The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Cross country and stadium boots question?!

I've gone to everyone looking for answers... but not finding any.

I have a lovely OTTB who I am eventing and he is doing great. I'm moving beyond the mini events and I want to try another rated horse trial. Currently, I'm riding him xc with regular gallop boots in the front and stadium with leather jumping boots in the front as well. The problem is, my horse's left lower hind leg has a huge scar and is covered in scar tissue which makes it look like something found in Frankenstein's lab No gallop boots fit and the ones that do move around are uncomfortable for him. I polo wrap the back when I'm flatting and jumping at home but I'm worried he's going to need back boots when jumping bigger jumps at shows.

Is there even such thing as custom boots?! Or am I SOL? I will take a picture of his crazy leg. I really don't want to spend money on custom boots because they will end up trashed (we went through two sets of 'un-rippable bell boots in a week... ) and also his scar tissue has gone down from what it used to be in the past five years I've owned him. I'm hoping it will just be a scar in the future but who knows?!

So what's your advice!! And sorry for the novel!!

Are you confident enough in your wrapping abilities to use saratogas and porters? Ive never used them personally, but as far as I know they are the only truly customizable protection for horses with really weird shaped legs. You can cut the porters to fit, since it seems both back legs are probably different in shape.

I the Porter/Saratoga option is probably your best bet. You can cut them to size (the Porter part, which is basically just shaped foam) and practice a lot with the wraps to get them to fit "just right".
    Click here before you buy.

I'm confident lol
    So what are those and where can I buy them?

Try Bit of Britain. Porters are foam that's shaped roughly to the horse's legs, held on with the Saratoga bandages, which are wraps made of a rubbery/stretchy material that will not absorb or hold water. If you're competent wrapping legs, they're not difficult to use and can be custom fit to each leg. You can use them over and over, and they're not all that expensive.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks everyone!!! I'm happy there is something that will work! Should I buy for all four so it doesnt look weird just being on the back?? And I found photos of his leg...
    http://yfrog.com/b155281379728090966386240cj

No reason to do all four with Porters and Saratogas unless you have to....it won't look wierd to have front boots and hind P&S .
    Definately, they are the way to go with that scar tissue. The porters do a pretty good job of protecting for steeplechase horses.

Make sure you put Tubi Grip under the Porters to help prevent rubs.
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Tubi_Grip_p/9417.htm
    Here are the Saratoga wraps
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Saratoga...ges_p/0036.htm
    Here are the Porters. Don't cut them till you are SURE you have them fitting just right. Ask me how I know...
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Porter_L...ors_p/0040.htm

Thank you! How would I fit them?