The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Crossing TBs/WBs with LARGE Welshes/Connemaras...Is it done?

Please don't flame me for my ignorance!

Growing up, two of the horses that stood out in my mind were pony/horse crosses that were in the 16.1h range. One was a grey Connemara/TB who was at a big name A circuit H/J barn and boy did he ever hold his own. Nearing his 20's he was still cleaning up in the show ring. He looked like a warmblood, but had a pony face (sort of like Aloha) and plenty of mane/tail He was a blast to ride and really loved his job.

The other was a young Dutch/Connemara cross who was one heck of a pony club horse and did everything well. Just as nice of a mover as the above horse.

I know people cross WBs & TBs with smaller welshes for large ponies, but is this type of cross ever done? Why or why not?

I'm doing it... Some of the best horses I've known were TB/Conn crosses so I am crossing my TB stallion to my large Conn mare. And if I can get my hands on another Conn mare I'll do it again. I had a Conn/WB mare that I produced by crossing my 15.2 hand WB mare to a 15.1 hand Conn stallion. She was the most amazing filly! Jumps 4+ ft and currently doing 4th level dressage very successfully. Wish I hadn't sold her! LOL

I like a 15.1-16 hand horse though...
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

Connemara/TB is a very common cross...in fact, we have a Conn/TB weanling right now! I know I have seen some Connemara/WB crosses, but not as often as the TBs.

Hope that helps! If you want more info, you can always check out the Connemara Pony Society website.
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com

In my opinion TB/connemaras are easily THE most versatile, dynamic and accomplished horses you will ever come across. I have owned a number of horses being this cross for the decades when I competed seriously. Each and every one of them was absolutely expert at their job and won me a lot of prizes. They are competent and thoroughly agreeable in almost every field or discipline, they have terrific presence and are beautiful creatures to-boot. The TB/connemara is a very sought after cross in Britain because it ticks all the boxes.

I have moved away from this cross as I do something different now but if I was ever to go back to seriously competing I know fine well what I would be looking to accompany me to that playing field - it would most certainly be a TB/connemara.

I didn't realize that was such a common cross! I guess if I didn't know the owners of the two geldings I mentioned above, I would have just figured they were "just another" warmblood.

Twistoffate, I too like the 15.1-16 range. My mare is 16.1 but a "short" 16.1; the Trake mare I had was also 16.1 but I could have sworn she could make herself 17+ when she felt like it (which was often). I wonder how the breeders of the horses mentioned in my OP managed to "get" foals resulting the heights they did.

Conn/TB is VERY popular and proven cross.

Conn/WB is becoming more common and growing in popularity. Goodpony (who owns the Connemara stallion Wildwych Eclipse) has some VERY NICE Conn/WB crosses.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I'm also curious what these foals could be registered as, aside from Half Welsh?

The crosses with TBs and WBs are becoming much more popular. Check out www.garnercreekfarms.com/news.html they have several super looking Connemara/Hanoverian crosses I would die to have!! I have always been a fan of the Welsh/TBs and the Conn/TB crosses and still have yet to own one but I will in the future for sure! They seem perfect for the small ladies (like me who are 5'3-5'4") and I love to event so they are perfect!! There is a mare who is a Connemara/Hanoverian who is scoring 70 +% in my region and you cannot even tell she has pony in her! I want her clone..

My friend's eventer I go on and on about is a Conn/TB cross (Connemara stallion to small TB mare). Her best eventer when she was a kid was a large Connemara pony, so she knew what to look for. In the "you never know what you might get" warning, he's matured to nearly 17 hands and most of it is legs The breeder thought she'd get a pony! The funniest thing is, he's actually scared of ponies. We had a trail ride with my friend on him, me on her old gelding, and another friend on a 13 hand Icey and he was all puffed up and scared of the Icey. He's doing well at Novice and Training level eventing and will easily make a Prelim horse, possibly even Intermediate.

One of my favorite photos of him.

The American Connemara Pony Society gives all sorts of awards for half-Connemaras. This seems to be a great cross!

We have bred ConnxWB (more dressage type), ConxTB (more event/dressage type), ConxArab (more riding pony type) and all have been wonderful versatile youngsters with excellent character. My husband has retained a super Connemara x Hanoverian that he will start next season. I expect him to do well at whatever he turns a hoof too, his temperament, movement and natural jumping talents are well above average. At a recent show the judge described him as an "athletic powerhouse"...we think she is right! The person who helps us with our cross training asked if he could be used for a "colt starting clinic": he was walk, trot, canter in a weekend (he is rising three). The other 'demo' horse (Con x TB) who has had some training already and is much older was too nervous/tense to participate in the live demonstration. All of our colts full siblings have been sold on and the owner has bred another (the fourth one from this cross!). I have another client who has just bred her second ConnemaraxHolstiener the first being very attractive and good minded. Be careful, Connemaras and their crosses are like potato chips!

Ive thought about breeding my Selle Francias mare to a Connemara. What stallions are out there?
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

I have thought a few times that in the future I would breed my Sec A welsh stallion to a big WB for an ammy horse for my self( getting a 15.2ish)...Right now the focus is on lg ponies.
    Gates Equestrian
    National Champion Dan Patch sire of USEF/USHJA winning ponies!
    [url]www.gateseqsmfponies.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    Ive thought about breeding my Selle Francias mare to a Connemara. What stallions are out there?
    Stallions I'd Suggest:

Wildwych Eclipse
    *Ard Celtic Art
    *Robuck
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Thanks for sharing the photos, and the stallion suggestions. Any other examples would be greatly appreciated

Sudden Impact ridden by Jamie Smart around Rolex in about '88 was a TB/Connemara cross.

Lisa Fergusson just lost her Section D/TB, Uni Griffon, at Maui Jim a couple of weeks ago after finishing first after dressage and fast and clean x-c. Just died after coolout.

Check out Rory O'Sullivan at M&MConnemaras - at l3.2 hh he does the JUMPERS, plus dressage and driving in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Lisa Fergusson just lost her Section D/TB, Uni Griffon, at Maui Jim a couple of weeks ago after finishing first after dressage and fast and clean x-c. Just died after coolout.

That's too bad. Looked like he loved his job.

http://www.stockimageservices.nl/det...d=166&pid=4860

Hi there,

We're seeing a lot of success with the outcrosses with our Welsh D, Cardi. You can see photos and videos at www.eqequestrian.com and www.winterlakewelsh.com. There are crosses to Dutch, Holsteiner, Hanoverian, Swedish, TB, and a few others. The first ones are being started under saddle now and show a lot of promise towards the top levels of dressage as well as eventing. They have also been highly successful in hand and at their inspections.

Of course, the right mare needs to be crossed on the stallion, but, in general, I think the market is shifting and people are starting to value the qualities that Welsh, Connemara, etc can contribute to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonD View Post
    I'm also curious what these foals could be registered as, aside from Half Welsh?

The Connemara crosses can be registered with ACPS as Connemara Halfbreds.

In the Connemara Halfbred classes at shows, about half the entries are TC x Conn, and the other half are splt between Welsh x Conn and Arab/ QH / WB x Conn.

I would imagine they can also be registered with AWS, etc.

Morning Glory Farm
    http://www.morninggloryfarm-horses.com/5152.html
    Specializes in Connemara x WB (though they also bred Conn x TB) and there are LOTS of pictures on the site.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I love Connemaras TB crosses. One of my nicest mares is a TBxConn imported from the UK who did **'s there. Beautiful grey mare, lovely movement, great jump, has never had a XC jumping fault. Brave and kind. Cute pony head, thick mane and tail.
    A Fine Romance has been bred to a few other TBxConn mares, by Erin Go Bragh and Grange Finn Sparrow, among others, but not to any full Connemaras.

I would still love to get one for myself though.
    #ThankYouHillary