The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blanket ideas

I live in the PNW and fight all kinds of weather issues in the winter. in the past two years, i have used rubbermade tubs to hold my blankets. however, these tubs are cumbersome, and its challenging to say the least to try to pack a blanket that doesnt have some level of moisture to later mold.

so my question is does anyone use the blanket racks and what are your opinions of them? does it provide fodder for the mice in the winter? if anyone has had success with them, which ones have been useful? the ones that would not work are the ones that hang on the stall doors as i have youngsters that would think chewing on them and/or pulling them into the stall would be evening entertainment. open to other ideas though and would appreciate any advice

Those storage bags that you hook a vacuum up to, and suck the air out, so it shrinks.

what an absolutely awesome idea.. love it, use them in the house, dont know why i didnt think to send them outside 0 oh thank you thank you thank you

Actually, if you don't use the vaccum type bags, you can almost have the same result by packing the blankets in plastic bags, laying your body weight on top of them to let the air out, and then seal them off.

Would you have room in your tackroom for one or two like this, to hang several of your blankets, where they are exposed to air?

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...3-258687005754

When it is blanket season, I hang all of mine on big hooks that I bought for just a few dollars each at Home Depot. DH put a row of the hooks about 7' high. I can get 2 or 3 blankets on each hook. By hanging then they get the air to them. I also find it easier to just put them on the hook instead of folding them and fitting them on a blanket bar. Most of my horses have 3 blankets each. If the blankets are soaking from rain, I had a couple of these hooks put in the wash rack so the blankets can drip in there.

My blanket rack worked great when I had a tack shed.
    Not so great with an open barn, as the dust is great and the leaf blower used to clear the aisle spreads the dust too.

I use plastic trash cans. stuff the blankets in it. I have a bunch of science diet containers as big as garbage cans which I got free from using so much of their dog food years ago, and I use them for blankets and sheets.
    You can make your own blanket holders over the stall doors by using pvc pipe over cord, or by using bungee cords, but the dust still gathers.