The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PA Boarding/Foaling/Breeding Farm

Looking for a farm in PA that will board, foal out, and rebreed. Mare will be there for 3-4 months. Must have experience foaling; high conception rate for breeding; individual turnout with paddock and run in shed. Top quality care. Any leads would be appreciated.....

Where in PA? It is a big state.

http://www.diamondcrestfarm.com/farmservices.htm

I had a mare foaled out here this year, and couldn't be happier with their services! Adriana Wagner, and her husband Eric are extremely experienced and professional, and are super to deal with.

Judy
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

You could try nandivet.com in south central PA. ( New Freedom)

The farm is owned by a board certified theriogenologist, Dr. Hurtgen. His prices are fair and he does a super job. I have had him foal out 3 for me so far over the years. He deals mostly with Standardbreds, and foals out over 125 mares a year. Thank goodness I took my mare to him last year because the foal presented breech, upside down. He saved the mare and the colt, and only charged me an extra $150.00 for a "difficult delivery." If it were not for his expertise I would have lost them both. Don't expect red carpet treatment, expect professional care. Lisa

Default Pa. Breeding farm

Windy Ridge Farm has been breeding and foaling out mares on a small and very successful basis for the past 20 years. WE are located in South East Pa, in Bethel, Pa. Check us out at WWW.Windyridgefarm.com.

Thanks,
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by idlemoon View Post
    You could try nandivet.com in south central PA. ( New Freedom)

The farm is owned by a board certified theriogenologist, Dr. Hurtgen. His prices are fair and he does a super job. I have had him foal out 3 for me so far over the years. He deals mostly with Standardbreds, and foals out over 125 mares a year. Thank goodness I took my mare to him last year because the foal presented breech, upside down. He saved the mare and the colt, and only charged me an extra $150.00 for a "difficult delivery." If it were not for his expertise I would have lost them both. Don't expect red carpet treatment, expect professional care. Lisa

I have used Nandi several times with mixed results. One was an at risk mare with a red bag foal delivery. That time they were wonderful with the care and the updates on the mare and foal. Another time I was a ship in to have an in heat mare collected/bred to a stallion they stood on site. To say that the handling of the staff of the stallion was "unprofessional" was a major understatement. (Read: the handler was harshly jerking the stallion towards the barn where I the mare owner was standing with the mare in hand muttering loudly the whole time how much they hated handling this @*% stallion that bit them last time and why would anyone want to breed to this SOB...)
    He is good with the breeding and foaling end, but the turnout situation may not be what the OP listed. They would have to ask.
    The *last* mare I took there (07) the mare got a rectal tear being palpated (they did not tell me until 4 days later and continued to palpate the mare), she colicked (left me a message that she colicked and I worriedly called many times for an update......also did not get a return phone call for 4 days at which point my irate local vet called FOR me). The person taking her in at admission refused to take the bucket of feed I had brought for her to mix with theirs to transition her not knowing what they had. She was turned out in a herd and was returned injured. All in all she came home 7 days later unbred with a $600 bill, and lame. (She never did get bred as I refused to allow any more palpations with the rectal tear and brought her home). They then blamed my local vet for the rectal tear. I did get a copy of their vet notes. The rectal tear is noted 4 days into her stay there. If they were going to pin the rectal tear on my local vet then it seems like it would have turned up on an earlier palpation, not 4 days into her stay. I DO understand palp accidents happen. I also think blaming my vet for something that seems to have happened 4 days into her stay there and billing me for their boo boo was *not* cool. My local vet could do fresh but not frozen so we had sent her there for the frequent monitoring needed for frozen jobs.

Dr. Bonnie LaMonte, Nottingham, Pa.
    She is outstanding as are her facilities!

http://www.mousehousefarm.com/

Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Smile

Thanks everyone for the leads!!

We appreciate your help....... :-)

http://www.buckinghorseplace.com

Although her web site doesn't highlight mare care & foaling services, Stacy foaled out my mare this year and she still has my mare & foal (and retired gelding) boarded at her farm. She did an excellent job with the mare care, foaling, and foal-raising. My mare & foal are in great shape. She's a fanatic with nutrition. You will not see ribs on your mare! She has small paddocks with run-in sheds. She uses Unionville Vet, incl. Dr. Crane & Dr. Lee for repro work. Personally, I was more comfortable with this small, friendly set-up than at a large operation like Nandi.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Jill Johnson - Hunters Peak Farm - just got a new farm and she is perfectly set up for breeding / foaling / handling of foals / etc and has in depth experience with high risk foalings as well ...

And is very close to Nandi and New Bolton if required

jfarminc (at) yahoo.com

COTH posters:
    riva - Stacy Lynne http://www.buckinghorseplace.com
    peskee - Dee Osborne http://www.paardhillfarms.com/kwpn_manheim.html

Both are very experienced.

I think Iron Spring Farm also offers these services.
    Dawn

Ditto on Jill Johnson...her new farm is a perfect set up and you can count her her to deliver. She has pics of every delivery hours after the kids hit the ground.

All my girls foaled out beautiully this year. To top it off... My girls are BOTH 2009 Co-Champion Mares for PHSA as well as the 2008 Mare Champion!

Jill's new email is hunterspeakstallions@yahoo.com
    Her site is http://hunterspeak.com/home
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire