The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ugh!! I'm in shock and sad (I wrote an email to RFDTV see post 1 for email)

My husband records this show R5Sons Alaska on RFDTV (I think that's the channel). It's about this family in Alaska who have some sort of lodge and are expanding on it or something like that. That part isn't really important.
    They have horses and take a few to an outpost 20 miles away or so. They ride some and the rest carry supplies. In the last episode I saw that they had a horse tied up with a long rope letting it graze. Warning bells went off in my head and I said to my husband, that looks pretty scary and dangerous! He did the patting me on the knee thing and said I'm sure they know what they're doing. I said what ever...
    This brings us to the episode last night that my husband said I just had to watch because the horses were in it. I say okay, so I sit through them building a log cabin for 45 minutes and I'm like I need to go to bed this is boring. He says just wait and see what happens. The camera pans over to a poor horse lying on the ground and I gasp.
    The horse was tangled up in that d@mn rope! Lying there with a nylon halter on with blood coming out of it's mouth. The rope was so tightly wound around his back legs and front legs, they looked swollen and the horse had just given up. I start crying and saying this is horrible. He says just watch the horse is going to be okay. I say that horse is not okay. They cut the rope and the horse takes forever to get up. Once he does he can barely walk. The guy on the show says "see he's okay". The horse was NOT okay. I looked at my husband and said "just because some idiot on TV says the horse is okay does not make it true!". I stoped watching it right there and said I will never watch that idiotic show again. As far as I know they didn't even get a vet to fly in (they have a helicopter that the dad had flown in on earlier). I am so sad I can't get that poor horse out of my head! Why would those reality TV shows show something horrible like that?
    Did any of you see that?

Okay this is the email I sent out to RFDTV:
    I am in total shock over the most recent episode of R5Sons Alaska.
    I was watching this show with my husband the other night. The camera panned over to a poor horse lying on the ground and I gasped.
    The horse was tangled up in a rope! Lying there with a nylon halter on with blood coming out of it's mouth. The rope was so tightly wound around his back legs and front legs, they looked swollen and the horse had given up. They cut the rope and the horse took forever to get up. Once he does get up from them kicking him he can barely walk. The guy on the show says "see he's okay". This horse was NOT okay. His legs were swollen 4 times the size they should be and he could barely walk. There is no telling how long that horse had been like that before they checked on him. It had to be quite a while for him to be in that shape. I don't understand why a vet was not brought in to check this animal out. There are so many things wrong with the way that animal was treated.
    I will never get the thought of that poor horse wobbling away out of my mind. I have no problem with horses being used for pack animals, but I draw the line at abuse.
    I cannot believe your website says the following about the show!
    "Call the family together! Beginning Tuesday, July 7th R5Sons will begin broadcasting on RFD-TV. This is true family entertainment where the entire family can laugh, wonder and cry together."
    Now to top it off I see this quote on their facebook page:

R5Sons, Alaska Glacier, one of the lodge horses had a close call. She got her halter twisted on a corral pole and was choking when Steve Sr. and Chase found her. They managed to cut her free just in time. The horse will be fine, but in her struggle she tore down three sections of fencing. On top of that, the rest of the horses have run off again! Chase is working to mend the fences and find the herd before more guests arrive.
    These people are truly clueless. A leather halter or nylon halter with a break away could have prevented both of these instances.
    We will never watch your channel again and I'm sure there are many other people out there that feel the same way.
    Last edited by Maybeapril; Jul. 31, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: update
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

Ugh. That must have been awful to watch. And I hope the man was just saying it's ok for the sake of the cameras/tv audience and did arrange vet care. Poor horse.

I remember going to a local rodeo when I was about 16 or 17 (FWIW--I wasn't a big fan then and don't watch them now at all). The ring was made up of metal gates tied together and during the saddle bronc riding, one of the horses kept bucking while up against the rail. I was concerned but not petrified when the horrific happened--when the horse's hind legs came down from a buck, the left hind slipped through the opening between the bars and snapped off just below the hock. Yes, snapped off. Hanging by a small patch of skin. Horse tried to take off galloping 3-legged with the left hind flopping in the air, screaming all the while. I remember bursting into tears and burying my head in my mom's lap. The rodeo staffers were great and they got the horse down on a tarp and carried him out. There was an announcement a bit later that the vet had seen him and he was "fine." Sure he was. Like some vetwrap and Corona was gonna fix that. Logically, I know that doesn't happen at all rodeos or at all barns that use metal gates for rings or round pens, but I'll never forget that night or that poor fella.

Sorry to hijack. Nothing will take the memory away of seeing that horse tangled in the rope, but it will be a safety reminder for you going forward. And hopefully an opportunity to educate your hubby a bit. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't see it, nor do I want to!

Since you DID see it... send RFDTv an email or phone call and ream them!
    If everyone does, it may help!

That stuff sticks in my brain forever! I never forget seeing it. Always comes up when I am in a funk, like some kind of brain wiring mechanism that kicks in. Sorry, you're stuck with it forever too!

Yes - write the television company and ream them!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

A while back some other "reality" show had the morons "hunting" a pig. I didn't see the episode but evidently none of these Mensa members knew how to hunt or kill something humanely. It was a bad death. I guess lots of viewers were upset.

Then it leaked out that the poor animal had been drugged.

Don't know all the details on that or what happened (probably nothing).

Yeah it was really bad! I'm going to sent them an email right now. I'm still so angry about it. My husband feels so bad and better not ever watch that trash again!

This is what I'm going to send. Should I add anything?

I was watching this show with my husband the other night. The camera pans over to a poor horse lying on the ground and I gasp.
    The horse was tangled up in a rope! Lying there with a nylon halter on with blood coming out of it's mouth. The rope was so tightly wound around his back legs and front legs, they looked swollen and the horse had given up. They cut the rope and the horse takes forever to get up. Once he does get up from them kicking him he can barely walk. The guy on the show says "see he's okay". This horse was NOT okay. His legs were swollen 4 times the size they should be and he could barely walk. There is no telling how long that horse had been like that before they checked on him. It had to be quite a while for him to be in that shape. I don't understand why a vet was not brought in to check this animal out. There are so many things wrong with the way that animal was treated.
    I will never get the thought of that poor horse wobbling away out of my mind. I have no problem with horses being used for pack animals, but I draw the line at abuse.
    We will never watch your channel again and I'm sure there are many other people out there that feel the same way.

It takes a lot of sponsor $$$$$ to get onto even RFD TV. That's why we lost Dressage Unlimited.

Do you have a list of the sponsors of that show? How about a link to the channel?

I will gladly let them know that this kind of programming is the worst thing they can put their money into. Sponsors and channel.
    What a crying shame. Poor horses.

http://www.rfdtv.com/default.asp

Here is the link to the channel. You might have to copy and paste.

I just found this on their facebook. It seems like a totally different awful thing that happend to one of their horses.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/R5Sons...a/117720091795

"Glacier, one of the lodge horses had a close call. She got her halter twisted on a corral pole and was choking when Steve Sr. and Chase found her. They managed to cut her free just in time. The horse will be fine, but in her struggle she tore down three sections of fencing. On top of that, the rest of the horses have run off again! Chase is working to mend the fences and find the herd before more guests arrive."

I watched it once. They turned the whole herd out to eat- wherever. No bell mare, no one trained to come to a bell for grain, nothing. Spent what seemed like an eternity tracking them down.

A horse can be trained to picket safely. Notice I said Trained. Tying one out and praying isn't training.

I knew when the 'family meeting' scene featured Mom, Dad, and endless six pack abs on their countless, shirtless, boy-spawn, that this show was Too Stupid To Watch. And I watch Real Housewives LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeapril View Post
    This is what I'm going to send. Should I add anything?

I was watching this show with my husband the other night. The camera pans over to a poor horse lying on the ground and I gasp.
    The horse was tangled up in a rope! Lying there with a nylon halter on with blood coming out of it's mouth. The rope was so tightly wound around his back legs and front legs, they looked swollen and the horse had given up. They cut the rope and the horse takes forever to get up. Once he does get up from them kicking him he can barely walk. The guy on the show says "see he's okay". This horse was NOT okay. His legs were swollen 4 times the size they should be and he could barely walk. There is no telling how long that horse had been like that before they checked on him. It had to be quite a while for him to be in that shape. I don't understand why a vet was not brought in to check this animal out. There are so many things wrong with the way that animal was treated.
    Sounds like the ranting of a crazed lunatic and, as the lawyers say, "assumues a lot facts not in evidence".

Do you just want to vent your spleen or do you want to present a reasoned, logical opinion as to why this was NOT an acceptable thing to be showing on tv?

How about something semi-civilized like:

I was extremely disappointed with a particular scene in a recent episode of R5Sons Alaska. [Indicate the exact name/number of the episode if you know it.] In this episode, a lodge pack horse had become entangled in a rope and was lying helpless on the ground. The duration of this entrapment and the struggle that ensued was such that blood was coming from the horse's mouth and its legs were extremely swollen.

When released, the horse gained his footing with great difficulty and was reluctant to move. To all appearances, the people involved were callous and unconcerned with the horse's condition and did not seem to be contemplating doing much in way of aleviating the horse's pain and discomfort -- much less seeking qualified veterinary assistance. Even by crude backcountry standards, this should be unacceptable.

Thank you for your time and I hope you will consider the sensiblities of your viewing audience in future episodes.

cowgirlup2009 Guest

Do you guys even know what its like to own horses in Alaska? Well I can tell you this much its not easy. We have to have everything shipped in feed, supplies, etc. and its expensive. and just for an FYI you can't just call the vet to come out and look at the horse they have to fly in because we are in the middle of NO WHERE!!!!!. As for turning the horses out to eat where ever thats normal in the remote areas because there isn't a whole lot of pasture around and we just let our horses go and find some pasture thats normal. and if you think R5Sons, Alaska is trash I would love to find out what all you guys think is great tv.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup2009 View Post
    Do you guys even know what its like to own horses in Alaska? Well I can tell you this much its not easy. We have to have everything shipped in feed, supplies, etc. and its expensive. and just for an FYI you can't just call the vet to come out and look at the horse they have to fly in because we are in the middle of NO WHERE!!!!!. As for turning the horses out to eat where ever thats normal in the remote areas because there isn't a whole lot of pasture around and we just let our horses go and find some pasture thats normal. and if you think R5Sons, Alaska is trash I would love to find out what all you guys think is great tv.
    Well I'm from Alaska and I can tell you that stuff like what was described isn't anymore acceptable or common there than it is anywhere. We can take good care of our horses in Alaska just like everywhere.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Do you guys even know what its like to own horses in Alaska? Well I can tell you this much its not easy. We have to have everything shipped in feed, supplies, etc. and its expensive. and just for an FYI you can't just call the vet to come out and look at the horse they have to fly in because we are in the middle of NO WHERE!!!!!.
    And that gives you carde blanche for animal cruelty?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

cowgirlup2009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    And that gives you carde blanche for animal cruelty?
    no its called we do the best that we can with the emergencies and if we have to and depending on what it is we decide what is best for the horse. we had a horse about three years ago who was attacked by a bear and we had to shoot him to put him down because there was nothing we could have done even if a vet had come there was nothing he could have done.

no its called we do the best that we can with the emergencies and if we have to and depending on what it is we decide what is best for the horse. we had a horse about three years ago who was attacked by a bear and we had to shoot him to put him down because there was nothing we could have done even if a vet had come there was nothing he could have done.
    Ooookay, so you guys can't have leather halters shipped in? Or breakaway halters? Horses have to be turned out or picketed in nylon halters that can cause a horse serious injury or death if they become entangled? I don't understand what being in Alaska and having to "do the best you can" has to do with ignoring common sense horse safety?

Accidents happen. No one is arguing that. And no one is arguing the fact that you might have to do things differently there. But there is no reason that precautions can't be taken in the first place.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there humane laws in effect when animals are used in any kind of filming, even reality show filming? Doesn't there have to be proper medical attention given when an animal is injured while filming?
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

I call BS on the bear story.

And even if true, why don't you figure out a way to house/protect horses from bears, as that is a real risk in Alaska?

PS What the heck are you doing with horses in those remote areas, anyway? Wouldn't that mean you have to fly them in to get them there in the first place? Wouldn't snowmobiles and ATV's be a better means of transportation. Or are you are outfitters and cut costs by keeping horses on the cheap.

See, this is where we need animal rights--to protect them from the survivalist wing nuts.

I'd guess they don't use leather halters because the whole point of picketing a horse is for him to STAY where you PUT him. Otherwise, they might be trying to track him down in miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. It's not like it is for citi-fied folk whose Precious Poopsie won't get much further than the end of the barn when he goes all stupid and can't stand tied.

And I don't reckon they have to fly horses into "remote areas"; the horses can WALK in. That's kinda the whole point of HAVING horses in remote areas -- so you DON'T have to have to try to get machinery in there (and the gas to run said machinery). And horses can go lots of places ATV's can't. It's not like it is for citi-fied folk whose Precious Poopsie is a surrogate diety/spouse/offspring.

I'm not sure what we need to protect the general population from sissi-fied citiots and horse worshippers who think all horses should be some extension of their Precious Poopsie.

Anyway, it looks like Precious Poopsie in no-so-remote Florida has a better chance of being killed and eaten by a human critter than most Alaskan horses have of being attacked by a bear. Maybe the question should be why the heck do people in Florida have horses?

Point taken greysandbays, however, I'd imagine that it takes a fair bit less money and effort to replace a leather halter and track down a missing horse than it would to replace the horse after it snapped its neck fighting with a nylon halter. Yes, even working horses get stupid about being tied and kill themselves. Accidents happen everywhere.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris