.

Last night after chores, we brought in two suckling fillies and I trimmed them. I have to do six horses a week here on my farm to keep up with the 38 or so horses here that I trim. UGH...you could have wrung out my shirt after that. I sweat profusely anytime I pick up my farrier tools. I had trimmed at another barn earlier in the day too so it was a lot of trims in the heat.

Then the last week we had a tractor trailer load of hay to unload. My working student and I did about 60 bales a day of the 500 or so squares left in there that we did not sell out of the trailer...UGH...It is HOT inside that metal box.

I swear I will never complain about the cold again. I'm so finished with hot muggy days.

I WANT A POOL! WAAAHHH!!!

Sure could have used it yesterday after cleaning out the hay barn...moving all those pallets and getting the hay leavings into the manure spreader and dumped into the compost pile, then sweeping and cobwebbing...you'd think I'd lose a pound or 2 by sweating it off but no, I'm still "voluptuous"

DDB, I live not far from you (up 460)...I'm always mowing too. I've got a huge selection of mowing equipment. And weedwhacking fencelines. No drought here...we had one little dry spell but lately it's been plenty rainy.
    Raining again now actually, otherwise I'd be out there mowing.

Always dumping and scrubbing water tubs. Why is it that the horses have to gargle? I've asked them to please spit on the ground beside the trough, but no...they can't seem to do that.

And the dog kennels...grass grows faster in there than anywhere on the farm...and don't cha know it's ALWAYS a good idea to pick up the dog poo before mowing the dog pens! Hubby thought it would be easier to mow first then pick up poo. Betcha he doesn't do THAT again!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I need to look into that pool thing...
    Don't bother, unless you have kids, and even then, it is just one more thing that YOU will have to care for. Adding chemicals, scrubbing algae spots if you are a few days late with the chemicals, skimming, or the crap that settles to the bottom makes more algae. Even with the automatic vacuum thingee, stuff manages to elude it. Fixing the vacuum thingee when it breaks. Backwashing the filter. . . and then add in the increase in your electric bill to run the filter every day.

And after a long day of farm chores, I am to damned tired to change into my suit to enjoy the pool anyway.

Something is wrong with this picture, and I think it is me!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    Heatwave- I'd rather sit by the pool and drink beer.

So what I did today.

-Moved 2 tons of hay from the lower barn to the upper barn, by pickup.
    LOL, I feel for you and can relate. Only my neighbors are the ones with the pool, who do only the "normal" summer things on weekends. I often amuse myself guessing their thoughts as they lounge around in bathing suits watching me sweat my tail off wrestling wheel barrows & the like. Then in the winter, I picture them peering out from their cozy house windows at me crouching by the frozen hydrant aiming a hair drier on it, getting soaked in the freezing rain. They truly must think I'm insane!

But you could look at it this way - you definitely burned more calories than those pool loungers, and earned that beer too!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    Don't bother, unless you have kids, and even then, it is just one more thing that YOU will have to care for. Adding chemicals, scrubbing algae spots if you are a few days late with the chemicals, skimming, or the crap that settles to the bottom makes more algae. Even with the automatic vacuum thingee, stuff manages to elude it. Fixing the vacuum thingee when it breaks. Backwashing the filter. . . and then add in the increase in your electric bill to run the filter every day.

And after a long day of farm chores, I am to damned tired to change into my suit to enjoy the pool anyway.

Something is wrong with this picture, and I think it is me!
    Ugh, I beleive I will go soak in the 30' windmill tank, if I want to feel like being in a pool.
    Much less work.
    To clean it, we unscrew the 2" drain regularly, let it run out, screw it back on and let it refill.

Since we finally had some rains, now the weeds are growing while they can.
    The trouble is that rattlers hide in them, so you have to be careful mowing pens and around buildings with the little mower, not to make those too mad.

Around here, we like winter best... in the summer and summer best... in the winter.
    Somehow, we just can 't be happy, can't we.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    All I will add is that anyone that uses hot wire to keep animals in or out deserves what happens to them.
    Hot wire is fine on top of some kind of permanent fence, no matter how wimpy, but selfstanding, that is for masochists.
    Oh its not stand alone, trust me I went through that battle for awhile and then put in permanent fencing. This mare is a nut bar, she strips off the electric wire, and then happily runs around her paddock dragging it behind her. Apparently its the thing to do. hehe.

the pool is new, we only put it in last year, but we put in a saltwater pool, much less work then the pool we used to have at our old place years ago.
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder too! Just got back from a mini-vacation to Charleston, SC where I sat around in a beautiful home, ate fabulous meals, just did absolutely nothing.
    Yeh, but ... WHAT do city people have to TALK about ???
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Yeh, but ... WHAT do city people have to TALK about ???
    LOL - sometimes they talk about us. It goes something like this:

"I work with this crazy woman that has 3 horses at home, and before she comes to work in the morning, she removes 150 pounds of manure from the stalls!"

"Did you hear about MM's ambulance ride? She got hit in the head with a horse trailer ramp!"

I guess the rest of the time they talk about their kids, the stock market, the cost of lawn weed killer. . . who the heck knows?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    LOL - sometimes they talk about us. It goes something like this:

... horse trailer ramp ....
    they can't put those 3 words together in a sentence in the proper order!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    they can't put those 3 words together in a sentence in the proper order!
    You are probably right, but the woman that was telling my co-workers about my latest misadventure in a work meeting the day after it happened used to have horses. I did have to expand on the definition when re-telling the story to my city friends.

all I know is, I work with geeks, (I'm a geek too, but a geek with a farm)
    I used to get some seriously odd looks at work.

I realized they are wayyy too used to my farm ways now when the other day my boss is talking to me and at the same time I realize he'd absently pulled a piece of hay from my ponytail. (His idea of a farm is a lawn thats slightly bigger then a postage stamp)

Boss looked at me, I laughed and he kinda blinked and said something the effect he'd better stay in his own damn office or next thing he'd be wondering how exactly one 'mucked' out a barn.

All great stories!

Clearly, we all have farms specifically so that we can collect these "day in the life" stories to share with friends, family, coworkers, casual acquaintances and complete strangers on the Internet. I've had easy days lately, with nothing more exciting than some fence repairs and a yellow-jacket nest (that fortunately, the dog found before I hit it with the lawnmower!).
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus