The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Veterinarian letter for inspection

When presenting a mare with soundness issues, do you include a letter from your veterinarian explaining the problem and/or injury? If so, have you found that it is taken into consideration or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JCIbarra View Post
    When presenting a mare with soundness issues, do you include a letter from your veterinarian explaining the problem and/or injury? If so, have you found that it is taken into consideration or not?
    While I've never had to do this myself, our good friends and fellow breeders did this with one of their mares. She ended up being awarded the highest mare rating available, and was not discredited at all due to her gait limitation. However, she trotted almost normally but didn't track up properly and it was due to an injury, not any conformational issues.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
    While I've never had to do this myself, our good friends and fellow breeders did this with one of their mares. She ended up being awarded the highest mare rating available, and was not discredited at all due to her gait limitation. However, she trotted almost normally but didn't track up properly and it was due to an injury, not any conformational issues.
    I am interested in knowing how this works as well, as I have a 2 yr old RPSI filly who was injured as a yearling and now has resulting arthritis in her fetlock joint. Which registry are you referring to in the case of your friends' mare? Should she be presented prior to being bred, just to be sure?

Do you need x-rays to back this up or just a veterinarian letter?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I did not even have a vet letter, but my mare's injury to her stifle (an old, penetrating wound to the inside of the stifle joint) was visually obvious. She scored high enough for MMB, but due to no DNA on her TB side, could only make pre-book.

She was 22 at the time, with a HUGE foal at side, so was hardly 'fit' or with good topline.

The inspectors (RPSI) LOVED, LOVED her. The hitch in her giddyup didn't affect her scores at all, as far as I could tell.

I guess you would have to ask your specific breed what the necessity is of a vet certificate. If it's an obvious injury, it may not be necessary at all.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I'm also interested in this...

I acquired a TB mare this year. Lovely mare, trots realatively sound, but has an old injury to her left front that gives the appearance of her toeing in at first glance (I am 100% confident it is not a conformational defect, she has had 5 foals with great legs). Looking closer there is an obvious old injury, however, she was sold at the Keenland Sale as a broodmare, so no documents accompanied her regarding the injury. I don't know if I should just have the vet just look at her, and state that it's an injury, or get radiographs, or hope that the inspectors see it as an injury?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I've presented 2 mares with injuries with letters from their vets. One had a broken leg and a life threatening tendon infection as a yearling, had a small lump where the bone healed and was a little off, but a beautiful mover. The other stepped in a ground hornet's nest (yellow jackets) and got very badly stung all about the head, face and neck - and the next day, she stepped in another one. Her right ear hung at half mast, she couldn't blink and her face was paralyzed and twisted. Her ear is almost upright now, several years later, she can blink, her face is still twisted, hence her nickname, "Twister", and she still has some trouble chewing and needs special feed and good dental care. She also, due to all the swelling and paralysis developed what the vet said was the worst gutteral pouch infection she ever saw so she has a bit of a roaring problem if she canters or gallops too much. She can never do her MPT as she can't be ridden, but man oh man, you should see these two gals foals!!! Interestingly enough, they're mother and daughter. Go figure Both got very decent marks at their inspection, their foals have been Premium or darn close.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I've present two lame mares in the past that were obviously unsound, and both were awarded MMB status. But I was prepared to inform so as not to waste their time. One was already a Ster mare with the KWPN and had also been put into the MMB with the AHS in her earlier years. Her passport was stamped as such. She was pretty dead lame. However, she also had a stellar jumping career as a performance horse. I felt bad having to present her, but I had to in order to get the filly (Boleem) registered with the GOV. The jury was so kind and really didn't ask for much of a trot...She was 21! That "baby" was later entered into the MMB as a maiden.

The other was a younger hunter-bred TB mare by Bit of Class with another lovely Boleem filly at her side. A maiden however with other breeding approvals whatsoever. In her case, I presented her veterinary report from recent scans that deemed her lameness an old "injury" along with a huge list of her accomplishments and regional/IHF championships in the HB breeding class world. This was a top flight mare in early showing, but the injury obviously sidelined her. She was approved MMB approved MMB with the RPSI the same year. Surely, it may have helped that she had a fanastic filly at her side. She showed her breeding in that foal and in that cross.

Bottom line... IME, the most important thing to consider is to present certification that the unsoundness can be proved to have come from a catastophic injury and that it that could not be, in any way, be suspect of any underlying heritary problem. Do your homework and present information, but it must be clear and verified. If you have any old show records, prior to the lameness, present them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post

If you have any old show records, prior to the lameness, present them as well.
    That's a good idea--thanks!! In my case I can only find one recognized show record, but at least it is something--jumper futurity as a four or five year old if I remember right. She subsequently had a career ending injury jumping (er...crashing) an oxer when pushed.

My issue is although I've been told she was injured and will be lame when ridden she sure looks pretty sound right now, and I can't pinpoint exactly where the injury occured. I don't really want to do the whole vet check plus x-rays if I don't have to (ugh...they should have a parking spot for me after my summer). I need to get down and take a closer look at her legs I guess (I just got her home yesterday).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I presented my mare with a tendon injury to Old NA. I brought the discharge letter from her long stay at the hospital which included her diagnosis (complete laceration of the superficial and deep flexor tendons) and prognosis (should be pasture/broodmare sound). I gave the discharge letter to the inspector at registration, he was very kind and offered to have her just walk and not trot the triangle for her inspection. I actually requested to trot her - her lameness is mechanical at this point and not painful, and her trot is her better gait, although the bad leg doesn't track up like it should. She got mediocre movement scores (6s) but still made the MMB with no problems.