The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Visual difference between sarcoid and melanoma?

I have searched previous threads and found some interesting info, but still no definite for me.

My grey POA mare had a lump on her hiney, in the 'pants' area halfway between top of tail and top of gaskin. It appeared I'm guessing (since I wasn't noticing) maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Was the size of a small grape.

Yesterday it burst into a small bloody mess, and today it's as if a grape has popped out and is hanging there. I tried to pull it but it's still too attached. There is a hole left.

What might I have here? No other lumps or bumps noticed.....yet.....

Thanks
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Sounds like a melanoma. A clients horse here is a roan grey and has lots of melanoma's but the one on her neck almost on the crest so is hidden a bit by her mane will burst open like that every once in a while. Talk to your vet there is several options you can try.

Forgot to mention: also years ago we used to get "summer sores" that had a parasite in them that also sounds like that, we never have had them since zimectrian came on the market.

You need to get it biopsied to make sure it isn't a Squamous Cell Carcinoma which is also fairly common in grays and pintos and can definitely fit the description you give. I lost a mare to one a few months ago after having it removed three years ago (it came back despite chemo). Don't fool around with it - make sure you know what you're dealing with.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.