The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gas in the diesel truck

OMG. I could kill my husband right now. It finally stalled out a few miles down the road and is now towed to the mechanic's shop.

Is it dead or revivable?

Totally revivable ...

If it was dead, it would have blown the heads off and you would have known THAT had happened!

Be thankful it stalled rather than blowing up ...

They just need to drain the gas, clean the lines and put diesel back in there but it should be okay

Rule of thumb is that its MUCH better to make a mistake and run diesel in a gas engine than vice versa. You'll just get a whole whack of smoke and a sputtering engine but running it the other way around can blow the heads right off due to the lower combustion rate on the gas versus diesel

Slap him silly - it is still going to cost you a few hundred dollars to clean up this mess! And they will also probably charge you a "dumping" fee to get rid of the contaminated gas that cant be used anywhere else

Ah, I'm just thinking of the "paybacks"---I think this is good for one extra horse trial this year, no?

What about filters...do they all have to be replaced?

Nancy

If it just stalled and nothing blew up you should be repairable (you would have known if it had blown). The entire fuel system and gas tank will have to be drained and flushed, new filters all around, and depending on how far and how much was in the engine they may have to flush that as well. A friend of mine did this to her truck, and before it stalled or blew she realized it and pulled over, cost close to $1000 to clean everything out and re-filled.

Quick and dirty solution.

Something similar happened to some motorcycle racing friends of mine, on the way to Daytona. One of the group didn't reaize it was a diesel, and put in regular gasoline. Luckily they realized it before they started the engine.

They dumped a WHOLE BUNCH of clean engine oil in the tank, and ran it until it was half gone. Then they added MORE engine oil, and filled it up with diesel, then just kept going with the diesel.

Nothing was damaged. They made it to Daytona without further incident.

The main problem with running gasoline in a diesel engine is that diesel is lubricating, gasoline is not.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Just spoke to hubby. He used to be a diesel truck mechanic and still works on some big transmissions and engines for vessels / ships / etc now

Diesel works on a combustion / ignition principle the drop dead centre point is very small to allow ignition to drive the engine. With a gas engine, that distance is 3 times larger and it relies on a spark plug to create the ignition

When you put gas in a diesel engine, the huge difference in ignition ratio's creates enough pressure that it can blow the cylinder heads right off. Thankfully that doesnt appear to be what happened here

he said they will need to drain the tank and then blow out all of the fuel lines, change the filters, re prime it and see what happens

*IF* you are lucky your injection system will be intact. Diesel has oil within the fuel itself and that lubricates the injectors. Gas doesnt and the few mile drive before the engine conked out may have been enough to fry the injection system as well

He estimated that it could easily run $750.00 - $1000.00 to get everything put back right again *IF* the injectors are okay

Good luck and I think you are looking at MANY MANY extra horse trials this year as payback ...

Janet - just read your response now. The BIG difference here is the fact the engine was started and the truck was driven for "a few miles". I have stupidly done the same thing years ago but I realized it AS I was pumping the gas into there and I stopped called hubby and asked what I needed to do. He said that since there was still diesel in the fuel lines, drain the tank, fill it right back up with diesel to the very top and whatever minute amount of gas would still be remaining would be diluted by the diesel and wouldnt cause any damage. Thats the big difference - the fact that the gas was running through the system for quite some time - enough to do some possible damage

I am going to guess he ran it for about 10 miles although I don't think he'll really fess up. I was late to work today when I saw him coming home in the front seat of the tow truck. It's one of those things that he would have fessed up to somewhere down the line after a few toddies...if he could get away with it.

I hope the injection system is not fried. I bet he hopes it's not either.

I seriously was speechless.

I think we can start a whole fun thread on "DH's bonehead move of the week."

The last bonehead move was when I was at a Horse Trial...he woke up and noticed shadows in the front lawn. He wondered why the neighbor's horses were there. After a while, he realized that they were OUR horses. Yep, he forgot to shut the gate. This is the same man that thinks eventing is like some weird japanese game show with the goal being "don't get eliminated."

Never a dull moment around our place. The mechanic down the road is the happiest man alive since we moved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Quick and dirty solution.

Something similar happened to some motorcycle racing friends of mine, on the way to Daytona. One of the group didn't reaize it was a diesel, and put in regular gasoline. Luckily they realized it before they started the engine.

They dumped a WHOLE BUNCH of clean engine oil in the tank, and ran it until it was half gone. Then they added MORE engine oil, and filled it up with diesel, then just kept going with the diesel.

Nothing was damaged. They made it to Daytona without further incident.

The main problem with running gasoline in a diesel engine is that diesel is lubricating, gasoline is not.
    That is basically what our troops did with the diesel vehicles in the Gulf War. They ran JP4 (jet fuel..basically kerosene) and poured engine oil in the tanks to dirty it up. They ran out of diesel and had to do something to get the vehicles running.

I once added about 5 gallons of gas to my diesel's tank before I realized my mistake. I topped it off with diesel (30 gallon tank) and I never noticed a difference.

Never a dull moment around our place. The mechanic down the road is the happiest man alive since we moved in.
    Oh Nancy - I have to laugh at your comment but I feel for you. Its usually me doing these dumb moves but thank God I realize it before it gets worse and I put in my SOS to hubby asking what I need to do to fix it before it costs us money

Let us know how you make out. 10 miles isnt good ... not good at all ...

I had to have my fuel lines drained etc and it was right around $750. Hope your injectors are o.k.
    A friend lent me her truck and trailer for a quick horse switch and as I was refilling I could not for the life of me remember if it was gas or diesel, since it said nothing and there was nothing on the dash I went on with the gas. I felt like a fool, but at least I did not blow her truck up. They should have a big D stamped on the cap, for dummy (me)

Ditto here, less than $500 IIRC but if you count the cost of the gas they had to throw away, day lost, meals and the hotel room it's right up to $750 or more.

BP station in I think Nebraska, different color coding at the pumps, truck ran long enough to use up the diesel, big backfire/poof of black smoke, ran for a few minutes to the rest stop and then refused to start.

Evidently a consistent source of income for the local Ford dealership as the tow truck was included in their bill. Drain, flush, new filters. Truck has suffered no lasting ill effects as far as we can tell, made the rest of the trip and back across country just fine. Just another DH adventure.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    BP station in I think Nebraska, different color coding at the pumps,
    This is why I refuse to use BP stations. They jacket their gas pump nozzles with green. Green to me means diesel... not worth the risk IMO

My DH would be so mad if I did that. However, if he did it, there would be some reason for his mistake. I think you can get a lot of mileage out of this!!

Now I know the look that goes with the term "sheepish"--yes I think this is good for more than one extra horse trial this year. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Nancy

Yup, one extra horse trail this year.
    Had he blown the heads it would be good for one extra horse this year!
    There's an older thread on DHs and their bonehead moves...if I find it I'll post a link here. It was hilarious!
    Many of us could write a book on the "woops" moments. And it's always fun to read about it on here because there's only so many times you can mention it at home before you start getting the Stink Eye from the husband.
    ETA, found it!
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=54776
    Fun reading with tons of giggles.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thought there is a difference in the nozzle sizes for gas and diesel so you can't mix them
    up....no????

Yes, the diesel hose is larger so you don't put diesel into a gas engine. He put gas into a diesel engine. oops.

Quote Originally Posted by NMK View Post
    I think we can start a whole fun thread on "DH's bonehead move of the week."

The last bonehead move was when I was at a Horse Trial...he woke up and noticed shadows in the front lawn. He wondered why the neighbor's horses were there. After a while, he realized that they were OUR horses. Yep, he forgot to shut the gate.
    Let's throw in a NLDXW thought. (That's No Longer Dear Ex Wife) The idiot decided to enter the farm through the back driveway one night. It's raining and she didn't want to get out to open the gate so she just rode the gate down with the truck. Tore up the gate, tore up the truck's exhaust system and let 52 head of cattle and horses out in a driving thunderstorm. She could have come home the normal way and not had to fool with a closed gate. I should have ex'd her long before I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Let's throw in a NLDXW thought. (That's No Longer Dear Ex Wife) The idiot decided to enter the farm through the back driveway one night. It's raining and she didn't want to get out to open the gate so she just rode the gate down with the truck. Tore up the gate, tore up the truck's exhaust system and let 52 head of cattle and horses out in a driving thunderstorm. She could have come home the normal way and not had to fool with a closed gate. I should have ex'd her long before I did.

NLDXW--holy loose cows. Glad to see the x part on that one. I think I'll call mine DSH--Dear Sheepish Husband. Or Dear S&ithead Husband, depending on the outcome of this latest debacle.